obtaining a small amount of sterling

jwest10

Apart from the obvious and can get transfers very easily via and pounds get converted to Baht but when going to the UK there is at least an entry fee of 10 pounds per adult and five pounds 
Where apart from banks can I get pounds for and only want a small amount,
thank you
I want to get some sterling while in thailand before a trip to the UK and apart from the banks how can I do this and the 2 confused or others please help.
There is a charge to get in to the UK now or is that not the case.
I live here and would want some sterling as only got a debit card and obviously could not use it until going through custome.

Edited by jwest10
trying to explain
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Go to a Thai bank. 

Thanks should be no problem and when I get Thai the banks already convert it. by internet banking

Yes was just wondering as they like to make some things difficult for us foreigners and other rules but not complaining as we are only guests, even though we bring up a family
Thank yoy and did say apart from the bank but cheers in time will do.

Edited by jwest10
more content
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jwest10 said:

Thanks should be no problem and when I get Thai the banks already convert it. by internet banking

Yes was just wondering as they like to make some things difficult for us foreigners and other rules but not complaining as we are only guests, even though we bring up a family
Thank yoy and did say apart from the bank but cheers in time will do.

Sorry to tell you that I personally have NEVER had anything made more difficult because I am a falang. If you consider yourself as 'just a guest' and act accordingly, you WILL get into problems

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Sorry to tell you that I personally have NEVER had anything made more difficult because I am a falang. If you consider yourself as 'just a guest' and act accordingly, you WILL get into problems

Thanks for you help and sorry do not know ok  Thank you was just asking a polite question?

Edited by jwest10
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

There is a charge to get in to the UK now or is that not the case.

There is no "entry fee" to get into the UK.  Not sure why you cant use your debit card.  You can always exchange some cash THB to GBP at your departure airport.  Simples.

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

There is no "entry fee" to get into the UK.  Not sure why you cant use your debit card.  You can always exchange some cash THB to GBP at your departure airport.  Simples.

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Upnotover. Yes never been back to Blighty in 12 years but you can do this at Bangkok airport then? thanks

Edited by jwest10
spelling
  • Confused 1

I just turn up to any exchange booth and ask them to exchange Baht into whatever currency you want. If they don't have it, they should tell you another booth to go to, if it is a well known one.

I changed 70K+ in exchange for AUD$3000. I got quotes from 3 booths and ended up with a good rate. But you should have no problem if you want a small amount. 

Have to admit though, at this difficult time they may not be holding a lot of foreign currency. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Go to a Thai bank. 

Depends where the OP lives.................. he would not get Sterling in my province, the banks do not carry stocks.

OP.... can I ask where you are based ?

In any event you will not need Sterling cash until after leaving baggage reclaim and there are ATMs in arrivals.

Edited by hotandsticky

20 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Depends where the OP lives.................. he would not get Sterling in my province, the banks do not carry stocks.

In any event you will not need Sterling cash until after leaving baggage reclaim and there are ATMs in arrivals.

Hi Hot and sticky
One of the banks scb no longer here but merged with Kanchaburi but got the Government Savings Bank and very good point

37 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Your still go Thai bank and ask them to order the currency like you would in any country.

• Like 1