Koh Tao Punishes Tourists without masks with Push Ups

snoop1130

10 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

And what happens if someone can't do the required 20? How about just talking to them and saying you have to wear a mask... like normal people would do

Because the authorities of poorer nations use punishment to improve memory and stop future transgressions- what good what talking do to prevent a reoccurrence?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Dont you mean grow up farangs and obey the emergency decree and wear a mask when out and about.

As said in previous posts they are easily available, not difficult to follow the rules (well for most)

Jeez ... by doing push ups? Some ppl have their head so deep into something else ... can't you see it? What's going on? 

Even my Thai girl has a more open minded opinion about that than you! She hates that kind of control pushed down, where does that come from?

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, riverhigh said:

legality and in this heat? A very European response, always finding an excuse for the person not complying with the law. No wonder why there are so many deaths in Europe caused by covid-19.

Lighten up! European response? Would have preferred African... Asian... South American... Eurasian...etc? As for the law... I flow it... no matter in what country I am in. For laws are to be followed. Don't have to agree with them or even understand the logic (if any) beyond them. But as I said... this is  cute and is  good punishment for breaking the mask regulations.... bravo! But ... what tourists. Those who have been here for the past months should know better and yes....  "Drop and give me 20!"

But you don't have to be so combative in response to my opinion... well... without being able to verify what I posted as being wrong.

Furthermore for the record,  I do not believe that the reopening that is being tried... or contemplated is actually a good idea now. We should all wait for at least until the end of June say. As the schools are here. But this country I do not think has the capability financially on a local public or family level to weather it. That I do worry about along with the rest of the World's capability.

Edited by iamariva1957
Typos
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davedub said:

I see this kind of "punishment" highly disrespectful and as an extremely worrying indication of underlying attitude. This sort of behaviour is borne of a desire to bully. These are the actions of those who enjoy exerting power over others, playing out their own little power trip. Quite simply, this is abuse of power. Left unchecked, this sort of behaviour will inevitably escalate and should never be condoned.

Obviously you have never been in the military and I don’t mean in Thailand

• Sad 7

10 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

And what happens if someone can't do the required 20? How about just talking to them and saying you have to wear a mask... like normal people would do

Maybe normal people would wear them...tourists or Thais have had two months to get in line and wear a mask while outside.. it's advertised and in the Thai and Expat/Tourist news everywhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Because Thailand is not a normal place. Someone thinks this is a good idea, I think it is ridiculous as will any normal, thinking person. I would just refuse and say I will wear one from now on, what are they going to do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Are face masks obligatory on the streets? Didn’t see this law..

face masks have been obligatory since the emergency decree started... you must wear one if you leave home.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Normal people listen , they are urging people to wear masks for a few months already now and these people still aren't listening . 

• Like 1

Christ , can’t believe people whinging about this novel idea, bringing a bit of humour into this horrible situation.

most of you, including myself could possibly benefit to lose a few kgs from this lighthearted way to penalise those too ignorant to think of others.

rant over

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Normal people listen , they are urging people to wear masks for a few months already now and these people still aren't listening . 

the type of masks people are wearing are disposable medical masks. They are no real protection on you getting the virus, they are designed to prevent you contaminating open wounds during surgery for example. They can be useful when you have the virus and it reduces the droplets when you cough or sneeze, that's all. The virus can also enter through your eyes so if you are near somebody who has the virus the mask is pretty useless. Now if you were wearing a fully sealed mask that is designed to filter germs and a pair of fully sealing goggles thats a different story but I don't see people wearing those, just the disposable medical masks. For you to stop getting the infection washing your hands very thoroughly and maintaing social distancing is far more effective, or better still stay in behind a closed door,,, simple as that.

• Like 2

I would encourage foreigners to wear masks in public places, for the very reason that it's a symbol of awareness that the Corona virus should be taken seriously, as is social distancing, and hand washing, and not just ignored or dismissed as being ineffectual - even if that's the (current) science.

But on Koh Tao death island, I'm in agreement that this 'punishment' is one power demonstration that the mafia-based locals are above the law and  - as recent history reveals - if challenged or slighted, are capable of murdering visitors at any time - with migrant workers shouldering the blame.   

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

Because Thailand is not a normal place. Someone thinks this is a good idea, I think it is ridiculous as will any normal, thinking person. I would just refuse and say I will wear one from now on, what are they going to do?

The sergeant would probably say: "soldier, you are under arrest!" 

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Obviously just taking does not do enough, otherwise they'd be wearing them in the first place. 
Behave like a child, prepare to be treated as such.

Thailand holds the world record for number of men children

Have you ever thought not everybody speaks Thai or can procure a mask easily

Do you have to stay at home like a bad boy and starve if you haven't got one

If you are going to dish out this sort of punishment, have some spares and offer them

If they still refuse then that is obviously a different issue 

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

These people are already well aware that they are to wear a mask and they chose not to do so. Talking to them is useless.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, YetAnother said:

great idea, quite pure thai; try that with an 80 year old man

I was thinking more local...ME!  Both hips and one knee are replacements, so to heck with me doing any jumping and I'd be there all day doing 20 push ups.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

The sergeant would probably say: "soldier, you are under arrest!" 

Really, have you ever thought, why are so many people, including kids, wearing military uniforms in Thailand? Why?? Not difficult to realize that they treated these foreigners as they would treat soldiers under their command! Just another TIT (this is Thailand) issue...

3 hours ago, Davedub said:

I see this kind of "punishment" highly disrespectful and as an extremely worrying indication of underlying attitude. This sort of behaviour is borne of a desire to bully. These are the actions of those who enjoy exerting power over others, playing out their own little power trip. Quite simply, this is abuse of power. Left unchecked, this sort of behaviour will inevitably escalate and should never be condoned.

Not wearing a mask is disrespectful. Should have been punched in the face.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5