Koh Tao Punishes Tourists without masks with Push Ups

snoop1130

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Obviously you have never been in the military and I don’t mean in Thailand

Exactly where the issue is. 

I, for one, never have seen a country where Tourists (Foreigners & Thais), have to do push ups.  (as someone said before, public lashes in Saudi, yes, that kind of level)

And the Thais I speak to, don't find this funny either. There has seriously something changed over the past 6 years.

How lower you want to get? These places should not get any tourists for the next 3 years ... really.

(Foreigners & Thais: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/13/koh-tao-authorities-punish-foreign-tourists-and-thais-for-not-wearing-masks-with-push-ups-and-jumping-jacks/?fbclid=IwAR19sbaHxbciSl57_YM7w69oNUDOzAyFpZhgKvoYufOk4hpIbWVQTPFzGek)

Edited by RedPill

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I would choose the fine. 

mike i have read many your post. Most make sense to me. But here you missing a point!

Thai people want to laugh and most important want to laugh to other people when nothing polite need to show!!!!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Offer me the choice between a fine and a few push ups and I know which one I'm taking...

Looks like it's in good humour and no 80 year old men involved

The cane and lines next o and home work 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YetAnother said:

great idea, quite pure thai; try that with an 80 year old man

No problem 10 strokes of the cane on the buttocks ????...there is a solution to everything!

(I never said to hit hard so no bad spirit please) ????

• Sad 1

I'm sorry, is it an actual law not to wear a mask outside of your property or hotel? Or is it just, "We think you should"? 

Since this came from China, I think the Thais should take a page out of the Chicom playbook: confess to the authorities while kneeling on broken glass.

It worked during the Cultural Revolution so why not the Covid Revolution? 

about the Pattaya people are you sure they not Muslims in our area its the Muslims doing that I begin to think the so called farang that refused a mask was a Muslim they treated same as Thai (because there so many of them) even the women take their cloak and dagger dress off and put their Thai closes on to go to work (jeans and tshirt)

• Sad 1

The last thing I read on the subject when arriving in Thailand a person must quarantine in their home or hotel for 2 weeks. Government Officials would be checking. The most time that I know of for a normal tourist visa is 30 days. Why would any tourist want to quarantine in a hotel for for 14 days. That's wasted money and time in my opinion.

• Sad 1

....and afterwards they puff and wheeze inhaling more 'nasties', exhaling more too, Ha!

And for those commenting on the older generation...be careful. I do 25 press ups (on fists, not palms) after a full workout as part of my 'warm down', Ha!

Spreading arms like a crocodile walk can damage the shoulder blades (of any age) so these Thai enforcers need to do some homework. Vertical knee bends would be better.

I would ask the the Thai enforcer to do the same for not practising social distancing, ha! 

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The officers penalized people without masks by ordering to do 20 push ups and 20 jumping jacks. This form of punishment astonished those watching and people in the area said they approved because it was mild and amusing. After the exercise, the authorities gave a face mask to each person.

and the point of the mask is what?  to prevent the spread of the virus thru exhalation of precious, yet contaminated, bodily fluids.

aerobic exercise leads to...........rapidly increased breathing, from possibly overweight and out-of-shape tourists and locals.

hub of i just don't care anymore.

21 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

The last thing I read on the subject when arriving in Thailand a person must quarantine in their home or hotel for 2 weeks. Government Officials would be checking. The most time that I know of for a normal tourist visa is 30 days. Why would any tourist want to quarantine in a hotel for for 14 days. That's wasted money and time in my opinion.

Many people come to Thailand with the intent of spending 2 weeks in their room......

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I would encourage foreigners to wear masks in public places, for the very reason that it's a symbol of awareness that the Corona virus should be taken seriously, as is social distancing, and hand washing, and not just ignored or dismissed as being ineffectual - even if that's the (current) science.

But on Koh Tao death island, I'm in agreement that this 'punishment' is one power demonstration that the mafia-based locals are above the law and  - as recent history reveals - if challenged or slighted, are capable of murdering visitors at any time - with migrant workers shouldering the blame.   

I think that the disposable facemasks have been around a very long time so not really much for the scientists to do really. They are only for using in a medical environment to stop basic contamination from saliva/moisture, thats all. Particles form a virus are very small indeed and will very easily penetrate such a porous item. They were never for protecting against a virus, there are other masks for that and nobody is wearing those of course.

The punishment is barbaric and a clear sign of the lack of basic intelligence from the mafia running the place.

• Like 1

Yes! Can anyone see tourists returning again after they see that? In a country with no cases of COVID and it is not lethal or even causes sickness in 99.99% of cases, they still insist on this stupid and according to most Doctors now dangerous for your health mandatory mask wearing. Of course of you go to an estate where ordinary Thais live noone is wearing a mask!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Are face masks obligatory on the streets? Didn’t see this law..

In some countries! Yeah, I know, Pretty cheeky of me. If you are in Thailand, there are different requirements in different provinces.

Some areas do indeed require face masks in public and an arrest is definitely a possibility if you are flaunting the law.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodjrin said:

Why just foreigners?

Maybe it's not just foreigners ... and that just depends purely on the news outlet and what they want to portrait ...

This one said it's Tourists & Thais ... these days, I'm really getting fed up with news head lines ...

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/13/koh-tao-authorities-punish-foreign-tourists-and-thais-for-not-wearing-masks-with-push-ups-and-jumping-jacks/?fbclid=IwAR1j55lS6C_7yKlO8Tp9FbsyHFfsJ-v-66WvVwB4UInpSPscmupkvS7jmsM

Edited by RedPill