Tourism sector will only start recovering next year, say experts

14 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

There is no guarantee that you cannot get infected again just like the common cold.

The scientists don't know.

I doubt Vietnam, Cambodia and PI will be any different.

I could stick Vietnam for a week. The other 2 i wouldn't even bother.

Versus my passport-country, I'd prefer any of those options.  If all those failed, then downgrade to Latin-America until I could return to SE Asia.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:55 AM, Chivas said:

You might hope he's wrong and so do I for that matter but theres not a chance in hell foreigners from Europe will be allowed into Thailand in 2020. Not a chance.

When we do eventually come back in expect the restrictions to be onerous to a level that most wont bother I suspect

I've pencilled in November 2021 for a return hopefully

I was thinking around May but essentially you are spot on.

Even if travel is allowed earlier the vast majority of western tourists will not visit anywhere if subject to punitive restrictions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I was thinking around May but essentially you are spot on.

Even if travel is allowed earlier the vast majority of western tourists will not visit anywhere if subject to punitive restrictions.

Correct.  So Thailand can order everything be open tomorrow, but so what? 

Nobody is coming from anywhere, because they can't get here, even if they wanted to, and will not be able to get here for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

I have a funny feeling Thailand will be open for business in the fourth quarter of 2020.

The pandemic has passed and is very much on the way down. Country after country is beginning to come out of lockdown.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1918864/china-hk-macau-and-korea-off-danger-list

The Chinese and 3 others are allowed now to come, i presume with health checks.

As i have said, the Asians will be the first to come. I hope they come in droves and help support at least some of the businesses in Pattaya.

It is a start but i think the US and Europe will be allowed to come with visa on arrival Q4 2020.

All this depends on the virus being successfully suppressed worldwide.

I grow more optimistic by the day.

Edited by WillyPlatt
Edit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

I have a funny feeling Thailand will be open for business in the fourth quarter of 2020.

The pandemic has passed and is very much on the way down. Country after country is beginning to come out of lockdown.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1918864/china-hk-macau-and-korea-off-danger-list

As i have said, the Asians will be the first to come. I hope they come in droves and help support at least some of the businesses in Pattaya.

It is a start but i think the US and Europe will be allowed to come with visa on arrival Q4 2020.

They are off the danger list, but that doesn't mean they are allowing tourists in. I doubt they will be droves coming in for a while, insular policies, holidaying at home, quarantine for travellers. If anything it will be the intrepid travellers who will travel and the rest safety at home.

10 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

Two weeks ago i would not have thought the world would be where it is today.

Lets see what it looks like in two months.

Three scenarios for Thailand, 1, they open up slowly to all tourists with no restrictions to get the economy going. 2, open up slowly with restrictions on nationalties to enter and maybe covid-19 insurance, covid-19 free certificate. 3, they are aiming for a zero covid-19 country with no tourists until everywhere else has zero covid-19.  Closing Phuket airport indefinitely makes me the latter.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Nobody is coming from anywhere, because they can't get here, even if they wanted to, and will not be able to get here for the foreseeable future.  

I am expecting China, South Korea and a few nearby countries nationals will be allowed in soon. They have started to prepare for this by removing  them from its list of Disease Infected Zones for Covid-19.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 10:30 PM, Chicken George said:

Yes I expect they will but the shortage of flights and the expense may be prohibitive.. Can't see airlines putting on flights with empty planes.. Msybe look to come by sea.. Yep I know virtually impossible. All depends on how long you want to come and stay for. Cargo boats take passengers. Six weeks from Europe but if you are staying for a long time msybe worth it.. Short trips as in a few weeks are msybe a long long way off. 

Good luck

Would love to try that..cargo ship....but wouldnt that nullify the 72 hr check letter that your are covid free, esp after being in a cargo ship for weeks?  What ships would take me if I ever wanted to try...curious..

On 5/13/2020 at 10:39 PM, Guderian said:

So it's goodbye Pattaya Beach, which will presumably remain closed and banned forever more, and tell all the tourists to go see the Chonburi Grand Canyon instead...

IMG_6188.jpg?strip=info&w=1800&ssl=1

Can i sneak in thru a underground water cave and come out of that hole on the right side???

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am expecting China, South Korea and a few nearby countries nationals will be allowed in soon. They have started to prepare for this by removing  them from its list of Disease Infected Zones for Covid-19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/asia-s-virus-taming-stars-disappointed-by-resurgence-of-cases

Second wave.

17 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

US visa, what. Wheres that coming from so I can enquire? Im from the US have a wife in Thailand and money to spend. Lets get the show on the road again not everyone is paralyzed by this virus such as myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

Day by day, week by week it will ease globally.

Governments need revenue, travel industry must restart.

As long as there are no major virus flare ups, if so then all bets are off.

Globalization is finished for a while, insular policies, holidaying at home, protectionism of economies. Countries that need tourists will be at the back of the queue. It's all about safety of your citizens now 55.

The adventurers will still travel.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:03 PM, WillyPlatt said:

A World Health Organisation representative has said that the pandemic could run for 4 to 5 years.

There won't be a world economy left let alone a Pattaya to visit.

Pattaya won't go anywhere - it'll just be different. It might become a domestic seaside resort.

On 5/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, webfact said:

The tourism sector in Chonburi should return to normal by the second quarter of next year,” Teerin said.

second quarter of next year is beginning of low season. So yes, not much trade by then. Reality maybe November 2021 for a bounce IF Covid diminishes and/or a vaccine is found and effective...

On 5/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, webfact said:

Most foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter Thailand for most of this year, though it is believed that Chinese tourists may be allowed into the country by July

This say's all as expected. Farangs should not expect to return until much later than the Chinese.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, tribalfusion001 said:

I can avoid them in the suburbs of BKK, but not at the airports clogging everything up. I had of group of 8 older Chinese women pushing past me at security and immigration last year at Suvarnbhumi, some of them had BO too.

Some years ago at Suvarnabhumi I was waiting for the everso slow lift (elevator) patiently in line with some Thais. As the lift arrived a Chinese woman just pushed past everyone and cut in front of us all. Unfortunately my loaded baggage cart has a "malfunction" and her legs got pinned to the glass wall. Ouch!

Edited by soi3eddie

On 5/14/2020 at 6:54 AM, shackleton said:

I can imagine most people in western countries  will looking at getting back to work than thinking about holidays for this year anyway

Very few are going to have much disposable income even if they still have jobs. Let alone inclination to travel longhaul to Asia. For those that do still have cash, there is talk in UK about a desire for domestic vacation bookings with Xmas/New Year holiday rentals are mostly sold out already. Few will want to get on a plane for 12 hours.

22 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

1st November 2020 I'll wager for farang tourists. It will be an injustice if the Chinese are allowed to arrive as tourists from July while other Marriage/Work/Retirement/Visa/Extension holders are barred from returning.

4 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

I expect Thailand to relax its restrictions a lot sooner than many of us thought possible.

The Thai authorities don't want dirty foreigners. Chinese coming are OK though...