Tourism sector will only start recovering next year, say experts

On 5/14/2020 at 2:48 PM, P100 said:

Given a recovered person is immune for a month or two only, it helps nothing to stop the spread!!

• Fauci responded that, while experts can't be 100% sure, he feels "really confident" that recovered coronavirus patients will have immunity.
  • He added that he'd be "willing to bet anything that people who recover are really protected against re-infection."   
  • This is not Dr. Fauci's first epidemic.  he has been around for over 35 years as an infectious disease expert
  • Like 2

Chinese will start o come in July and that will be the beginning of the tourism recovery.  Full recovery to the annual rate of 40 million a year probably will not come until a vaccine is available which is about a year way in my best estimate!

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Time will tell, but I can't see it being safe to allow in tourists, even from the Asia region, on the 1st June. 

No, that being just 12 days away. Hardly seems correct when bars, beaches, massages and stadia are still closed here, to protect the locals.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, dluek said:

A lot of <deleted> in this article. Number one is the idea that tourist numbers in 2021 will match 2019, which was a record breaking year. Not a chance. Second, why is the Eastern region worse off than others? Phuket and other Southern destinations have been hit just as hard. Third, the guy talks like a vaccine is inevitable. It's not. 

But what I really don't understand is why Thailand is unlikely to allow any foreigners to enter the country for the rest of this year. Iceland plans to reopen foreign tourism next month by requiring all arrivals to either pay for a Covid test right after landing, or pay for 14-day quarantine. Why can't Thailand do that?

And if Thailand is going to allow tourism from China as early as July, why wouldn't tourists be allowed to enter from New Zealand or Australia? Both have suppressed the virus and arrivals from those countries are probably less risky than tourists from China.

Who is going to pay for a flight to Thailand (or Iceland) if there is a chance you won't be allowed to enter the country?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Who is going to pay for a flight to Thailand (or Iceland) if there is a chance you won't be allowed to enter the country?

Tourists may be able to come to Thailand for a holiday, but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country. 

That makes for an expensive holiday, and a long time off work. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:18 AM, jacko45k said:

No, that being just 12 days away. Hardly seems correct when bars, beaches, massages and stadia are still closed here, to protect the locals.

I would think the logical progression would be, domestic tourism, regional tourism, then international tourism.  For regional and international tourism, they will probably be selective to start with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I would think the logical progression would be, domestic tourism, regional tourism, then international tourism.  For regional and international tourism, they will probably be selective to start with. 

America is trying to force open the international flights from US to China right now.  This may have some effects on the Chinese aviation authority.  US airlines have a tough time reopening their cancelled flights from Feb and March this year.  Chinese have been very slow in responding to their request of reopening the routes from US to China.

I see China open up in July.  With that, Chinese tourists would start to come back to Thailand in significant numbers.  Then rest of asians from low risk countries.

• Sad 1

On 5/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, anfh said:

As I have said before, as far as Thailand is concerned, they have not, nor will they, blamed China for anything whatsoever. This is because China owns Thailand and controls the powers that be. China will insist their people are allowed back in, as they are pedaling the belief that the virus is a western disease etc. 
it will be interesting to see what Thailand does if the Chinese flood back in and, god forbid, the infection rate here shoots back up. No idea how Thailand will explain that. 

On your last point,they won,t,the press will be gagged.

• Sad 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, JohnBZ said:

America is trying to force open the international flights from US to China right now.  This may have some effects on the Chinese aviation authority.  US airlines have a tough time reopening their cancelled flights from Feb and March this year.  Chinese have been very slow in responding to their request of reopening the routes from US to China.

I see China open up in July.  With that, Chinese tourists would start to come back to Thailand in significant numbers.  Then rest of asians from low risk countries.

Obviously, you have to have flights operating in order to kick start your tourism industry.  It will be interesting to see what the airlines are charging, on any and all routes, when they take to the air again.  Hopefully, airfares will not be cost prohibitive for tourists. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, Leaver said:

Tourists may be able to come to Thailand for a holiday, but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country. 

That makes for an expensive holiday, and a long time off work. 

Only self isolation at home is expected.

18 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Only self isolation at home is expected.

This is what I said:

"but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country."

So that's a 2 week holiday in Thailand, then a possible 2 week forced quarantine (in a guarded facility) at the traveler's expense, upon going back to their home country.

That could make a holiday to Thailand quite expensive, and you have lost your other 2 weeks of holidays. 

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

This is what I said:

"but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country."

So that's a 2 week holiday in Thailand, then a possible 2 week forced quarantine (in a guarded facility) at the traveler's expense, upon going back to their home country.

That could make a holiday to Thailand quite expensive, and you have lost your other 2 weeks of holidays. 

A guarded facility, are most peoples houses guarded now, guarded by who?

Does it not mean you're told to stay home and you're left to be trusted?

But yes, i understand that holidaying may become terribly unpractical.

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

A guarded facility, are most peoples houses guarded now, guarded by who?

Does it not mean you're told to stay home and you're left to be trusted?

But yes, i understand that holidaying may become terribly unpractical.

Isn't that why some hotels here have been rented by the government, to house returning Thai's?  Isn't the price 1000 baht a day?

Many other countries doing the same. 

Only cooks and cleaners allowed in, and some admin staff.  Other than that, it's locked down, and is guarded, to ensure no one in, and no one out.   

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Isn't that why some hotels here have been rented by the government, to house returning Thai's?  Isn't the price 1000 baht a day?

Many other countries doing the same. 

Only cooks and cleaners allowed in, and some admin staff.  Other than that, it's locked down, and is guarded, to ensure no one in, and no one out.   

In the UK, it'll with be at home from 8th June - no prison.

12 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

In the UK, it'll with be at home from 8th June - no prison.

What about all the other countries that make up the tourist demographic here?

Edited by Leaver

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What about all the other countries that make up the tourist demographic here?

I can't comment on them as i don't know.

Another note i forgot the mention, i don't think the returning Thais will be paying 1000 baht per day, no chance.

Where's your info on this from?

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I can't comment on them as i don't know.

Another note i forgot the mention, i don't think the returning Thais will be paying 1000 baht per day, no chance.

Where's your info on this from?

I stand corrected, it appears the Thai government is paying for returning Thai's, 1000 baht.  As reported in the below thread.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1165653-state-quarantine-in-pattaya-shadowy-figures-creaming-40-off-the-top-of-government-fees-to-hotels-claim-insiders/

I can't see other countries letting people go on an overseas holiday, and then the tax payer picking up the bill for a 2 week stay in a hotel room.  I suspect the travelers will be billed accordingly. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, JohnBZ said:

Chinese will start o come in July and that will be the beginning of the tourism recovery.  Full recovery to the annual rate of 40 million a year probably will not come until a vaccine is available which is about a year way in my best estimate!

5555 i spat out my coffeee ,,thanks for the laff ,,critical mass is years away

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:16 AM, 3NUMBAS said:

ownership of muliple phones will vanish along with tattoos and silicon boob jobs ,welcome to reality .the thais have gotten rich on tourism for 20 years .the easy money days are gone

The easy money was getting harder to make, prior to the virus.  An amount of easy money will return, but I agree, the good old days are long gone. 

Who knows, we may see a return to the days where bar girls actually wanted to leave the bar and go to farangland and live a normal life.  ???? 

• Like 1

No one can predict hordes of anyone coming to Thailand.

The Chinese may have that no travel mentality now as well as the rest of the world.

It isn't like there is a vaccine or cure out there.

I think people in general will be fearful of flying.

Look at the news of airlines all over the world downsizing?

Most people across the globe have taken a personal financial hit.

I think the going on holiday to Thailand mentality is not there and maybe not until well into next year.

People are not in the vacation mode, they are in the financial survival mode.

Who in the world would have ever thought Thai Air Asia would be thinking merger to survive?

• Like 1

Who in their right mind would plan a trip to Thailand in June, when they have no idea if self-quarantine will be imposed, no idea where they will be allowed to travel/stay in Thailand, and no idea of what will be open or closed?

I think the answer is very few, not even from China.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Who in their right mind would plan a trip to Thailand in June, when they have no idea if self-quarantine will be imposed, no idea where they will be allowed to travel/stay in Thailand, and no idea of what will be open or closed?

I think the answer is very few, not even from China.

Thailand could declare the country open for business tomorrow.  That doesn't mean tourists will be able to get here. 

On 5/28/2020 at 1:30 PM, Leaver said:

The easy money was getting harder to make, prior to the virus.  An amount of easy money will return, but I agree, the good old days are long gone. 

Who knows, we may see a return to the days where bar girls actually wanted to leave the bar and go to farangland and live a normal life.  ???? 

On your last point I would like to see a return when the bargirls would actually want to be bar fined instead of just trying to ponce lady drinks all night,still a by product of multiple sponsors.

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

On your last point I would like to see a return when the bargirls would actually want to be bar fined instead of just trying to ponce lady drinks all night,still a by product of multiple sponsors.

Or is it also the fact that bar-fining has become very expensive and likely time restricted!

Many years ago I sat in the opposite camp, as the best girls were often 'gone' early and late-starters partook in a sausage festival. 

Edited by jacko45k