Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Tourism sector will only start recovering next year, say experts

Recommended Posts

On 5/14/2020 at 2:48 PM, P100 said:

Given a recovered person is immune for a month or two only, it helps nothing to stop the spread!!

  • Fauci responded that, while experts can't be 100% sure, he feels "really confident" that recovered coronavirus patients will have immunity.
  • He added that he'd be "willing to bet anything that people who recover are really protected against re-infection."   
  • This is not Dr. Fauci's first epidemic.  he has been around for over 35 years as an infectious disease expert
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chinese will start o come in July and that will be the beginning of the tourism recovery.  Full recovery to the annual rate of 40 million a year probably will not come until a vaccine is available which is about a year way in my best estimate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 11:14 AM, jacko45k said:

My numbers are less....  

Time will tell, but I can't see it being safe to allow in tourists, even from the Asia region, on the 1st June. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Time will tell, but I can't see it being safe to allow in tourists, even from the Asia region, on the 1st June. 

No, that being just 12 days away. Hardly seems correct when bars, beaches, massages and stadia are still closed here, to protect the locals.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, dluek said:

A lot of <deleted> in this article. Number one is the idea that tourist numbers in 2021 will match 2019, which was a record breaking year. Not a chance. Second, why is the Eastern region worse off than others? Phuket and other Southern destinations have been hit just as hard. Third, the guy talks like a vaccine is inevitable. It's not. 

 

But what I really don't understand is why Thailand is unlikely to allow any foreigners to enter the country for the rest of this year. Iceland plans to reopen foreign tourism next month by requiring all arrivals to either pay for a Covid test right after landing, or pay for 14-day quarantine. Why can't Thailand do that?

 

And if Thailand is going to allow tourism from China as early as July, why wouldn't tourists be allowed to enter from New Zealand or Australia? Both have suppressed the virus and arrivals from those countries are probably less risky than tourists from China.

Who is going to pay for a flight to Thailand (or Iceland) if there is a chance you won't be allowed to enter the country?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Who is going to pay for a flight to Thailand (or Iceland) if there is a chance you won't be allowed to enter the country?

Tourists may be able to come to Thailand for a holiday, but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country. 

 

That makes for an expensive holiday, and a long time off work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just a trickle of aussie sex tourists are getting ready to fly but theyre not big spenders ,they will only pay very low prices so theres no meat on the bone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 5:18 AM, jacko45k said:

No, that being just 12 days away. Hardly seems correct when bars, beaches, massages and stadia are still closed here, to protect the locals.

I would think the logical progression would be, domestic tourism, regional tourism, then international tourism.  For regional and international tourism, they will probably be selective to start with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I would think the logical progression would be, domestic tourism, regional tourism, then international tourism.  For regional and international tourism, they will probably be selective to start with. 

America is trying to force open the international flights from US to China right now.  This may have some effects on the Chinese aviation authority.  US airlines have a tough time reopening their cancelled flights from Feb and March this year.  Chinese have been very slow in responding to their request of reopening the routes from US to China.

 

I see China open up in July.  With that, Chinese tourists would start to come back to Thailand in significant numbers.  Then rest of asians from low risk countries.

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this has all really really deviated a long way from a Pattaya topic!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, anfh said:

As I have said before, as far as Thailand is concerned, they have not, nor will they, blamed China for anything whatsoever. This is because China owns Thailand and controls the powers that be. China will insist their people are allowed back in, as they are pedaling the belief that the virus is a western disease etc. 
it will be interesting to see what Thailand does if the Chinese flood back in and, god forbid, the infection rate here shoots back up. No idea how Thailand will explain that. 

On your last point,they won,t,the press will be gagged.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, JohnBZ said:

America is trying to force open the international flights from US to China right now.  This may have some effects on the Chinese aviation authority.  US airlines have a tough time reopening their cancelled flights from Feb and March this year.  Chinese have been very slow in responding to their request of reopening the routes from US to China.

 

I see China open up in July.  With that, Chinese tourists would start to come back to Thailand in significant numbers.  Then rest of asians from low risk countries.

 

 

 

Obviously, you have to have flights operating in order to kick start your tourism industry.  It will be interesting to see what the airlines are charging, on any and all routes, when they take to the air again.  Hopefully, airfares will not be cost prohibitive for tourists. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, Leaver said:

Tourists may be able to come to Thailand for a holiday, but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country. 

 

That makes for an expensive holiday, and a long time off work. 

Only self isolation at home is expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Only self isolation at home is expected.

 

This is what I said:

 

"but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country."

 

So that's a 2 week holiday in Thailand, then a possible 2 week forced quarantine (in a guarded facility) at the traveler's expense, upon going back to their home country.

 

That could make a holiday to Thailand quite expensive, and you have lost your other 2 weeks of holidays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

 

This is what I said:

 

"but may face 14 days forced quarantine, at their own expense, upon arriving back in their home country."

 

So that's a 2 week holiday in Thailand, then a possible 2 week forced quarantine (in a guarded facility) at the traveler's expense, upon going back to their home country.

 

That could make a holiday to Thailand quite expensive, and you have lost your other 2 weeks of holidays. 

A guarded facility, are most peoples houses guarded now, guarded by who?

 

Does it not mean you're told to stay home and you're left to be trusted?

 

But yes, i understand that holidaying may become terribly unpractical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...