Thai immigration nab Cameroonian on 5 year overstay

webfact

Thai immigration nab Cameroonian on 5 year overstay

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thai media Naew Na reported on the latest arrest of a foreigner on overstay.

They said in their headline that once Thai immigration get their teeth in to law breaking foreigners they never forget and never let go.

To illustrate this they posted a story that came from a news conference at immigration HQ yesterday presented by IB chief Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang.

They said he was following the policy of PM Prayut and Deputy Prawit to crack down on law breaking foreigners damaging Thailand's image and using the kingdom as a base for illegality.

2pm2.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

Arrested in the Ban Phai area south of Khon Kaen in Thailand's north east was thirty seven year old Cameroon national Mr Sanaleonel. 

He was on overstay of 1,780 days and was also in contravention of the emergency decree.

The media reported that he was arrested in his car at 10pm, the time when the curfew begins nationwide.

Naew Na said that back in 2016 immigration had investigated a gang of Cameroon people producing fake documents for their compatriots to use in visa extensions.

Several of the gang managed to flee the attentions of immigration at the time. 

Then in April of last year Mr Augustine and Mr Bernard were arrested. They told the police about Mr Sanaleonel who drove a brown Mazda.

Apparently a secret operative was looking out for him in case he returned to Ban Phai and when he did another foreign miscreant was finally off the streets.

Source: Naew Na

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, madmitch said:

You just beat me to it. I saw a similar picture in the Bangkok Post today, where some of the army guys weren't even wearing masks.

I saw an interesting sight in Makro a few days ago where the security guards were standing close to each other. The man in charge imposed a form of social distancing by asking all the staff to touch the shoulder of his neighbour and stand at arms length!

Right Dress in the amry

31 minutes ago, madmitch said:

a form of social distancing by asking all the staff to touch the shoulder of his neighbour and stand at arms length!

That's that standard method of distancing done at school assemblies. You see it every time the national anthem plays on TV. Guess they're too used to it, and forget that the touching negates the distance they're trying to achieve.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

Apparently a secret operative was looking out for him in case he returned to Ban Phai and when he did another foreign miscreant was finally off the streets.

????????????

I've never heard such tripe, he just got caught breaking the curfew and the rest was a formality

Pah, 5 years overstay?! A friend of mine racked up 10 years and then decided he wanted to go back to the US. Speaking excellent Thai and with a good lawyer, he negotiated a fee of 20,000 baht to be let go. And in a few years he came back and is still here, legally.

But this was the 1990s, another age in immigration terms.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He was on overstay of 1,780 days and was also in contravention of the emergency decree.

Sounds like that little beautiful sentence is going to be his good bye! Godspeed, and thanks for your contribution.

Edited by Matzzon

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've known several Cameroonians thus far in Thailand. Crafty, resourceful, and always very, very polite. But without the scamming tendencies some of the other African nations are known for.

In Bkk I taught a young Cameroonian guy for 3 years doing his MBA. Perfect English, very focused, very polite, good contributions to class discussions, very caring about helping other students, grades mostly A, excellent thesis submission. Never ever any 'can I borrow' or anything shady.  He was 21 when he started his studies.

He went home twice every year to see his family and to get up to date with the 2 successful restaurant business operations he had started with his twin brother when they were 16 years old.

We had several Nigerian students who were mostly lazy and tricky. The Cameroonian boy kept well away from them.  

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I never knew you could do a college degree in "spot the Cameroonian"  

Pretty sure UCLA has a few seats open :cool:

8 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

8 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

????????????

I've never heard such tripe, he just got caught breaking the curfew and the rest was a formality

Didn't you read the full article? He was, apparently a member of a gang of Cameroon people producing fake documents for their compatriots to use in visa extensions.

I'd say that makes him, very much a miscreant.

Quaint word that. Rarely come across miscreant in modern English. Still used in India a lot as I recall.

7 hours ago, JingerBen said:

Now that they've caught him what are they going to do with him?

Send him back to Cameroon?

When and how?

That also intrigues me.

What will actually happen to this fellow?

They can't just keep him in the chokey forever & a day.

There's no way his embassy will cough up so without rich relatives what is his outlook like?