TAT targeting tech savvy young tourists as New Normal means less visitors and more domestic tourism

webfact

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

And you say that is a problem, when billions baht leave the country to japan,s.korea,Indonesia,malaria etc.

The idea is very logical, but how will they do it????

I'm betting on the wrong way :dry:

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Exactly.  These are the same self-funded long-stayers they booted-out by "cracking down" on their use of repeat visa-exempts and serial tourist-visas.   How did they think those people could afford paying their bills here, plus paying for visa-run trips and tourist-visas before?  By competing with the Burmese and Cambodians for "under the table" illegal jobs? 

That "smart move" shuttered countless Thai businesses (entire sois boarded up), throwing thousands of Thais out of work.  Maybe this time, they can be smart about it, and keep more of that spending in-Thailand, by not forcing the continuous visa-runs.  Just to to immigration every 3 mo and shell out 5K - better yet, pay at 711 or online.

I've been competing for that award for awhile.  But at least I am cynical enough to keep myself real, about it.

No doubt the immigration "agent-money" clique and "elite-visa" beneficiaries will block TAT, again.  Tour groups can organize the required payoffs, and side-deals for the big-businesses where they take their hordes to shop.  It is not so simple to organize lucrative envelope-collection schemes for individuals and families. 

Watch for the phrase "National Security" to come up, like it did with the initial "bring your landlord" rule for covid-extensions. 

TAT OWNS Thai elite. That is the SOLE shareholder of Thai Elite.

They have zero interest in going against this. TAT also never had any issues with digital nomads and co, or tv stars making movies here or writers writing their books...

This was always an entirely different clique in the goverment...

4 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I'm not sure whether there is much out of the box thinking here, but I look forward to the smaller groups of FIT young ladies gracing the shores of Phuket - Bring it on ????

Indeed! ... a fewer mega-dumpy, white Caucasians. 

Hey TAT how do you want to make Chinese travel in smaller groups and how do you want them to think out of the box? And what do you mean by "out of the box thinking", just like Thais?

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

20 years ago guest houses were cheap so dorms were not needed. Now that competition for land has closed most of them, and the strong Baht, backpackers have been forced into dorms. Getting back an attractive and viable backpacker industry would take a lot of effort and support from the government such as designating suitable areas for backpackers where large businesses would be excluded from. This kind of long term thinking with few oppertunities to skim off profits, means that the current government is unlikly to consider it. Backpackers, who are normally young, would be less likely to worry about Covid 19 especially as it will take months before they start arriving in numbers again anyway.

The flashy places will be able to provide distancing because they won't have many rooms filled. This started before Covid 19 and nothing has changed to reverse that.

Maybe true 
But even these days when you know where to look you can find a room

Im always surprised at the price of dorms

I guess if you dont know any better

plus dorms are party time meeting people

They aint coming back anytime soon

Your tourist quota over the next 6 months 
All Chinese
TAT as usual dreaming up wet dreams in their head
Digitals are looking to take a condo for a few months or a villa if affordable

TAT should just be thankful if anyone returns

The Indian Government is going to be so a paranoid about letting its citizens go out in fear they bring it back, maybe even enforce a 14 day quarantine.

This is all so difficult to predict at the moment
Thailand would need to be crazy to say welcome ye all UK /USA / USSR
the top three idiots

So better brush up on your Chinese 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt that. Thailand has emerged as being on the safest nations on earth. 3000 cases total. Hardly gets any better than that. You don't need testing when you don't have sick people. This is not a disease that remains dormant for weeks. It is gone. DOA. 

In regard to the domestic tourism market, what they do not seem to be taking into account, is the financial devastation this experiment of shutting down the economy has had on the majority of Thais. It will be a long time before all but the top 5% have disposable cash here. Kiss off 2020. Maybe next year. A few million domestic trips this year at most. 

@spidermike007

always a shining beacon of positivity 

Well buckle up Mike The Chinese are coming back them and just them

Yeah I know they treated us badly blah blah broken record
????????

Sorry I cannot resist it 

你好
我的名字是
麦克风
我很高兴认识你
Nǐ hǎo
wǒ de míngzì shì
màikèfēng
wǒ hěn gāoxìng rènshì nǐ

• Sad 1

Yuthasak Suphasorn said that tourism businesses should target Generation Y travellers who are aged 23 to 40.

Not that much spending power, especially in their 20s when people are building a career, family and home. Expect short stays.

This group are generally in work, tech savvy and out of the box thinkers, he said, and operators must appeal to them.

In work = less time to travel and spend money; tech savvy = they'll be able to quickly identify doctored taxi meters, prior damage to jetskis, identify online scams; out of the box thinkes = spontaneous, adventurous, independent, resulting in unpredictable travel patters, doing it cheaply, fewer advance booking patterns

Gone are the days of large group tours, he said, adding that in future there will be more smaller groups and FIT (independent tourists). 

Excellent. Fewer tour buses. More support for smaller independent restaurants, close down all the mass-feeding eateries catering to groups

People wanting tourism with health in mind will also be on the increase.

Young ones 23-40? Hardly.Fewer health issues. no need for botox face lifts, hip replacements or spa/health clinic stays.

He said that next week the TAT will be meeting with the tourism and sports ministry to thrash out targets for visitors and revenue.

Their favourite pastime. Juggling numbers, wild guesswork, unrealistic timelines and projections. Never mind fixing anything (the list is endless, from safety to infrastructure to attitude) and assisting restructuring of the industry. It's just about naked revenue. Wrong approach.

He gave a ballpark estimate of 14-16 million foreign tourists for 2020 with domestic tourists making between 80 million and 100 million trips.

Ballpark it is. Must be a big park. Space for guesswork, dreaming, targeting, calculating. Pity it'll all come crashing down soon enough.

He also spoke of three levels of a return to normal and plans for a trillion baht rescue package for the tourism sector.

Three levels: 1. Chinese      2. Indian        3. Everyone else

My expectation is that domestic tourism will increase overall, while international tourism will fall. That applies to Thailand and to most other countries in the world too.

Many people are afraid of international travel now and that's likely to remain the case for a long time to come. Many scared to travel unless there's a vaccine. Cost of international flights quite likely to increase. Cost of travel insurance likely to increase. People scared they might find themselves trapped in another country if there's another outbreak. etc. All this points to much less international leisure travel.

In the meantime those who have the means will still want to take holiday breaks and here in Thailand at least, the coast seems relatively clear (scuse the pun). There may actually be a surge of domestic tourism when inter provincial travel is allowed and all facilities are opened up again, since many are quite desperate for that break.

Hotels, guest houses, tour groups, transport companies and all players in the Thai tourism business should be adapting their business plans right now to focus on the new normal - lots of domestic tourists.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

And they are going to lift the ban on inter province travel when ?

If foreign tourists check the amount of testing done in this country (only 4,098 per million) they may very well have second thoughts about coming here .

The inter-provincial ban will hopefully be lifted 31 May. It's up to the PM. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

People wanting tourism with health in mind will also be on the increase.

typical thai sentence. the main thing is to get

those young tech savvy tourists to thailand...they are "usually at work"...but will they

get work permit? hmmm...not so sure....

and ohh yes, than there will be also those tourists with health

in their mind...they will also be on the increase...but for them it's easy, no need

work permit, just prepare more alcogel.

35 minutes ago, GeniusFarang said:

WAIT...People are really this stupid to actually think Coronavirus is even a big issue? Even when all projections were WRONG (and not just wrong but grossly, abhorrently, should be hung by a noose wrong) and the newest studies indicate a less than a .2% mortality rate? 

The mainstream idiots are out in full force.  

yeah inject me with a vaccine when the influenza vaccine is already useless and dog<deleted>. Dumbasses everywhere. 

No reality allowed here.  Only doom and gloom need apply.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phuket Pete said:

I wonder what they will make of Tech Savvy Thailand ?

Thai Cables 3.jpg

Interconnectivity 4.0. Remember it well. Lots of signs bragging about it on the walls of Immigration by the computers that are never used to save information and the piles of paper soon to disappear into a cupboard. 

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Lots of domestic tourists"?

You do know that millions and millions of Thai haven't got any money at all? 

Yes of course and most of those are the ones who didn't take a holiday last year either...

You obviously didn't notice that I said:

"In the meantime those who have the means will still want to take holiday breaks."

That includes expats here, wealthy Thais who may otherwise have traveled overseas and those who weathered the storm with savings or continued income. Bear in mind that it is easy to economise and still take holidays. Car instead of flight. Bus instead of car. Stay in 2** hotel instead of 4****. Or Guest house instead of hotel. Eat at cheaper restaurants. And so on. I still maintain that domestic tourism won't do too badly and those businesses that market and price themselves to the domestic market may yet prosper.

5 hours ago, Greg O said:

Totally and completely Mad and Delusional ! Targeting an age group the least likely to have the time or resources to travel...I'm giving myself an uppercut ! 

can i have one too ? they sound kind of yummy.

2 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Is it me or do Thais go out in the press with stuff like this but it's never definitive action just things they are looking at or want to do but nothing actually ever gets done?

Yes - but primarily because they are usually c-blocked by Immigration.  Look what they did to the Smart Visa - basically the "Board of Directors Visa" with the imposed financials.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

I think it got like this because of success of the tourist trade. I was first in Thailand from 84, and it was great fun, and much quieter, and beautiful. All Thais were welcoming. Going from nearly nothing to 30 million ( if that’s true) was a huge jump in income and revenue for the government. They got big headed, and now think they can get away with everything, grating expats and tourists like dirt. Just look at the way they behave, their speeches. Compare them to diplomatic governments the world over. ( except a few of course) I’ve never heard of popular countries denigrating their expats and holiday makers . 

I don't think getting "big headed" was the reason, because I haven't heard them denigrate the Chinese.  I wonder why that is?
Anyone else see the big billboards in Bangkok saying how Thai and Chinese people have always been buddies?  I wonder who paid for those, and what else they paid for?  Immigration policy-changes, just maybe?  No one else benefitted from those.

Great idea.  

It's also good to think inside the box.

Nobody domestically has any money.  Nobody.  Nothing is really open.  Nothing.  

Any questions, please re-read my post.  They won't read it though, they are feeding delusion, hopes and dreams.  

• Like 1

When they had a model that was far from perfect but fed a lot of people. Ladi-dah! I can understand the logic but even with a label of "new normal"; "old normal" will most certainly prevail whether TAT likes it or not.. Attract young people for languages from abroad and learn to use and to pay your talented young people.  

1 hour ago, Phuket Pete said:

I wonder what they will make of Tech Savvy Thailand ?

Thai Cables 3.jpg

Damn, that's a lot of Hula Hoops someone strung up.....wonder how they can get used by the folks who need to exercise during this pandemic....