TAT targeting tech savvy young tourists as New Normal means less visitors and more domestic tourism

webfact

Domestic tourism does not bring in the high roller foreign tourists.  Thai salaries being so low, it is hard for business to charge a premium and make good profits.

Bring in more foreign tourists by getting rid of the red tapes and bureaucracies.  Don't spend more money in Thailand but like to have more convenience and less hassle with visa and other <deleted>.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Gone are the days of large group tours, he said, adding that in future there will be more smaller groups and FIT (independent tourists).

Thought they wanted those masses of high class Chinese tourists. Pretty obvious that those at the top aint too bright.

police check on the highways is excessive and a nuisance.  No other countries in SE asia are doing it: what are Thai police trying to catch?

When you are on holiday, who likes to see police all the time?

8 hours ago, Ranshoko said:

Complete pie in the sky thinking. The strategy changes every few days. They are living in dreamland if they think that age group will rescue the tourist industry. Many will be in debt, out of work. People with real money will go to better places than Thailand. Looks like they don't want older tourists, however, they are the ones with disposable income. 

I have very similar feelings.

The young, I fear, when we emerge from this will be the ones in the worst shape.

They are the ones with the student loans, haven't had time to build up savings, and are probably just focused on getting back to work to try to repair some of the financial damage of all this

So the idea that this demographic is the one that will salvage the Thai tourist industry seems fanciful at best, since I'm pretty sure they will have other things on their minds next year other than heading on a plane to Thailand

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Yuthasak Suphasorn said that tourism businesses should target Generation Y travellers who are aged 23 to 40.

This group are generally in work, tech savvy and out of the box thinkers, he said, and operators must appeal to them.

How about we get back to basics and open Soi 6. Thanks. 

• Like 1

They are after people that have never traveled to Thailand.  People that do not know the filth and pollution this country has to offer.

I just read the TOT is going to levy a 300 baht fee for travelers to Thailand. Got to love the Thai creed, fleece the tourist and send um home... haha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chowny77 said:

Basically they are after digital nomads. Wasn't it a few years ago that they were kicking these people out for not having Thai work permits?? I think it's about time that Thailand reverses this draconian law and allow people to work in any job if they have the knowledge or skill. It's not difficult and I expect more foreigners are likely to pay tax rather than their Thai counterparts. 

But many tech savvy digital nomads would not work for Thai salaries. They expect expat wages and benefits and employers don't want to pay these..

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Dreamers indeed, Singapore has shut down two of it's airport terminals, they obviously are being realistic, Thailand should be looking at closing down one of the two Bangkok airports to save money.

What.... According to TAT when they open the borders they will need another 3  new Airports to cope with influx of tourist wanting to come to Thailand... ????????

11 hours ago, chang1 said:

After watching serpantza youtube videos and others, the path Thailand is going down is very worrying. Glad my wife and son have dual nationality.

Dual Nationality means little if the planes aren’t flying and you can’t get out

I think that members of TAT and some of the government drink from the same pond

as Donald Trump. That is why they can lie so good. Maybe they will all

soon become unemployed.  Thailand and most countires will be getting a lot

less tourists than they are forecasting.

Geezer

13 hours ago, chang1 said:

Backpackers, who are normally young, would be less likely to worry about Covid 19 especially as it will take months before they start arriving in numbers again anyway.

65 here, probably already had it (and it wasn't that bad) don't give COVID a second thought, death rate in worst countries 0.01% = trivial. Ready to holiday in Cambodia/Vietnam if only I could get out of Thailand.

Thailand is no longer a country where I'd choose to holiday (or even live if I had a choice).

Restricted beer sales (with high taxes), bar/restaurants closed, dirty everywhere, the government are anti-white and it's spreading to the general population, immigration and police are a problem always looking to make money off tourists.

These are problems the rest of SEA don't seem to have.

Not in the same quantities anyway.

Can't drive a scooter in Chiang Mai without a police stop and shakedown.

Can't visit immigration in CM without a fine or a document missing and a long wait.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I’m not sure it’s particularly worthwhile targeting any sector right now. Probably it’s time to mothball a few things, improve a few things ready for an upturn and focus on domestic tourism as that’s probably the first area that might pick up.

hunker down, save spending  budgets and get the tourism product prepped for an upturn as and when it happens, is likely a better strategy than pixxing into the wind.

15 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

You are right the virus will not hang about for that long, they say up to 2 weeks incubation.

The only point to consider is that many people don't need hospital treatment or any healthcare intervention and during the time when they have very mild or no main symptoms they are spreading the infection and it will eventually get someone who doesn't have mild symptoms. So many people will be walking about untested because if you are only testing the sick (which s for sure what Thailand are doing) then you never have a real handle on the situation, you are pretty blind. Saying all that I thing Thailand, with it's hot tropical climate probably does not have the issues other countries have. stay safe..????

The one fact that the panic mongers, and the people who absolutely insist on not letting this thing go are not taking into consideration, is that this thing has had plenty of time to incubate, spread and infect. If it were going to blow up, it would have happened long ago. It takes a certain degree of sanity, to simply admit this is not the Zombie Apocalypse, and get on with your life. End the lockdown now. Get the people back to work. They deserve the right and the ability to support their families.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I have very similar feelings.

The young, I fear, when we emerge from this will be the ones in the worst shape.

They are the ones with the student loans, haven't had time to build up savings, and are probably just focused on getting back to work to try to repair some of the financial damage of all this

So the idea that this demographic is the one that will salvage the Thai tourist industry seems fanciful at best, since I'm pretty sure they will have other things on their minds next year other than heading on a plane to Thailand

If those w/ loan-debt can move overseas, do their jobs online and live in a nicer country with lower-overhead, many will do just that.  Thailand-Immigration just has to stop blocking them from staying here to spend their foreign-sourced incomes.

11 hours ago, Miami007 said:

But many tech savvy digital nomads would not work for Thai salaries. They expect expat wages and benefits and employers don't want to pay these..

They don't have to.  Plenty of work remote which pays better.  The problem is using that income to support a visa/extension to stay in Thailand.

I switched to Thai employment because immigration would not recognize my foreign-sourced income as legit ("not a state pension") for purposes of an extension based on Thai family.   As well, one can also take a Thai job, to get into the Social-Securty health-system, and keep that after one's job ends (1 year minimum, first).  That will pay great dividends as one gets older, and health-ins premiums go through the roof.

Tourism, what's that?  No one is being allowed into the country anyway and there will be NO tourists at all, even when that restriction is lifted, until they get rid of the requirement to be quarantined, in government accommodation, for 14 days upon arrival.  Don't bother planning the resurrection of the tourist industry until those two restrictions have been removed.  Opening some entertainment venues might help, as well.

Edited by mikosan
Grammatical correction

the man is trying hard to keep his job soon he will have to contest Chinese for his job if Flip and Flop have their way, a prediction for the future, after Flip and Flop win the next election they will recommend to parament that Thailand become a province of China

I agree with Ranshoko.Here in Canada that age group are pretty well all receiving the government programmes money because of lost job's.With all the massive job losses and unemployment plus the debt load they already had that age group in north America and Europe won't have money to travel.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/australian-households-face-grim-financial-173016450.html

Australian households face grim financial outlook as coronavirus unemployment rises

Household finances face a serious impact in the wake of the coronavirus shutdown, economists have warned, as loss of earnings, falling house prices and job insecurity combine to reshape the economy in a way not experienced by Australians for decades.

Official figures released on Thursday showed that unemployment had risen to a “shocking” 6.2% in April, and with the jobless rate likely to rise until one in 10 Australians are out of work, a fundamental shift is occurring in the economy.

Although the reported rise in unemployment was not as bad as some expected (more than 8% was the consensus figure) and there remains hope for a swift recovery, the loss of income marks a serious blow to the economy.

Craig James, chief economist at Commsec, said the fall in jobs masked the future loss of income for many Australians and he suggested that the government might have to extend its jobkeeper wage programme and other handouts to keep people afloat.

Related: Room with a poo: the tiny Sydney apartment for rent with a toilet in the kitchen

“People have lost income and there is little hope for a lift in wages in the months ahead,” he said on Thursday. “Add in the deferral of dividend payments by listed companies and little or no interest income and there may be scope for ‘top up’ cash handouts by the government.”

Falling house prices are another threat to the financial outlook for many households when added to loss of incomes, with the Commonwealth Bank issuing a worst-case scenario on Wednesday that could see 32% lopped off the average value of a home. The prediction was in line with similar war-gaming study from NAB, although the Commonwealth’s base-case is for prices to drop 11% over the next three years.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:13 PM, Thaiwrath said:

image.png.8f23336d2775fe80549149fbb889312d.png

And will there be enough of these generation Y, tech savvy young women, to work in all the bars and do pole dancing to the appreciative audience ?? OMG these Thai officials are a pack of brilliant wan kers.