retirement visa funding requirement

Hi there -  I work here legally but UK partner / GF  is stuck here due to Covid and wants to stay beyond 31st July so we want to go for a retirement visa for her. 800 k in bank but account in joint names. Funds transferred in and have been there for quite a while - arranging to visit Bangkok immigration next week. Does anyone have experience with this scenario and also converting a tourist visa to non imm O and then application for extension ( which I believe is the way to go about this?) - Any help would be appreciated - cheers

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline outlining all options/details to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extensions.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the prompt reply guys - annoying thing is that the money came from her foreign account in the first place .... i'll read the pm'd details tonite - hopefully things will work out ...

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

1.6 million if joint names, worse comes to worse give M.T.T. a try if they are still in business at 183/22 Soi Post office they helped a friend of a friend very similar.

Good luck

No joint accounts are allowed. 

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Not true when it comes to the Immigration office JOMTIEN,  use this bank book years ago like 10 then easier to just go to Bangkok and get the letter since it ended January of this year I again used my JOINT bankbook,  months prior I double check at Window 8 with a number of staff they review the book and confirm since it had 800 x2 = 1.6 plus it was o.k.

January 17th, took all the necessary paperwork, including Bank letter, etc.. approved, after lockdown last week went down bank letter etc. to verify funds all approved without any problem.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Wrong, You can have an account in most banks,CMBI cannot do it,

go to the bank and tell them you want to add your wife,partner

to the account,and they can give you a book in your name,with

the other person added to the signature page,so they are allowed,

to withdraw funds etc,so you must trust them.the Immigration never

check the signatures with UV light, a covert joint account,not illegal

otherwise the banks would not do it.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

the Immigration never check the signatures with UV light, a covert joint account, not illegal otherwise the banks would not do it.

If only the partner's book has the 2nd signature, you'd be safe, in any case.  Just don't use that one.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not true when it comes to the Immigration office JOMTIEN,  use this bank book years ago like 10 then easier to just go to Bangkok and get the letter since it ended January of this year I again used my JOINT bankbook,  months prior I double check at Window 8 with a number of staff they review the book and confirm since it had 800 x2 = 1.6 plus it was o.k.

To be clear, though, the "double the amount" / joint-acct method may not be accepted everywhere.  I would not advise anyone starting fresh to go this route.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Mikie said:

thanks for the prompt reply guys - annoying thing is that the money came from her foreign account in the first place .... i'll read the pm'd details tonite - hopefully things will work out ...

Ubonjoe already gave you precise instructions on what to do of which the most important part is getting the money into her own account ASAP, after that it is straight forward - the 800k needs to be in the bank for 2 months before application for extension - the Type O conversion "in country" gives you 90 days to complete the process 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Mikie said:

you mean a foreign account in Thailand bank - if so this foreign account could have been used in most IO's without issue as long as the exchange rate on the day meets the 800k balance required

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If only the partner's book has the 2nd signature, you'd be safe, in any case.  Just don't use that one.

To be clear, though, the "double the amount" / joint-acct method may not be accepted everywhere.  I would not advise anyone starting fresh to go this route.

Sorry in all due respect but please go back and read my post again I went out of my way to point out JOMTIEN!  I also noted I originally started over 10 years ago with my first retirement then found out much easier for my situation to just go into Bangkok Embassy and get the letter was doing that for 7 years? 

This year fresh I consider it and as noted went down spoke to a number of agents ALL stated months prior and all said O.K. that was my answer to those who quoted me it can't be done!  The subject has been going on now for near two years there are a number of reports since then about other immigration offices accepting joint accounts as long as you have 800,000 for each the information I provided isn't misleading therefore respectfully stand by it.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

you mean a foreign account in Thailand bank - if so this foreign account could have been used in most IO's without issue as long as the exchange rate on the day meets the 800k balance required

I am sure he meant the 800k baht was transfered from abroad.

31 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Sorry in all due respect but please go back and read my post again I went out of my way to point out JOMTIEN!  I also noted I originally started over 10 years ago with my first retirement then found out much easier for my situation to just go into Bangkok Embassy and get the letter was doing that for 7 years? 

This year fresh I consider it and as noted went down spoke to a number of agents ALL stated months prior and all said O.K. that was my answer to those who quoted me it can't be done!  The subject has been going on now for near two years there are a number of reports since then about other immigration offices accepting joint accounts as long as you have 800,000 for each the information I provided isn't misleading therefore respectfully stand by it.

Yes - some offices allow it, while others do not.  I do not disagree about this.  It's the same, in that respect, as many/most immigration rules. 
But, if you have 800K in your own sole-owership account, that seems to be accepted everywhere.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - some offices allow it, while others do not.  I do not disagree about this.  It's the same, in that respect, as many/most immigration rules. 
But, if you have 800K in your own sole-owership account, that seems to be accepted everywhere.

Yes, but the ops original report was regarding a joint account with his girlfriend it didn't meet the requirements since it was below the amount stated I included my opinion just as a suggestion 1.6 just in case he might be able to up the amount. I'm asked all the time for personal reasons I keep it in joint for a number of reasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Yes, but the ops original report was regarding a joint account with his girlfriend it didn't meet the requirements since it was below the amount stated I included my opinion just as a suggestion 1.6 just in case he might be able to up the amount. I'm asked all the time for personal reasons I keep it in joint for a number of reasons. 

Nice if my Thai wife could access immediately if I died (though hope that is a ways off); thinking about the 2nd signature trick mentioned above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Nice if my Thai wife could access immediately if I died (though hope that is a ways off); thinking about the 2nd signature trick mentioned above.

We have had this account for 18 years in both our names we have other accounts. I've never trusted the Bank system in particularly what they are telling me as to what our rights are you find out later after the accounts are opened. I have a number of friends and family living here who have done all the right things Will and such when the Thai wife dies it is like putting teeth trying to execute anything.

This original account in the beginning I've taken money out on my own and so has she of course we both have knowledge of the withdraw. Two years ago when all this was going down I removed a large portion and place it in the other accounts this account I told her is to be used for my Visa extension and for any medical situation we both might have there is more than enough money for the requirement. Told her anything happen to me this account is an added bonus.

I believe in family tradition anyone who can stay with me over ten years deserve at least half!????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK ... update from original postee.  - Went to immigration last week.  with just about every document copied and signed and then was informed that we needed a tourist visa extension stamp as the previous one had expired. - location of building near to the Impact arena - cost 1900 thb. This meant that a non imm O could be granted which can be converted to retirement visa in the normal manner.  Very impressed with the organisation and assistance from the Thai authorities. Also had a visit at condo from 2 immigration guys later that week wanting to take photos (as we had been informed they might) again no problems. Funding was fine in the end ( transfer from abroad - they didn't  like the joint account so money moved in and appropriate certificates obtained from the bank).  Total time there inc trip to second office approx 3 hours.   Thanks for all assistance  / advice from forum members... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mikie said:

OK ... update from original postee.  - Went to immigration last week.  with just about every document copied and signed and then was informed that we needed a tourist visa extension stamp as the previous one had expired. - location of building near to the Impact arena - cost 1900 thb. This meant that a non imm O could be granted which can be converted to retirement visa in the normal manner.  Very impressed with the organisation and assistance from the Thai authorities. Also had a visit at condo from 2 immigration guys later that week wanting to take photos (as we had been informed they might) again no problems. Funding was fine in the end ( transfer from abroad - they didn't  like the joint account so money moved in and appropriate certificates obtained from the bank).  Total time there inc trip to second office approx 3 hours.   Thanks for all assistance  / advice from forum members... 

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you succeeded in getting the 90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa.

But it's very strange that you got an immigration Visit (you write that they informed you about it) to take photos.  That's often done when applying for an extension based on marriage (to check whether you are indeed living with your thai wife on the address provided).  But first time I hear that they visited to check on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa. 

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But first time I hear that they visited to check on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa. 

Not the first one. Many reports of immigration doing a visit to confirm their they are living at the address in Bangkok shown on the non immigrant visa application. 

I think they are doing it to enforce the rule that you an only apply where you living. It appears to be a immigration division 1 requirement for the approval of the application.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, Mikie said:

Hi Mikie, not sure if you are still checking this thread, but I have a quick follow-up question.

First, I am not quite clear why a tourist visa extension stamp was required given the automatic extension until July 31.  Was there any explanation of this?  What was the initial expiration date stamp for the visa? (maybe they just want the extra 1900 bt)

Second, I am interested in the same approach for converting to a Non-O for retirement but in my case I would be converting from a visa exemption (stamp was until 6 April).  Based on your experience, it seems they may ask me to extend the visa exemption for 30 days first (extra cost of 3x1900 or 5700 bt for my family, plus additional trip to Impact area, paperwork and photos) before doing the Non-O conversion.  Maybe I am missing something.  Can Ubonjoe, Peter or anyone shed light on this?

Edited by eppic

10 hours ago, eppic said:

Second, I am interested in the same approach for converting to a Non-O for retirement but in my case I would be converting from a visa exemption (stamp was until 6 April).

They may require you to apply for a 30 day extension for you to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immgiration.

There is no reason for your family to apply for the 30 day extension since they will not be a applying for a visa at immigration. They will have to leave the country to get a non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate when the borders open.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe, just to be clear, this means there is no way to complete an application for conversion to non-O for my family? Dependent's visa exemptions cannot be converted to non-O in-country?  (I don't recall needing them to get them a non-O visa outside Thailand the first time we did the conversion, but it's been a few years).

In this case, it would probably be pointless to do it at all, we would all need to leave the country and return, which defeats the purpose and likely means quarantines at both locations (horrible with a small child), if we can enter at all.  If this is the reality, I expect we may simply depart Thailand one-way and not return.

26 minutes ago, eppic said:

Ubonjoe, just to be clear, this means there is no way to complete an application for conversion to non-O for my family? Dependent's visa exemptions cannot be converted to non-O in-country? 

That is correct. They only do them for family members of a person on a extension based upon working, teaching and diplomats.

List from immigration website.

image.png.255e432f14441de4b13084bf4644a2ee.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 8:51 PM, eppic said:

Hi Mikie, not sure if you are still checking this thread, but I have a quick follow-up question.

First, I am not quite clear why a tourist visa extension stamp was required given the automatic extension until July 31.  Was there any explanation of this?  What was the initial expiration date stamp for the visa? (maybe they just want the extra 1900 bt)

Second, I am interested in the same approach for converting to a Non-O for retirement but in my case I would be converting from a visa exemption (stamp was until 6 April).  Based on your experience, it seems they may ask me to extend the visa exemption for 30 days first (extra cost of 3x1900 or 5700 bt for my family, plus additional trip to Impact area, paperwork and photos) before doing the Non-O conversion.  Maybe I am missing something.  Can Ubonjoe, Peter or anyone shed light on this?

just logged on and saw this by chance. The reason we were told that we needed an extension stamp was that the original tourist visa had expired - as the July 31 amnesty is not recognised as part of the visa converstion process, the only way that the 'process' can be followed is to extended the tourist visa and pay the standard 1900 ish thb for this. This avoids us having to leave the country and re-enter with a new tourist visa which is not a option at this time. My understanding is that you can only get an extra 30 days from the original expiry date of the tourist visa ie maximum 60 days in total so I guess it was luck that we decided to go ahead with the visa conversion within the 60 days of initial entry to the country.

ref your second point - I can't comment on that one - I guess you have to ask at the office, however, our experience was that they were very helpful once our situation had been explained. - good luck!