BANGKOK
Mikie

retirement visa funding requirement

Hi there -  I work here legally but UK partner / GF  is stuck here due to Covid and wants to stay beyond 31st July so we want to go for a retirement visa for her. 800 k in bank but account in joint names. Funds transferred in and have been there for quite a while - arranging to visit Bangkok immigration next week. Does anyone have experience with this scenario and also converting a tourist visa to non imm O and then application for extension ( which I believe is the way to go about this?) - Any help would be appreciated - cheers

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline outlining all options/details to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extensions.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the prompt reply guys - annoying thing is that the money came from her foreign account in the first place .... i'll read the pm'd details tonite - hopefully things will work out ...

1.6 million if joint names, worse comes to worse give M.T.T. a try if they are still in business at 183/22 Soi Post office they helped a friend of a friend very similar.

Good luck

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

1.6 million if joint names, worse comes to worse give M.T.T. a try if they are still in business at 183/22 Soi Post office they helped a friend of a friend very similar.

Good luck

No joint accounts are allowed. 

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Not true when it comes to the Immigration office JOMTIEN,  use this bank book years ago like 10 then easier to just go to Bangkok and get the letter since it ended January of this year I again used my JOINT bankbook,  months prior I double check at Window 8 with a number of staff they review the book and confirm since it had 800 x2 = 1.6 plus it was o.k.

January 17th, took all the necessary paperwork, including Bank letter, etc.. approved, after lockdown last week went down bank letter etc. to verify funds all approved without any problem.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Wrong, You can have an account in most banks,CMBI cannot do it,

go to the bank and tell them you want to add your wife,partner

to the account,and they can give you a book in your name,with

the other person added to the signature page,so they are allowed,

to withdraw funds etc,so you must trust them.the Immigration never

check the signatures with UV light, a covert joint account,not illegal

otherwise the banks would not do it.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

the Immigration never check the signatures with UV light, a covert joint account, not illegal otherwise the banks would not do it.

If only the partner's book has the 2nd signature, you'd be safe, in any case.  Just don't use that one.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not true when it comes to the Immigration office JOMTIEN,  use this bank book years ago like 10 then easier to just go to Bangkok and get the letter since it ended January of this year I again used my JOINT bankbook,  months prior I double check at Window 8 with a number of staff they review the book and confirm since it had 800 x2 = 1.6 plus it was o.k.

To be clear, though, the "double the amount" / joint-acct method may not be accepted everywhere.  I would not advise anyone starting fresh to go this route.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Mikie said:

thanks for the prompt reply guys - annoying thing is that the money came from her foreign account in the first place .... i'll read the pm'd details tonite - hopefully things will work out ...

Ubonjoe already gave you precise instructions on what to do of which the most important part is getting the money into her own account ASAP, after that it is straight forward - the 800k needs to be in the bank for 2 months before application for extension - the Type O conversion "in country" gives you 90 days to complete the process 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Mikie said:

you mean a foreign account in Thailand bank - if so this foreign account could have been used in most IO's without issue as long as the exchange rate on the day meets the 800k balance required

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If only the partner's book has the 2nd signature, you'd be safe, in any case.  Just don't use that one.

To be clear, though, the "double the amount" / joint-acct method may not be accepted everywhere.  I would not advise anyone starting fresh to go this route.

Sorry in all due respect but please go back and read my post again I went out of my way to point out JOMTIEN!  I also noted I originally started over 10 years ago with my first retirement then found out much easier for my situation to just go into Bangkok Embassy and get the letter was doing that for 7 years? 

This year fresh I consider it and as noted went down spoke to a number of agents ALL stated months prior and all said O.K. that was my answer to those who quoted me it can't be done!  The subject has been going on now for near two years there are a number of reports since then about other immigration offices accepting joint accounts as long as you have 800,000 for each the information I provided isn't misleading therefore respectfully stand by it.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

you mean a foreign account in Thailand bank - if so this foreign account could have been used in most IO's without issue as long as the exchange rate on the day meets the 800k balance required

I am sure he meant the 800k baht was transfered from abroad.

31 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Sorry in all due respect but please go back and read my post again I went out of my way to point out JOMTIEN!  I also noted I originally started over 10 years ago with my first retirement then found out much easier for my situation to just go into Bangkok Embassy and get the letter was doing that for 7 years? 

This year fresh I consider it and as noted went down spoke to a number of agents ALL stated months prior and all said O.K. that was my answer to those who quoted me it can't be done!  The subject has been going on now for near two years there are a number of reports since then about other immigration offices accepting joint accounts as long as you have 800,000 for each the information I provided isn't misleading therefore respectfully stand by it.

Yes - some offices allow it, while others do not.  I do not disagree about this.  It's the same, in that respect, as many/most immigration rules. 
But, if you have 800K in your own sole-owership account, that seems to be accepted everywhere.

• Like 2