Why Does my ipad Mini only charge when it is Switched Off?

Pilotman

Continuing issues with my 5 year old ipad mini.  It will now only charge itself when it is switched off and not always then.  Try to charge it while it is on and it just depletes the battery over a short time. I am using an Apple charger, so it's not the charger. Anyone have any advice, or knowledge of this issue? 

Edited by Pilotman

36 minutes ago, aircooledflat4 said:

Battery probably on the way out. Eventually won't charge at all. Has it been running hot for extended periods? That'll reduce its life.

That is what I thought, so I had a new one fitted, same issue. The Thai chap tried to explain why it may be doing what it is doing, but I didn't understand a word of his explanation, my poor Thai and his poor English didn't allow for any real communication. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am using an Apple charger, so it's not the charger.

Just because it’s an apple charger doesn’t stop it failing. The cable is also something to check.

Try a different “known to be good” charger and different “known to be good” cable. If neither of those fixes the problem then it’s almost certainly the battery and at 5 years it’s almost certainly the battery.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just because it’s an apple charger doesn’t stop it failing. The cable is also something to check.

Try a different “known to be good” charger and different “known to be good” cable. If neither of those fixes the problem then it’s almost certainly the battery and at 5 years it’s almost certainly the battery.

see above, the battery is new. I have used a number of cables.  It must be internal to the ipad, but I don't know what it may be or if it is fixable. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

see above, the battery is new. I have used a number of cables.  It must be internal to the ipad, but I don't know what it may be or if it is fixable. 

If it happened reasonably soon after the new battery was fitted then it’s either a bad battery, quite possible unless it was sourced from Apple, during the fitting something was not firmly connected, or the charging port is going bad.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:14 PM, lujanit said:

Have you tried a reset?  General/Reset/Reset all settings. This can cure a host of ills, hopefully yours.  No damage done if it doesn’t work. 

+1

OR

make a full backup, reset to factory settings, then restore from backup.

don't rule the charger or charging cable just yet. either or both may have some fault that prevents delivering full power to your device.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, Pilotman said:

That is what I thought, so I had a new one fitted, same issue. The Thai chap tried to explain why it may be doing what it is doing, but I didn't understand a word of his explanation, my poor Thai and his poor English didn't allow for any real communication. 

Also an app (or 2) running in the background when on. But I probably will go with the 5 + year old battery suggestion.As my lap top is over 5 years old and runs well ... but with power on only.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, Pilotman said:

I had same with a samsung smartphone and a month later he died ...., dont know if it is battery as i bought another and because lockdown could nit go Samsung repair center Naklua Nua .

Smartphones are made to replace quick ..... my very old Samsung Clamshell dumb phone 15 years + still works , but battery start aging , bestphone i ever had , small ,clear and easy use ...

632_g[1].jpg

I did some Googling and found a few forum posts that say it could be the charging port, tristar or the PMIC:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/586191

https://forum.ipadrehab.com/forum/iphone-logic-board-repair/580-ipad-mini-2nd-gen-charging-only-while-off

You'll need someone who is good with board level repair and doesnt charge a lot, otherwise you might be better off just getting a newer iPad.

• 2 months later...

“Charging when off” is usually PMIC related. When dealing with iPad and charging issues, especially older models, always start with the charge port first (which you have done). When that doesn’t solve the issue, then look at Tristar (easier replacement) and then PMIC when all else fails. The PMIC’s can be expensive so troubleshoot the issue fully before replacing them.

• 1 month later...

My 11 inch iPad Pro new in Jan this year stopped charging. It stuck at 30% and would not increase with the charger connected. I obtained new cable and charger from a local shop, no improvement.

I was ready to take down the i Center to ask them check for either faulty battery or input connection.

Then I read a post in this thread and carried out a Hard Reset.

Problem solved now charging as it should.

john