Matayom 4 entrance exams

My son and my neighbours daughter have to take an entrance exam to get into M4.

They were supposed to take it March but Covid-19 got in the way and the next target date is supposedly in June.

Does anyone know if and where I can download some old exam papers to take at home to improve their chances?

Any help will be much appreciated by me but probably not by them.

• Like 1

Exam 7 next month! But if kids go school in your area they can't deny any student. Different if apply some famous school in different area. Exam depens what kind program they apply. All have different exam. Here whit thai. Hope help little .

unnamed.jpg.0bf86b1f05f1ea787e888890b204dd19.jpg

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Exam 7 next month! But if kids go school in your area they can't deny any student. 

Yes they can:

Admission to the school is mainly through examinations, although there are also designated quotas for students with specific abilities and achievements. The examination process is highly competitive; over 10,000 students applied for 1,100 available seats in the 2019 academic year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triam_Udom_Suksa_School

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes they can:

Admission to the school is mainly through examinations, although there are also designated quotas for students with specific abilities and achievements. The examination process is highly competitive; over 10,000 students applied for 1,100 available seats in the 2019 academic year.

They can't , depens your address!!! System can't explain to farang lol.

Many kids address is in different place where they apply school and that is problem. Like i say txt before if you apply famous school or outside your area where is your HOME address then can deny! Normaly Thailand every kids can and have to go school. But ticket is not huge if not go! If parents so stupid. 

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

They can't , depens your address!!! System can't explain to farang lol.

Many kids address is in different place where they apply school and that is problem. Like i say txt before if you apply famous school or outside your area where is your HOME address then can deny! Normaly Thailand every kids can and have to go school. But ticket is not huge if not go! If parents so stupid. 

I know the system. You didn't explain right, you said: Different if apply some famous school in different area.

You can be refused by a famous school in the same area too.

14 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Exam 7 next month! But if kids go school in your area they can't deny any student. Different if apply some famous school in different area. Exam depens what kind program they apply. All have different exam. Here whit thai. Hope help little .

unnamed.jpg.0bf86b1f05f1ea787e888890b204dd19.jpg

Thank you for that. I will get my son to translate later.

They actually go to school in the next district and have done for the past 3 years and that is 15km away. We got them in there as that school offered a mini English language program.  In our district there is only 1 senior school which I don't think is as good as the one they are in now.

13 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes they can:

I am sorry. I should have said that we live in rural Khampaeng Phet. Your link is for Bangkok.

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that. I will get my son to translate later.

They actually go to school in the next district and have done for the past 3 years and that is 15km away. We got them in there as that school offered a mini English language program.  In our district there is only 1 senior school which I don't think is as good as the one they are in now.

Good luck ????. Let your son explain what mean happening in 12 next month. But if exam goes great that day dosent matter to him ????

The school they want to get into should have a website.  It will be the name of the school .ac.th.  Unless the website manager is not working due to Coved19, the webpage should have news and announcements, including the date and location of the next admission tests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otherstuff1957 said:

The school they want to get into should have a website.  It will be the name of the school .ac.th.  Unless the website manager is not working due to Coved19, the webpage should have news and announcements, including the date and location of the next admission tests.

Thank you for that. I will get my son to see what is happening.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:03 PM, FritsSikkink said:

What don't you understand?

That you tossed him a wiki link to Triam perhaps? What are the odds those kids going to get in there? Zero.

To the OP: Every ME entrance is different. Go to the schools website and see if they have old or practice exams.

Triam produces prep materials that might be sold online but it's doubtful. I'm certain this work is way beyond your kids. You might contact one of the better teachers or admin and ask. There must be generic study materials online for M4 entrance. If you're just pulling up nothing. Go to niets and look at the M6 ONET. All the top  20 schools might have something online.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

That you tossed him a wiki link to Triam perhaps? What are the odds those kids going to get in there? Zero.

To the OP: Every ME entrance is different. Go to the schools website and see if they have old or practice exams.

Triam produces prep materials that might be sold online but it's doubtful. I'm certain this work is way beyond your kids. You might contact one of the better teachers or admin and ask. There must be generic study materials online for M4 entrance. If you're just pulling up nothing. Go to niets and look at the M6 ONET. All the top  20 schools might have something online.

I was reacting on a statement from someone else , who said when you leave nearby, they can't deny your kids. There are quite a few schools in BKK that will deny you if you are not up to standard. My daughter goes to one.

Edited by FritsSikkink

On 5/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, FritsSikkink said:

I was reacting on a statement from someone else , who said when you leave nearby, they can't deny your kids. There are quite a few schools in BKK that will deny you if you are not up to standard. My daughter goes to one.

There are about half dozen extremely competitive public schools in BKK. This is excluding public privates like Pathumwan Demonstration, Satit Chula and Mahidol Wittayasor. BCC and all the Christian, Catholic schools will have some form of tuition forgiveness for select students.

Probably about twenty five in BKK where the M4 exam really does matter. Schools are popular and competition fierce because the others are so marginal.

I think all the best schools have some form of local quota perhaps you are not aware of. In the "smaller", better schools it may be very small or very selective.

Triam Patanakarn is special it takes in a lot of local kids but they don't receive the same level of education generally and are educated in hot, top floor classrooms. It's not an upper top tier school but the better students there get into top five universities (students in /1 - /5).

Triam Udom Suksa has provincial, sports and cultural quotas which amount to perhaps 300 students or more. Suankularb definately does. Debsirin does. Samsen and Bodindecha I think Samsen maybe like TU. Bodindechca, Satriwittaya uncertain but I'd think some quota even if small in place. The rest of the good schools in BKK are either public/private or private. Those will not have quotas. After that the public schools don't matter save for the outliers like Horwang, Bodin2 and Yotin. Those are all ok. I'd imagine they'd have small quotas.

Honestly, parents wouldn't always know especially farang parents. Might take the shine off the brand. Some schools keep it secret because kids are underprivileged minority. Many teachers don't even know. This is especially true if quota is small and selective. Pattanakarn there's an army of local kids.

Good luck this year for your daughter.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 2:52 AM, uncleP said:

Triam udom?

Yes, from 40 to 50 kids in some classes, ugly so-called "teachers" from different fields of life and scandal-full administration. Sad for kids, seriously, their future is doomed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Yes, from 40 to 50 kids in some classes, ugly so-called "teachers" from different fields of life and scandal-full administration. Sad for kids, seriously, their future is doomed. 

Luckily my son and my neighbours daughter have gone to Klong Lan Wittiya school for the last 3 years, on the mini English program and there were only about 25 in the class. Two teachers, one Thai and one Filipino, both pretty good.

Next month they and all their class mates have to take the Matayom 4 entrance exam for M4, 5 and 6.