Air Pollution - in Isan not a problem?

Yom

Just to keep you informed , 

There's a Virus situation in every some where , including Esan .

I dont  know about air pollution , i never go out , isolated forever..

Edited by elliss

18 minutes ago, elliss said:

Just to keep you informed , 

There's a Virus situation in every some where , including Esan .

So you never open window or door? Or only guess your AC filter is great!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

So you never open window or door? Or only guess your AC filter is great!

FYI .

if you can afford AC ,  one should not open window or door .

Isolate,  You know it makes sense . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elliss said:

You're joking? - Splendid Isolation.

Some say, air pollution might be much worse than Covid.

Please pay attention that AC doesn't protect against particulate matter.

An air purifier does. A face mask N95 too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

so look north what is there

I'm not sure, at least these days.

The map shows PM2.5. The winds are blowing into Laos and Vietnam.

Some days you get the 'exhaust air' from the powerplant Mae Sot

near Tak. But are there 'sources' in Isan too?

image.png.3b49c742accfd9e76b9d06b03acfb48b.png

https://www.ventusky.com/    May15  12:00  -  PM2.5

Northern Thailand has been one of the top areas for airpolution in the world although this is not a fault of the Thai industry , it is from China , there are numerous reports available online, and the burning of cane and rice fields contributed to this along with the production of charcoal 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Welshpete said:

it is from China

I suppose, this is correct and not.

Usually the winds in the wintertime are blowing the China smog into Vietnam, Laos

and Thailand. - Thanks God (and 'thanks' Nino/LaNina?) not in 2019 and 2020.

Most of our smog in 2020 has been produced by neighbouring countries (yes, really!)

and also came travelling from India via Bangladesh/Myanmar.

OK, there is traffic exhaust too, especially in Chiang Mai. Then there are two powerplants

in Mae Moh/Lampang and Mae Sot/Tak. They use the local lignite mines. Lignite is a

really bad air polluter.

And of course there have been many, many forest fires inside Thailand too,

garbage fires, slash and burn etc.

13 hours ago, Yom said:

Most of our smog in 2020 has been produced by neighbouring countries (yes, really!)

and also came travelling from India via Bangladesh/Myanmar.

This agrees with my observations and monitoring, I am outside Udon Thani, the worse pollution occurs when the wind is out of the South, it brings not only local burning but the pollution from India etc. The AQI has been good for the last couple of weeks.

When the AQI is bad in season, a wind direction change from the West brings in much cleaner air, the dirty dusty cities are another story, they recycle there own pollutants as streets are rarely cleaned and there are a lot dirty polluting vehicles.

• Like 1

Issan is a very large area. Too large for there to be a generalization. Get away from the cities and from the sugarcane farms and this is the kind of air one can enjoy. I regard this a normal for this area, which some 25kms east of Sakon Nakhon.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Our province, Sakon Nakhon has only had one case of C19 and that was about 120 kms away from us. I've been out everyday without mask and do not feel in the least bit concerned

Same where I am, very few cases, never worn a mask, don't feel the need to deprive my body of oxygen and re-breathe CO2 for no reason other than it further drives the vaccine "agenda"

As you state, outside the urban areas air is generally very good, we have been <20 aqi for a few weeks now, if you look at monitored areas it will be much higher than that!

• Like 2

I don't know where Isan is o.k. as far as air quality goes. It's not where we live. Besides the seasonal pollution such as the burning of the cane fields and the clearing of the rice fields, our neighbors are constantly burning. I swear they get up in the morning and say to themselves, "what can I burn today?". Then there's the charcoal kilns, seems like everyone but me has one in the back yard. I will say, though, that the local authorities (Testsaban) are very sympathetic and do send their people out to investigate when a complaint is filed. It just seems that no one is ever burning when they come. 

• Like 1

Thais love to burn

laos loves to burn,

Myanmar loves to burn,

Cambodia loves to burn,

Vietnam loves to burn,

China...is a polluted S Hole!

Too bad Government cannot impose strict measures as with the Covid situation!

Us humans have gone insane...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Between 'Haha' and 'Sad'...

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

Then there's the charcoal kilns ...

This point is often forgotten. It can be a heavy burden

locally in the morning and/or in the evening.

I find the air quality in Kohn Kaen to be very poor. As you drive around the ring-road the vision is hampered by the SMOG.

Drive East to Kalasin, pretty much the same. 

Too much localised burning. Uncontrolled burns of garbage & associated plastic, makes it almost toxic!

But it is a KK problem, and authorities do not give a rats rectum.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

I don't know where Isan is o.k. as far as air quality goes. It's not where we live. Besides the seasonal pollution such as the burning of the cane fields and the clearing of the rice fields, our neighbors are constantly burning. I swear they get up in the morning and say to themselves, "what can I burn today?". Then there's the charcoal kilns, seems like everyone but me has one in the back yard. I will say, though, that the local authorities (Testsaban) are very sympathetic and do send their people out to investigate when a complaint is filed. It just seems that no on.e is ever burning when they come. 

Same where I am.  I am sure the locals are shipping stuff in to burn when they have finished burning the sugar cane.  Then there is the rubbish burning.  They seem to love burning plastic.   My family always start fires with pieces of inner tube rubber.   My sister in law, like others around here, do a rake around every few weeks and pile the rubbish next to the road and set fire to it irregardless what it contains ie plastic, green waste, anything the locals throw off their bikes or cars onto the side of the road.  This goes on even on days the Pu Yai Barn is announcing on the speakers not to burn.  The police just drive by too busy with their envelope pick ups from the cock fighting and boxing organisers.  We have a khlong at the bottom of our property which is a favourite place to dump.  The neighbours on the other side of the khlong dont want to pay the 200 odd baht a year for rubbish collection so dump what they dont burn in the khlong.  The Tessabarn has a good rubbish collection but take it out to a land fill area behind the hospital and burn it daily.  During the sugar cane burning season the Pu Yai Ban tells people to burn at night coz you cant see the smoke then and you cant be seen so blame it on some naughty boys with matches.  So no, the air quality in my area of Isaan is not good.

• Sad 1