Any Mail arriving from USA?

A friend received a USPS letter yesterday from TIAA that was mailed on May 8.  Much better than another friend who received a letter from Prudential last week that was postmarked March 16 and looked like it had been left out in the rain and run over by a car.  The letter was moldy.

I've been receiving correspondence from the SSA, VA and IRS consistently in about 4 or 5 weeks during the shutdown, but I wonder if the USG has an some alternate to the USPS to get mail into the country.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

But Thai Post is only accepting surface mail since they cannot send out any mail by air due to Thai Airways not having any flights out of the country.

Update on June 2nd on Thai post site that EMS and parcel service to the US is possible now.

See page 2 here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Received my tax refund check today.  It was reported by the IRS to have been mailed 17 April....took 7 weeks to arrive.....

58 days by my count over 8+ weeks. Glad you received your autograph from the POTUS.????

Edited by khwaibah
57 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

He said mailed April 17 and received yesterday. 58+ days 8 weeks. 

14 days in April

31 days in May

08 days in June (said received today)

53 days total

Edited by lopburi3
Correct my own math
  • Haha 1
On 6/6/2020 at 2:05 PM, NancyL said:

A friend received a USPS letter yesterday from TIAA that was mailed on May 8.  Much better than another friend who received a letter from Prudential last week that was postmarked March 16 and looked like it had been left out in the rain and run over by a car.  The letter was moldy.

I've been receiving correspondence from the SSA, VA and IRS consistently in about 4 or 5 weeks during the shutdown, but I wonder if the USG has an some alternate to the USPS to get mail into the country.

It’s mail coming from SSA that I’m a little worried about now because that annual I-am-not-dead-yet report usually arrives the middle of this month and has a short turn around time for filling it out and returning it, to avoid my SSA payments from being stopped. I’m sure you SSA recipients are familiar with that annual report form. Has anyone received theirs yet?

11 minutes ago, morning glory said:

It’s mail coming from SSA that I’m a little worried about now because that annual I-am-not-dead-yet report usually arrives the middle of this month and has a short turn around time for filling it out and returning it, to avoid my SSA payments from being stopped. I’m sure you SSA recipients are familiar with that annual report form. Has anyone received theirs yet?

It's been reported in another thread that SSA will not seek to penalise those who return their form late this year and accounts will not be suspended.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1166558-us-ss-form-7162/?do=findComment&comment=15493063

Edited by Trillian
  • Like 1

I've received some mail that took about 3 weeks recently. I went to the Thai post office today to send some forms to the US. I was told only EMS was going but they gave me a document rate. They are always very good and had questions about US regarding Covid and demonstrations. Always friendly with super service.

1 minute ago, checkered flag said:

I've received some mail that took about 3 weeks recently. I went to the Thai post office today to send some forms to the US. I was told only EMS was going but they gave me a document rate. They are always very good and had questions about US regarding Covid and demonstrations. Always friendly with super service.

What was the cost? 

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Int'l EMS is pricey, but with limited mailing capability right now it's one of few choices.   Below is a pricing of a 28 gram (1 ounce) document from the Thailand Post website...works out to Bt880.  And stayed that price up to 250 grams (8.8 ounces).  

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=US&weight=28

image.png.019ad1049430e56e8ff4955c8ee73e5a.png

Believe most of us send letters which are 1,400 baht however.  Have no idea what a document would be - as a simple check/A4 printout in envelope was 1,500 at shop sending EMS on March 13.

FWIW ALL my mail from Thailand is "registered", it costs very little, perhaps an additional 20 baht per standard letter and everything seems to arrive in the UK very quickly, around 7 days and never gets lost.

I just rec'd an envelope shipment via DHL from Houston Texas to Bangkok.  From pickup date/time to received date/time all referenced to Thailand date/time it took 4.5 days.  It spent about a full day in Hong Kong waiting for the next cargo shipment ride on to Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received (19 June) a US govt envelope from Pennsylvania to my Bangkok residence....post marked 4 June....that works out to 15 days mailing time.  The mailing was standard first class $1.20 international stamp postage.  Appears US-to- Thailand mailing times are returning to normal.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to post my request for an absentee ballot in my state in the US on Friday and the woman at the post office told me that there was only ems express 7 day mail. It would be something like 660 baht or so to send what I wanted. There was no regular mail or sea mail to the US. What rubbish this is. I didn't mail it. It's almost like this part of a plan to kill the regular post offices everywhere.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

I went to post my request for an absentee ballot in my state in the US on Friday and the woman at the post office told me that there was only ems express 7 day mail. It would be something like 660 baht or so to send what I wanted. There was no regular mail or sea mail to the US. What rubbish this is. I didn't mail it. It's almost like this part of a plan to kill the regular post offices everywhere.

Mail/drop it off at the US Embassy/Consoluate who in turn will get it to the US.  See their 12 June message below.

Routine Message – U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand (June 12, 2020)

Event:  Voting - Mail Voter Registration and Absentee Ballots from Thailand

Mail Voter Registration and Absentee Ballots from Thailand

U.S. Embassy Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai are accepting absentee voter registration and ballots to mail to the United States.

Returning Your Completed, Signed Voting Materials: All U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots or voter registration forms electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your voting documents by email, fax, or internet download. Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically and others do not. If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, professional courier service, or through the U.S. Embassy Bangkok or U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai. 

U.S. citizen voters can mail these forms to the addresses below. Please ensure your voter registration form or ballot is sealed, addressed, and has U.S. postage before being placed inside of a separate envelope that is used to mail the ballot to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

American Citizen Services

Attn: Voting Assistance Officer

95 Wireless Road

Bangkok, Thailand 10330

U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces should mail their ballots to the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai at:

U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai

American Citizen Services

Attn: Voting Assistance Officer

387 Wichayanond Rd

T. Chang Moi, A. Muang

Chiang Mai 50300 Thailand

U.S. citizens may also drop off their registrations and ballots at the U.S. Embassy Bangkok in the voting box located at the Consular Section’s security entrance, or at the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai in the voting box at the Consular Section’s security entrance. U.S. citizen employees of the Department of State are responsible for the handling of your ballots. Once received, items will be sent via diplomatic pouch to be delivered to your district office.

Printable postage-paid return envelopes can be found on the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) website here: https://www.fvap.gov/eo/overview/materials/forms. Please allow at least two weeks for your voting documents to arrive at the district office from the date they are received at our Embassy or Consulate.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Thanks for the info Pib. I thought they might do this for us.

Some states allow you to apply for absentee voting by email and receive your ballot the same way.

I did it that way in 2016 and the only thing I had to mail was my ballot and I mailed it to the embassy.

I received a letter from a friend in California yesterday, postmarked June 11, so it took 15 days to get here. Seems like the mail service is pretty much back to normal, US to Thailand, but I’m not sure how it is from Thailand to the US. Hopefully it will be back to normal in time for us to mail our ballots! ????

• Sad 1