Chiang Rai: Local official alleged to have arranged false Thai ID for 150,000 baht a time

webfact

Chiang Rai: Local official alleged to have arranged false Thai ID for 150,000 baht a time

6pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A kamnan in Ban Saew sub-district of Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai has been arrested on a charge of falsification of documents and using fake documents.

Investigators claim that Suphot, 51, was conniving with an agent to get fake IDs for people using the cover of his privileged local position. 

The kamnan and an agent called Bunma were caught at a district office helping a woman get the Thai ID known as 'bat prachachon'.

A search of Suphot's home turned up no incriminating evidence but there was certain paperwork of interest at the agent's address in Mae Jan district.

6pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A Chiang Saen police officer told the media that the kamnan was in possession of paperwork that proved his guilt.

Suphot intents to fight the matter in court.

Investigators allege that he arranged with people in Kanchanaburi for others in Chiang Rai to assume their identities for up to 150,000 baht a time.

He worked with the agent gaining the trust of victims due to his position as a kamnan or local official.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-15

What sort of nonsense is this, 150,000 for an ID. It costs 2000 baht.

In the picture 3 guys are not wearing masks, one guy has a police T-shirt on with a back facing baseball cap, obviously not police, the guy in camouflage is just a lowly village security guy trying to look important, and none of them have shoes on.

This is not news in any way.

Can I have a Thai ID too? I've lived here long enough and speak the language fluently. I would prefer to get it the legal way, but why not pay someone to get me an ID? Still, not sure how one could be used for anything other than getting entry to a national park or other facility for the local price since they have computers now. If your ID details don't appear in the system, you could be arrested if they ever put such a card through a scanner.

4 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

In the picture 3 guys are not wearing masks, one guy has a police T-shirt on with a back facing baseball cap, obviously not police, the guy in camouflage is just a lowly village security guy trying to look important, and none of them have shoes on.

My wife and child's ID was only 200 Baht each. I think you added an extra 0

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

You might not know this, but in Thailand people remove their shoes before entering a house.

5 hours ago, drbeach said:

If your ID details don't appear in the system, you could be arrested if they ever put such a card through a scanner.

At this price tag I would assume that the IDs WERE in the system?

At some point there is an official who has the power to enter "useful" data.

Some 20 years ago the village headman could write a document with personal data of a registered citizen and attach photo of a different person. Go to amphoe with it and get your ID.

Easy swap for xxxx Baht.

But these powers on such a low level are long gone.

Damned computers sponsored by the Germans :biggrin:

Can I have a Thai ID too? I've lived here long enough and speak the language fluently.

Maybe.

If you're willing to get plastic surgery like Sean Connery's Bond character did in "You only live twice". 

image.png.abb0716e4d6a5fba7c426d5a541d0171.png

I would prefer to get it the legal way, but why not pay someone to get me an ID? 

There was a case a couple of years ago where some officials were found to be issuing Thai Ids to Chinese. I seem to remember it came out when a Chinese guy was arrested for something else and the details didn't add up. I think that was somewhere up north as well. 

18 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Somebody is not passing any dosh further up the line and has to be punished !

21 hours ago, webfact said:

to get fake IDs for people using the cover of his privileged local position. 

He was at the top of the food chain in his local office, this was for personal gain & lifestyle.

Corruption is in every nook & cranny in Thailand, nowhere is safe.

And truth be told, you don't get up the ladder if you don't indulge!

On 5/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, Proboscis said:

The news is NOT that IDs were for sale.

The real news is that someone was caught.

Well said but for enough money he will be not guilty.