Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Android TV Smart Box


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

Mibox is just another Android box what makes it special? Glad to know it makes you happy. 

is the Nvidia shield and beelink mentioned above just another android box too? My local computer shop is selling android boxes for a couple of hundred baht. I just fail to see the difference between any of them. On another thread some poster writes the shield is rubbish and you should buy an x,y,z, and then a whole load of people disagreeing which ups the confusion.

 Assuming initial cost is no objective, and the desired result is watching news, documentaries, movies EASILY and inexpensively with no programming or IT skills needed. Just plug in and watch tv. Which is the best box?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used Android boxes for years and ended up in the end building my own PC to cover everything I can do. A Android box cannot do what a PC can do. Sure you got Apps but nothing beats a full Operating s

Ok let me make it easier for you.   Do you think a no name smartphone is the same as an Iphone 11 Pro?   An Android box is in principle a smartphone in a bigger housing, and all bu

You know, considering that the OP is asking for simple advice on an Android TV plug in box - I somehow doubt that he is up for building his own PC, with or without "Linux", "Ubuntu" or "elementaryos"!

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

is the Nvidia shield and beelink mentioned above just another android box too? My local computer shop is selling android boxes for a couple of hundred baht. I just fail to see the difference between any of them.

I guess you also fail to see the difference between an MG and a BMW, between TCL and a Loewe TV and between a BiWin or a Samsung SSD.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

Mibox is just another Android box what makes it special? Glad to know it makes you happy. 

Mibox is Google and Netflix certified, so you can install the original Netflix application, other than that it is <deleted> with no Ethernet connection and a bug ridden firmware

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Susco said:

I guess you also fail to see the difference between an MG and a BMW, between TCL and a Loewe TV and between a BiWin or a Samsung SSD.

No idea what ssd, bwins,tcls or loewes are. But I do understand the difference between a BMW and an MG. Both will get you from Bangkok to Pattaya in roughly an hour. But nowhere on the internet will you find people saying "Oh you can't drive to Pattaya in BMW" followed by a thousand posts concurring and another thousand disagreeing and waffling on about double overhead cams and titanium valve tippets when all the owner wanted to know is what petrol does it take. Hence the confusion the tech minded people cause!

 

 Again, if the initial cost price is irrelevant, what is the best box for a lifetime of easily and inexpensively(not having 3 dozen subscriptions for netflix,amazon...) watching news, documentaries and movies in English language?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Susco said:

An Android box doesn't provide you with movies or whatever, because all that you have to install yourself.

Thank you for the explanation. It is a great help. Now it is starting to make sense.

 

 Pls can you expand on the installing process to actually watch movies, doc and news, and whether that is the same process whether you are using the Shield, Beelink, xzy android box? In basic laymans terms as with the above. Much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Thank you for the explanation. It is a great help. Now it is starting to make sense.

 

 Pls can you expand on the installing process to actually watch movies, doc and news, and whether that is the same process whether you are using the Shield, Beelink, xzy android box? In basic laymans terms as with the above. Much appreciated!

You have read my post, but it's obvious you didn't understand, so please try again

 

33 minutes ago, Susco said:

Different Android boxes have different spec. Processor speed, RAM - Memory - GPU.

 

You will understand that the higher the spec, the better the performance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Thank you for the explanation. It is a great help. Now it is starting to make sense.

 

 Pls can you expand on the installing process to actually watch movies, doc and news, and whether that is the same process whether you are using the Shield, Beelink, xzy android box? In basic laymans terms as with the above. Much appreciated!

There are literally 1,000s of apps to find content, the legal and paid for kind like netflix etc or various illegal apps, the illegal apps tend to come and go.

Installing an app like Kodi can be a good start, then there are add-ons (legal and illegal) to the kodi program for all sorts of content.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Assuming initial cost is no objective, and the desired result is watching news, documentaries, movies EASILY and inexpensively with no programming or IT skills needed. Just plug in and watch tv. Which is the best box?


Honestly, no box is going to satisfy this, in Thailand at least specifically. 
 

There is a learning curve, some apps work and others are <deleted>. Some people have a different acceptable standard of audio/video quality over others.... 

 

In my opinion the best WAY to watch streaming sites is through a paid subscriptions to those sites, a paid VPN service, and box that is marked as compatible for those sites in the highest native resolution and audio. A lot of cheap boxes will not play in HD or UHD because nextflix for example hasn’t allowed it. 
 

The boxes all do stuff that most people don’t use or need. They act like a media center for all your torrented movies and pictures, can act as a plex server, act as a mini pc. 
 

So in my opinion, the best streaming device is the fire stick 4K. It’s just a streamer, no other BS. All services are playable in 4K, VPNs work and easily downloadable. Snappy enough speed wise to not be annoying. 
 

If all you want is a streamer and don’t need “a box” then stick with devices that are made to do just that for all the major services. 
 

The best box is the shield, which is what I have, but it’s pricy and unnecessary for most people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Susco said:

Mibox is Google and Netflix certified, so you can install the original Netflix application, other than that it is <deleted> with no Ethernet connection and a bug ridden firmware

Have owned several of the junk android boxes (mecool, himedia, H96 pro plus, minix etc...) and got rid of all of them.

 

Now have a 4K firetv stick and a mibox s and no more problems with overheating and crashes. At least there is support and firmware updates.

 

One can install a USB hub and use a usb ethernet Lan and connect storage devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 1:41 PM, bkk6060 said:

Lots of techy comments on here I have no clue.

For me:

Buy Android box at Tukcom. MXQ black box.

 

Who sells a preloaded Android box at Tukcom?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, giddyup said:

Who sells a preloaded Android box at Tukcom?

PM me (I did post their details in another thread but it got deleted) if you want details of the guys that I bought my 2 Minix boxes from (I had 1 in Singapore & 1 in Bangkok, both are still going strong after 5 years & 2 years).

 

They also run a help forum & a FileLinked site where you can download things like Cinema HD (one of my favourite streaming apps along with TItanium)... But if you just want the app, Google something like "Best Filelinked sites for watching TV" there's loads of places where you can download it from. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

PM me (I did post their details in another thread but it got deleted) if you want details of the guys that I bought my 2 Minix boxes from (I had 1 in Singapore & 1 in Bangkok, both are still going strong after 5 years & 2 years).

 

They also run a help forum & a FileLinked site where you can download things like Cinema HD (one of my favourite streaming apps along with TItanium)... But if you just want the app, Google something like "Best Filelinked sites for watching TV" there's loads of places where you can download it from. 

 

Ok thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 8/3/2020 at 3:18 PM, userabcd said:

Have owned several of the junk android boxes (mecool, himedia, H96 pro plus, minix etc...) and got rid of all of them.

 

Now have a 4K firetv stick and a mibox s and no more problems with overheating and crashes. At least there is support and firmware updates.

 

One can install a USB hub and use a usb ethernet Lan and connect storage devices.

@userabcd  can you please do me a favor and check on your mi box s:
is it possible on the mi box s to install directly from the google play store

the app "brave" (browser) and the app "nordvpn"?


thanks a lot, khun motdaeng

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

@userabcd  can you please do me a favor and check on your mi box s:
is it possible on the mi box s to install directly from the google play store

the app "brave" (browser) and the app "nordvpn"?


thanks a lot, khun motdaeng

Nord VPN = Yes.

Brave = No but there is probably a workaround.

Sideload it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, Jai Dee said:

This review of the Magicsee N5 max x3  suggests an external hard disk of up to 3TB can be used for media storage.

 

One other important thing to consider about this particular box... Amlogic S905X3 applies quad-core Cortex-A55 processors, which is described as an "advanced application processor designed for hybrid OTT/ IP Set-Top Box (STB) and high-end media box applications". 

 

 It will run hot so perhaps fit some 6mm rubber feet under it to give a bit more air circulation and/or direct a fan at it.

Can you recommend an alternative that has the Amlogic, processors, etc that you mention please?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 3:18 PM, userabcd said:

Have owned several of the junk android boxes (mecool, himedia, H96 pro plus, minix etc...) and got rid of all of them.

 

Now have a 4K firetv stick and a mibox s and no more problems with overheating and crashes. At least there is support and firmware updates.

 

One can install a USB hub and use a usb ethernet Lan and connect storage devices.

Do Android boxes have any advantages over the 4k firetv?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stament said:

Do Android boxes have any advantages over the 4k firetv?


Yes and no, FireTV are android OS, so they are kind of the same thing. You can’t load everything to a fireTV because it doesn’t have Google playstore, you can however sideload most things, which isn’t so hard, when you get the hang of it. For instance, you can’t load AIS android app as far as I can tell.

 

I don’t have a 4K, I bought the regular one, I’m happy, it does what I want it to do rather well but I wish I had bought the 4K as it has a more powerful processor / RAM. I have had a few android sticks and boxes over the years and they all were prone to freezing , restarting during a movie, some just stopped working or the power supplies blew up.   


FireTV has Alexa, if you have other Alexa devices or a smart home that can be controlled by Alexa it may appeal. I also found that fireTV won’t work without internet - so even if you have WiFi, local media, and power, you can’t access it, because there is no WAN.

I sometimes feel that these cheap android boxes are a bit of a security risk, I could be wrong but they are loaded with lots of mysterious software, maybe they could be exploited as a back door into your network. Not too sure if fireTV are any less of a weak point tho. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had many of the Chinese Android boxes over the years and all have done what I needed it for, but they tended to wear out after a year or so.

Three years ago I bought a Himedia Q10 Pro. It was/is expensive, but it is still going strong and is top quality in my eyes.

My brother bought an Nvidia recently, but it seems to have very poor memory and he could only install a minimal amount of Apps.

He replaced this with an Amazon 4k firestick and I found this to be excellent ( I get the job of installing Free TV related stuff for them)

On Android boxes, look at RAM, Android version(keep it as close as possible to latest Mobile Phone spec,) and ROM, most of the other specs are marketting waffle.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, stament said:

Can you recommend an alternative that has the Amlogic, processors, etc that you mention please?

 

 

As one member has already said in this topic...

 

On 5/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, Susco said:

Better stay with S912 octa core processor, as that one has been proven, though S912 does not support higher than Android 7.1.2, which again is a firmware that has most of the bugs ironed out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, stament said:

Do Android boxes have any advantages over the 4k firetv?

 

Amazon devices are popular for one reason only.........they are cheap.

 

As with everything in the world, you get what you pay for, and that is not different with Amazon devices.

 

As I explained before, you can buy a Suzuki swift, or you can buy a BMW 750 LI, and both will take you from point A to B.

 

Now if you have driven in both, then you will know the difference

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Susco said:

 

Amazon devices are popular for one reason only.........they are cheap.

 

As with everything in the world, you get what you pay for, and that is not different with Amazon devices.

 

As I explained before, you can buy a Suzuki swift, or you can buy a BMW 750 LI, and both will take you from point A to B.

 

Now if you have driven in both, then you will know the difference

 

I like my shield tv the latest non pro. Its faster and better then my 4k fire tv. Like you said different boxes have different memory and processor. Also the interface is different.

 

I use my shield for plex (movies and series from my NAS) and netflix. Works great. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...