long distance cruising on a forza

i'm thinking of buying a 2016 forza 300 for longer trips like phuket to samui or even phuket to hua hin.

i've test driven one and it feels very comfortable and powerful compared to my PCX but interested to hear from anyone how has toured extensively on a Forza.

i've toured 10,000km in Mexico on a CBR500X before which was great but i want a low seat automatic now. my main concern is the heat frankly, i ride a bike every day but mostly short trips and use the car for longer trips so not sure how i feel about been out in the sun on a bike all day.

thx

Edited by steve2112

Yeah me too. I had a CB and a wonderful bike but autos so much better in the heavy traffic we have and as you said the heat. And the bigger the engine the worse the heat. Also find there is a lot of gravel on the road particularly around traffic lights and being higher up on a conventional bike, particularly if it is heavy your foot can slip easily when putting foot down to stop. Always feel like I have admitted I am getting old and this is a Grandpa bike but if you want something that will do it all in comfort this is the bike for me. It actually feels to me like sitting on a cruiser. You won't be sorry if you decide to get one. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Greg O said:

Not sure if the Forza has ABS brakes but I know the Yamaha XMAx does. Well worth considering then practice a few panic stops with it. Price being similar.

Mine has ABS, I think they all do. Another bonus I forgot to mention with this great bike. By the way I had an accident a year ago. Stupid young girl t boned me while I was stationary.

Her Honda wave a write off. Front wheel a figure 8. Forks pushed back into the engine. She was on her phone sending messages and going at least 80km on impact. My bike 1000 baht panel damage. No structural stuff. I got knocked over but not a scratch. If I was on a lighter bike I'd still be tumbling and probably lost a leg at least. These are extremely safe in an accident with the foot rest and shell all around you, and have a decent bit of weight in them, a lot more than a normal scooter. Providing you keep your legs in a lot safer than a normal bike

I hear a lot of guys saying they are too big for traffic city driving but I can't agree at all. I would think anyone who said this would have got on one for the first time and drove for half an hour. May feel a bit bigger at first but the dimensions are only fractionally wider than a normal scooter and centre of gravity very low so I find it excellent in traffic, even going up the middle of the cars.

Edited by Tingtong2mut
  • Like 2

Early starts are great but personally the whole idea is to relax and enjoy. If you're traveling with any group of more than One bike it's hard to get that early of a start however if you're transiting bkk on your way out of town try to be going across bkk by no later than 0530 and it will be much easier unless you can access the outer ring Rd to join your route. Going through town after 6 am is a pain even now. I came through bkk yesterday on the way to hua hin on my bike and it was traffic as usual ( couldn't wake up early due to social mingling) ..

On 5/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

White helmet will make no difference in this heat,

But does wonders for visibility. Also best to chose helmet for ventilation not style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

But does wonders for visibility. Also best to chose helmet for ventilation not style.

Yes.

I bought a Schuberth E3 flip up helmet about 8 months ago after a friend kept going on about how great they were. It's got good ventilation but the noise ( from being a flip up ) is sh!t, never had this type before and won't buy another one.

^ Yes i had a helmet in Indonesia with a flip down visor it was also noisy, and even worse when up, but I kept it on because I flipped it down in the rain to relive the stinging. ventilation vs. noise is a delicate balance. 

Long distance earplugs are the only solution. Noise cancelling is only really good at low frequencies.  

Edited by VocalNeal

I have had a couple of expensive flip up helmets and I didn't like them. Really useless for me because in the heat here it's open face for me or nothing, even though full face so much safer. I find the flip ups don't balance well and are heavy on the front so ok to flip up and talk to someone but you couldn't ride in flip up mode. Feels like your head wants to fall down. I got a Bilmola open face about 2000 baht but fully specced to USA / European standards. Like an old school Bell. Very comfortable helmet at a good price, bought it from a Yamaha dealer

On 5/18/2020 at 1:54 AM, Agusts said:

That's quite an interesting post, what a coincidence....! I bought a Forza 2016 last year, I'm in Phuket and been to Koh Samui and Hua Hin this Feb and Mar...!!! I was in Koh Samui twice last year, and many times to Ao Nang and Krabi. We go on a trip with my friend whenever we can and the weather is good. But now can't get out of Phuket and also rainy season is up on us - I hate riding in rain, it's far more dangerous, not just due to me, but many other idiots on the road who don't understand wet surfaces...!

For your info I flew to Pattaya,  bought my bike and rode it back to Phuket, in a relax 3 days trip. I found a good deal.... Be careful buying in Phuket, I searched a lot and test drove many Forzas here,  most were ex-rentals and abused, and with a high asking price....

I confirm everything the guys mentioned, it's a great bike, a few niggles but not major. If you find a low mileage in good condition it will go forever. Just find a good mechanic, I found Honda repair shops a bit useless.

As for heat, no problem at all 4 or 5 hours under the hottest sun, you don't feel it at 100kph. Just cover your body,  nothing should be exposed. I only recommend not put anything sensitive to temperature or electronics under the seat,  lots of space there but after a few hours it gets extremely hot in there - the only heat issue. The engine is liquid cooled, no matter what you do it stays as cool as cucumber...

I did not add or change anything on mine but for a long trip a taller windshield is a good idea. Unfortunately Honda no longer sells their own oem tall one, but there are many alternatives, much cheaper.

Ask me if you have any other question, but you never regret buying a Forza for touring... And the new model or Xmax are just similar engines and performance, maybe a bit different in shape but would it warrant paying so much more - not if you ask me...! 

Ah, one last thing, buy 2016 or 2017 models, the older versions had a few recalls, then you never know if it was fixed or not (unless you buy from the original owner), there were corrected I think mid 2015 or so.

awesome, maybe when things get back to normal we can meet up for a bike ride, phuket, samui/kpn, hua hin is my golden triangle. i agreed a deal with the seller and buying this tomorrow

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/update-beauty-for-sale-honda-forza-388536

the owner had it from new, never rented and always taken care of. 

i looked at a new one yesterday for 173,000, very nice but rather keep the 110,000 in my bank, not honda's

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, Tingtong2mut said:

I have had a couple of expensive flip up helmets and I didn't like them. Really useless for me because in the heat here it's open face for me or nothing, even though full face so much safer. I find the flip ups don't balance well and are heavy on the front so ok to flip up and talk to someone but you couldn't ride in flip up mode. Feels like your head wants to fall down. I got a Bilmola open face about 2000 baht but fully specced to USA / European standards. Like an old school Bell. Very comfortable helmet at a good price, bought it from a Yamaha dealer

i had a flip up helmet for my 10,000km epic journey around Mexico last year, but i agree, hot and heavy. i go old school open face with sun glasses now

25 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

awesome, maybe when things get back to normal we can meet up for a bike ride, phuket, samui/kpn, hua hin is my golden triangle. i agreed a deal with the seller and buying this tomorrow

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/update-beauty-for-sale-honda-forza-388536

the owner had it from new, never rented and always taken care of. 

i looked at a new one yesterday for 173,000, very nice but rather keep the 110,000 in my bank, not honda's

That's a good deal, and well worth the price comparing to Honda new...

It has some useful extras and you will enjoy it just as much...

Regular maintenance and these scooters should go for a long time...????

Longest trip was Bangkok to Chang rai, do regurarly 300-400 km trips, no problem at all, recommend taller windscreen but for me best mod ever was a mesh seat cover, keep your butt fresh and happy.