Welding outlet

bignbad

Pretty much all of the DIY welders run off a regular outlet anyway, so running a dedicated circuit in 2.5mm2 on a 20A breaker is the way to go. If your welder has a Schuko plug then do install the correct outlet, same wiring and breaker.

Nothing to stop you going with a 32A Commando outlet on 4mm2 and a 32A breaker if you have a bigger unit.

Don't forget it will need a ground ????

• Like 2

I've 15m of 2.5mm twin left over from my solar install, I added a plug and socket for use welding around the place, no earth, works fine.

Why do I need an earth, there's no earth on my welder plug?

Edited by BritManToo

Back in the day of stock car fabrication there was at least one guy in the village who didn't have a welding machine so he simply connected his welding rod holder and ground clamp to a cooker socket and welded his chassis at 220v. 

This did not endear him to his neighbours watching TV! 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Pretty much all of the DIY welders run off a regular outlet anyway, so running a dedicated circuit in 2.5mm2 on a 20A breaker is the way to go. If your welder has a Schuko plug then do install the correct outlet, same wiring and breaker.

Nothing to stop you going with a 32A Commando outlet on 4mm2 and a 32A breaker if you have a bigger unit.

I have several dedicated 4mm2 outdoor sockets in covered boxes to use for the 3 'bbq' fry cookers on 'family night' or for powering construction equipment. 

Don't know why I even bother as invariably I'll discover the power has gone out as a work crew has dismantled my CU to poke in wires on the 50A main breaker to power their sketchy extension cord running their transformer-based welder to do a project the family ordered -- they having already loaned my inverter welder to uncle so he could finish building his new house. This is Thailand. There's no need to plan anything as it's very unlikely that anything will go as planned. Sigh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Back in the day of stock car fabrication there was at least one guy in the village who didn't have a welding machine so he simply connected his welding rod holder and ground clamp to a cooker socket and welded his chassis at 220v. 

This did not endear him to his neighbours watching TV! 

There was an outfit in the Philippines that was actually selling a device to do this, it did have some sort of current limiting device inside. Apparently the word "safe" does not appear in the local language.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, BritManToo said:

I've 15m of 2.5mm twin left over from my solar install, I added a plug and socket for use welding around the place, no earth, works fine.

Why do I need an earth, there's no earth on my welder plug?

Who said one was needed?

My in laws had an outlet for welding that was wired directly to the mains OUTSIDE the house, so no circuit breaker. I nearly discovered it by putting my hand on the bare wires as they were covered with old junk. They had kindly omitted to put the cover on the knife switch. Obviously I did put a cover over it. Came in useful when I borrowed a big welder to weld the fence, as it kept overloading the circuit breaker on the inside plugs. I used it very carefully.

• Like 2