Lan Pho Park, Naklua

TaaSaparot

I hope the locals mount a protest; they can be successful. A couple of years ago the dolphin at dolphin roundabout was going to be demolished but local opposition brought a change of heart.

4 hours ago, champers said:

I hope the locals mount a protest; they can be successful. A couple of years ago the dolphin at dolphin roundabout was going to be demolished but local opposition brought a change of heart.

Yes and a small group of ladies stopped the Waterfront Bali Hai condo project.

This "Park" is just a relatively small patch of grass. The best place I've found to go is Pratamak Hill and Mountain loop

7 hours ago, champers said:

The idea was to get rid of the roundabout as it no longer functions with the new Terminal 21 mall and hotel there, it is a traffic jam. Thank heavens we didn't lose that cheap concrete statue that we can admire as we are stuck in immobile traffic and seeing the odd bargirls crushed by cement trucks. 

The last and only small park left in the greater pattaya area and they want to build a f***ing parking lot there? Folks this is not stupid this is deliberate evil.....There is fair amount of street parking in the area.....

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The last and only small park left in the greater pattaya area and they want to build a f***ing parking lot there? 

Led to believe its a Car Park with 5 levels.

96845208_3197392460305653_5060529780399538176_n.jpg.a16b8b0a726e0b8a401ca8a1b3e6999e.jpg

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

Authorities are saying the loss of Green Space will be compensated by:

550 square meter garden around the car park
1,550 square meter roof garden

1,700 square meter vertical garden

Only seeing this on Thai News sites, hopefully the English Language Media picks up the story soon.

• Like 1

Parking in that area is a major problem, even early in the morning when the place is just starting to open up (like around 05:30). If you go later in the morning or afternoon, it can take as long to find a place to park as it does to buy your seafood, have it cooked, find a spot in the park to sit and then eat it. I rarely eat down there anymore. I take the scooter, buy my squigglies and take them home. (Or take the big bike, put the squigglies in a cooler of ice and ride out to the g/f's village in Sa Kaeo so they can cook them.) 

But it really is about the only public park in the area. I see lots of green spaces on the map but most are probably private property or undeveloped lots.

I can't see a "rooftop" garden or "vertical garden" lasting too long. Those kinds of things require regular upkeep and upkeep costs money. Money made from parking will go into someone's pocket, never to be seen again.

I'd guess that most Thais will probably just use the area next to the water and put their mats on the paving stones the same as they do on the walkway beside Pattaya Beach. Maybe they'll improve the access to the rear parking area as well while they are at it. 

Keep in mind too that "550 square meter garden" sounds pretty big but could mean a strip 2 meters wide by 275 meters long, around the base of the car park (and probably planted with trees and bushes, leaving little space for people to sit and eat).
(For reference, in the 2nd image below where the inserted "building" goes from the road to the far edge of the grassy area, the 3 sides of the rectangle not on the road total approx 275 meters, which is a coincidence because I didn't know that when I typed the bit about a "strip 2 meters wide by 275 meters long". Of course that also depends on the actual size of the proposed car park which could be shorter, longer or wider than what it looks like in the pic.)

Would have to see more of the proposal to know for sure of course, but based on the pic in TaaSaparot's post, it appears the car park will be to the far left of the current parking area and not extend as far as the existing parking lot.

If that's the case, the area behind the Clock wouldn't be affected but maybe a third of the "grassy" area where the playground stuff is could disappear. Again, would need to see more of what the "master plan" looks like to be sure though.

I took some Google Maps screen shots and inserted the building on TaaSaparot's post as an idea of what area will be affected. The pic in TaaSaparot's post shows the building starting next to the convenience store on the left, and shows the white brick fence to the right, so the building doesn't appear like it's going to occupy the whole space.

Obviously, nothing is too "scale" in the images below (and I don't have the time or inclination to try and photoshop them more "professionally").

1901894234_LanPho-c.jpg.1bbac80fb8984177d1d73a77a8b080fc.jpg      1802154754_LanPho-d.jpg.c5a9270bdd1aaeca84f880391da4fd61.jpg

So if the building in TaaSaparot's post is just going to occupy that rectangular area on the left side of the park, then maybe a lot of the grassy area will still be there afterwards.

Maybe.

(Yes, I need to get a life !)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do current park going customers walk to Naklua? 

Seems like the logical extension of the success of the high season tourist orientated Naklua Walking Street Festival - how ironic.  All year round access for Chinese tour groups and their buses. The locals and intrepid Central Pattaya occassional tourist picknickers have had their day. 

23 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Parking in that area is a major problem, even early in the morning when the place is just starting to open up (like around 05:30). If you go later in the morning or afternoon, it can take as long to find a place to park as it does to buy your seafood, have it cooked, find a spot in the park to sit and then eat it. I rarely eat down there anymore. I take the scooter, buy my squigglies and take them home. (Or take the big bike, put the squigglies in a cooler of ice and ride out to the g/f's village in Sa Kaeo so they can cook them.) 

But it really is about the only public park in the area. I see lots of green spaces on the map but most are probably private property or undeveloped lots.

I can't see a "rooftop" garden or "vertical garden" lasting too long. Those kinds of things require regular upkeep and upkeep costs money. Money made from parking will go into someone's pocket, never to be seen again.

I'd guess that most Thais will probably just use the area next to the water and put their mats on the paving stones the same as they do on the walkway beside Pattaya Beach. Maybe they'll improve the access to the rear parking area as well while they are at it. 

Keep in mind too that "550 square meter garden" sounds pretty big but could mean a strip 2 meters wide by 275 meters long, around the base of the car park (and probably planted with trees and bushes, leaving little space for people to sit and eat).
(For reference, in the 2nd image below where the inserted "building" goes from the road to the far edge of the grassy area, the 3 sides of the rectangle not on the road total approx 275 meters, which is a coincidence because I didn't know that when I typed the bit about a "strip 2 meters wide by 275 meters long". Of course that also depends on the actual size of the proposed car park which could be shorter, longer or wider than what it looks like in the pic.)

Would have to see more of the proposal to know for sure of course, but based on the pic in TaaSaparot's post, it appears the car park will be to the far left of the current parking area and not extend as far as the existing parking lot.

If that's the case, the area behind the Clock wouldn't be affected but maybe a third of the "grassy" area where the playground stuff is could disappear. Again, would need to see more of what the "master plan" looks like to be sure though.

I took some Google Maps screen shots and inserted the building on TaaSaparot's post as an idea of what area will be affected. The pic in TaaSaparot's post shows the building starting next to the convenience store on the left, and shows the white brick fence to the right, so the building doesn't appear like it's going to occupy the whole space.

Obviously, nothing is too "scale" in the images below (and I don't have the time or inclination to try and photoshop them more "professionally").

1901894234_LanPho-c.jpg.1bbac80fb8984177d1d73a77a8b080fc.jpg      1802154754_LanPho-d.jpg.c5a9270bdd1aaeca84f880391da4fd61.jpg

So if the building in TaaSaparot's post is just going to occupy that rectangular area on the left side of the park, then maybe a lot of the grassy area will still be there afterwards.

Maybe.

(Yes, I need to get a life !)

There is a Soi opposite the park with a large private park which costs 20 baht. Easy to get a park there anytime of the day. Thais will not walk the 100 yards to the park though. They would rather queue up for 15 minutes trying to get a park 10 yards away.

5 hours ago, morrobay said:

There is a large area parking lot in the back, as can be seen in post#10. It would be logical to put the multi level parking structure on that. Leave the park as is. 

That area was built for people to exercise and an area to hold concerts etc.

They did try and use it as a car park a couple of years ago, and within one day they found out the tiles that were used were not up to cars being driven on them, and are still broken today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

They did try and use it as a car park a couple of years ago, and within one day they found out the tiles that were used were not up to cars being driven on them, and are still broken today.

I am well aware of the geography in the area. So again the parking lot in back (just North of the open area you are referring to) can be seen in upper right corner second photo post #10. As well as from the the exercise/viewpoints area over the water. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Yeah, he's referring to the rear parking area behind and to the right of the grassy park. Usually full of the fish market vendor's trucks and the residents of the shantytown to the rear and right of the fish market. Royal pain in the butt to get to that parking area as the only road is that little single lane that zig-zags from the corner of the main parking lot.

Untitled.jpg.dde296ec5fb4ec77bcc62d7f983e2718.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, TaaSaparot said:

yes, I remember  when it was popular with people who wanted to exercise, either walking or running round the perimeter, some Thai youngsters playing football, also some cycling around it.

Should never have allowed cars on it.

Shame about the plans as although not visited there for quite a while, did really used to enjoy spending an hour or 2 there from time to time. Just relaxing, walking or sitting down watching others activity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Latest ..

101840321_3453677801309606_7901113424113210051_n.jpg.6deb946f2879ad1cdb8c436177960c99.jpg

So from that it appears that the "green space" people like to sit and eat on will remain and the parking garage will occupy a small area in the bottom-right. I'm guessing the "239" refers to the projected vehicle capacity of the garage ?

I like how the diagram shows each level to be just above the height of a vehicle. I sure hope that isn't the actual architectural plan ! A ceiling that's like 15 cms higher than your average small SUV crossover ?
Looking closer, it seems they have the floor of each level 2.15 meters about the floor of the level below it ! Holey <deleted> ! Estimate each floor to be at least 15 centimeters thick and that leaves 2 meters of space between the floor and the ceiling on each level !

That can't be right ! C-rap ! Most vans and 3/4s of the SUVs and pickups will get jammed in there the first time they try to drive in !

While they don't show any parking per se in the back lot, they show traffic flow in/out of there and the area is too big have just a single lane of traffic going around so it will be plugged full of vehicles just the same as it is now.

The front lot will probably not have any parking (aside maybe from scooters).
Oh wait, looks like they do have a small scooter area set aside in the garage plan. I usually go to that market early in the morning but even when I've been there in the afternoon there's rarely more than 20 or so scooters in the current "moto" parking area. 

Getting in and out of there is a pain in the keister as it is now. The vendors and moto taxi guys that block that access way to the left of the clock tower will have to find a new location to clutter up if traffic is going to be going in/out of there from the garage.

(I'd say that would be the "out" and the "in" would be on the Jomtien Road side but this is Thailand !)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Looks as though they are demolishing the shrine in the middle of the road?

I believe that is a part of the work they are doing on new sewer drains in the area. There was another thread on here about that project not too long ago. 

But no worries ! They'll get that new pipe/drainage system in and completed just in time for the contractors making the new parking garage to come along and break it when they dig it up to add the drainage pipes from the parking garage.
But don't worry (again), they probably won't do a totally crappy repair job on the road and leave a large pothole. Or a large, uneven bump of crappy cement that barely covers the pipe.
Or a new rectangular asphalt block that is 3/4s the width of the road and 6+ centimetres high and will cause numerous accidents until someone is forced to come back and fix it (again).

I remember when they were doing the underpass "tunnel" and they did some roadwork on Sukhumvit near the Klang intersection.

Just past the intersection in the left lane (heading towards South Pattaya) - frikken huge rectangular metal plate sitting on top of enough asphalt to make a car go airborne if they didn't slow down in time. High enough to make some vehicles ground out if they drove over it.
And that was on the main highway in the lane everyone used so they didn't have to stop at the lights. 

They did the same thing on the lower end of Khao Noi at one time as well. Bluddy plate covered almost 2 lanes (heading towards the railway) and high enough to make everyone slam on the brakes when they saw it and just how high it was.

They eventually had to come back and replace that and make the road more or less level again but it's something they seem to be programmed to do everywhere with little or no consideration to the traffic that'll be going over it.

But again, they'll wait until the current work is complete, then they'll come in and tear it up. That too seems to happen so often you'd think it was actually a credit course at all the universities in the country. 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:49 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Looks as though they are demolishing the shrine in the middle of the road?

IMG_20200615_101814.jpg.0095667173f54526b1181f6e97086a9f.jpgIMG_20200615_101928.jpg.a13caf7bcaaf737620f7ad36d15d7a37.jpgIMG_20200615_102145.jpg.85c5121519f5f62d37d36ccc64dad0a8.jpg

From the front part under to lleft  of shrine then connected to drains in last photo ,then to  outfall on bay. Its going to be a while

• Like 1

Take the baht bus up to Naklua fish market for food, picnic in the park and nice view.

Many of the barbaque stations will now be finished if this goes ahead.

The reason for going has also been removed.

From city council to government level in Thailand, they are experts at ruining their country.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 5:32 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes and a small group of ladies stopped the Waterfront Bali Hai condo project.

This "Park" is just a relatively small patch of grass. The best place I've found to go is Pratamak Hill and Mountain loop

Long way from Naklua

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one.

As it seems from their plans that all that grassy area was going to stay as it is, but there would be more parking available which would be bonus down there.

But maybe some others noticed that their parking garage plan was doomed to fail. What with it's 2 meter spacing between floor and ceiling on each level and all ! :blink:

On 7/3/2020 at 1:41 PM, Kerryd said:

As it seems from their plans that all that grassy area was going to stay as it is, but there would be more parking available which would be bonus down there.

Presuming they can keep the stalls and hawkers off the parking area.... usually a good percentage is acquired. 

• 1 month later...