U.S. moves to cut Huawei off from global chip suppliers as China eyes retaliation

rooster59

now THIS is what I like.......conspiracy.

Oh, let's keep the airports open to the Chinese....

Why?  There's a pandemic coming.

Yea, I know idiot.  But we need to get manufacturing out of china and back to America.  We'll blame the WHO and the Chinese, not us

But we could stop it.

Dude, after wuhanvirus, we can do whatever we want.

Will apple get out of china?

dude, of course

what's the bigger plan?

Chinese GDP negative for years....then we will take all their property in America or buy for super cheap.

ok

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

China does harassment all over the place. I have seen it with my own eyes in Vietnam and Malaysia. They spy on oilfield construction and harass shipping all the time. I was even on a project deep inside Malaysian waters where the Chinese Navy wouldn't stop circling the site causing safety concerns and were on bull horns telling us to leave, which the Malaysian officials actually made us do. They did the same in Vietnam but the Vietnamese have a set of nuts and didn't make us leave at all. 

They are a global, nefarious parasite.

okay, so syria's oil is safe from the chinese?

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

China will have its own independent chip industry within a year.

Wrong, development and coding will be handled by Israel, China may do some manufacturing.

Edited by Heppinger

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

The rhetoric of China being ‘the enemy’ is predictable. To justify a war- based aggressive economy you always need to have enemies to rally against.

This is true though rather for the purpose of advancing technology. There will be no war between America and China as America has the far superior tech.  America will lose it world power status from the inside out by economic means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

What does this have to do with anything..... 

everything and nothing?  what does the south china sea have to do with hauwei?  why are we complaining about the chinese doing things we do as well?

the problem we have with huawei is less about chinese spying, more about protecting our less-developed 5G market, and in my opinion our inability to hack their systems as well as we'd like to use for our own spying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

US does have rare earth deposit. it’s not only mining but processing capabilities and costs. The only rare earth producer in US currently is Mountain Pass and they have to send to China for processing. Then the question of production capacity. The planned operation of Round Top will eventually produce 2,000 tons per year of rare earth magnets, only filling 17% of domestic demand,

it's not as much the cost, we've got tariffs to fix that.  it's more about environmental concerns.  acid baths and radiation treatments needed to separate the tiny fraction of rare earths from the mountain of dirt, resulting in massive amounts of toxic waste.  what to do when we can't ship the toxic slurry..........to china?

california won't like that and will certainly put up a fight.  expect a serious attempt to reopen the mine to high capacity to get stuck in the courts for years.  how long did it take to complete a simple pipeline - keystone phase 4?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

China also holds a vast majority of rare mineral fields that are needed in the high tech industry, including semiconductors. If China stops exporting to US (they call that "nuclear option") US semiconductor output would drop over 80%. US has been trying to source from other markets, but those are ever more reliant on, and turning to, China, which is using its huge dollar reserves to investment into those countries. It's actually a clever play. If you have trillions of dollars, you can't just dump them in the market - value would crash and you'd lose most. If you do it slowly, it takes long and value drops. But - if you use it to give "loans" to others, then ask for repay in something else, it's basically money laundry to get out of USD held debt. US has different ideas - trying to use sanctions and annoyance to wipe its debt to China. Some say COVID is part of the same plan - plant a virus, accuse of coverup, drag feet in implementing prevention to cause massive damage, sanction and demand compensation in the amount of debt held. This theory is from Hong Kong. Let's see if US does sanction China and demands it repays damage at around the amount of US debt...

I smell tin foil 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

US does have rare earth deposit. it’s not only mining but processing capabilities and costs. The only rare earth producer in US currently is Mountain Pass and they have to send to China for processing. Then the question of production capacity. The planned operation of Round Top will eventually produce 2,000 tons per year of rare earth magnets, only filling 17% of domestic demand,

All those old mines have value , how China walked into Afganistan??? To get that mine 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

China have managed to do the rarest of things, they've enraged the entire world in the space of just a few months.

This is an amazing achievement which has never been accomplished in such a short period of time by any country before.

The backlash on this is going to be like nothing we've ever seen before.

The Thais are about ready to invite them back as tourists.

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

China does harassment all over the place. I have seen it with my own eyes in Vietnam and Malaysia. They spy on oilfield construction and harass shipping all the time. I was even on a project deep inside Malaysian waters where the Chinese Navy wouldn't stop circling the site causing safety concerns and were on bull horns telling us to leave, which the Malaysian officials actually made us do. They did the same in Vietnam but the Vietnamese have a set of nuts and didn't make us leave at all. 

They are a global, nefarious parasite.

Unfortunately, most if not all global superpowers start acting that way when their influence increases. That's how the control the smaller nations. While Russia mostly faded away after dissolution of Soviet Union, Europe never became one, you now have a clash of 2 titans - USA and China. For now, it's economic (and possibly bioweapons) war. But if this doesn't get resolved, it may turn to a classic war.

It's not like we weren't there before. British and Chinese... Opium wars?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

so it goes like this.....

intel and samsung and others can make chips, lots of chips, and sell to china.  china can use zillions of them in the huawei and oppo and xiaomi cellphones they make.  they can install them in their 5G base stations.  if the nsa likes their backdoors, they can keep their backdoors!  western tech firms make billions in profit, and the trade deficit is that much smaller.

winning!

or we can ban their sales to china.  china will find other vendors or begin to produce their own chips.  will they steal the technology?  why not, if we won't sell to them.  (and even if we do, right?)  so intel and samsung and others lose those sales.  the trade deficit is that much bigglyer. 

china can advertise "100% guaranteed nsa-backdoor-free" 5G tech, something ms. merkel would surely appreciate.  they'll still undercut western cellphone prices, will still retain market share, only now without western chips.  next we can ban use of android in their phones, and china will develop their own operating system and create their own "ecosystem" using their own talent and the unemployed HB-1 coders that trump wants to send back to india.  with the yuuuuuge market share huawei already has, google/android will lose out bigly.

winning?

i'll bet trump's next chess move will be banning sales of gmo soybeans to the chinese.

China have started producing their own chips. It has many new semiconductor projects running currently. Even during the lockdown at Wuhan, special exemption was given to HSR trains to stop at Wuhan to unload passengers that are involved in a semiconductor factory there. Work at this Wuhan factory continued throughout the lockdown period. This Wuhan factory is making advanced flash memory chips to compete with Samsung.

Huawei's chip division, Hisilicon, have ordered their mid-range Kirin chips to be made at SMIC (local Chinese foundry) a few months ago. Potentially, only high end Kirin chips might be affected if semiconductor foundries outside mainland China refused to make chips for Huawei anymore. The chips used in 5G Huawei equipment are not high-end ones. Only high-end chips are used in their top of the line smartphones. SMIC was supposed to make the higher end chips too but Trump had managed to convince the Dutch government to ban the export of high-end chipmaking equipment to China. I wouldn't be surprised if China decides to go into making their own chipmaking equipment as well. And this determination to become self-reliant means bad news for semiconductor and chipmaking equipment manufacturers outside China because China is a huge chip importer. 

• Like 2