U.S. moves to cut Huawei off from global chip suppliers as China eyes retaliation

rooster59

On 5/16/2020 at 8:27 AM, grumbleweed said:

How to screw American business and impress people 101. 

Obviously the Chinese will not have seen this coming and I'm sure this will inspire faith in any company considering doing business with US companies. The USA hegemony is all but dead and Vlad the lad's mission accomplished,

God bless China, don't interfere with foreign governments, tap their leaders phones, and try to keep wars down to a minimum, and we'll get along fine. You're the change the world has been waiting for.

So you believe the world has been waiting for a communist totalitarian racist intolerant regime, that allows no dissent, no opposition, little individuality, and ruthlessly cracks down on any who dare to challenge it?

I don't want to live in your world!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR Holland is in mainland Europe, is part of the EU and has its own Royal Family, Prime Minister and government.

It certainly NOT a part of the USA and therefore is nothing to do with Trump or any US politicians, and if I were the PM of Holland I would politely suggest that Trump places his "order" far up where orifice where the sun doesn't shine.

Trump relies on bullying his allies. The leader of the gang mentality.

He's taken that approach before and will take it again.

Ultimately, despite all the huffing and puffing the EU, with or without the UK, still relies on US protection. 

18 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

they are usually invited by the host country or are operating in international waters. 

The Phillipines, China, Columbia, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Syria, Ethiopia, Panama, Cuba, Nicaragua, Havana, Turkey, Mexico, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Laos, Cambodia, Pakistan, Iran, Grenada, Libya, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Tanzania, Afghanistan, Sudan, East Timor, Yemen, Mali and many more countries protest you claim.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So you believe the world has been waiting for a communist totalitarian racist intolerant regime, that allows no dissent, no opposition, little individuality, and ruthlessly cracks down on any who dare to challenge it?

I don't want to live in your world!

At least they allow their citizens to eat live baby mice at restaurants an essential privilege many governments deny. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gearbox said:

China absolutely has the capabilities to produce electronics for military use.

Can't remember saying they didn't have the capabilities to produce electronics for military use.

4 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

So, when is Trump banning the rest of junk at Walmart which 99% comes from China?

When Trump stop buying his red ‘made in China’ tie and Ivanka stop buying sausage casing from China. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

So, when is Trump banning the rest of junk at Walmart which 99% comes from China?

First we will need to select another country and have a communist revolution in that country. Remove (starve to death) anyone that is literate or apposed to s**t tins of pollution then all we need to do is hold their hand, for the next.... fore ever, while we tell them how to build the factories that makes the stuff we want.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, franzs said:

yea sure, that's the brain wash the US is doing since decades, 

the US is also a master stealing intellectual property and military secrets world wide, wake up....

the days the US as world leader are gone..... 

especially with a leader like Trump

Keep dreaming ahole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:
On 5/16/2020 at 1:25 PM, fruitman said:

Chinese also stole a lot of info from ASML , the world's largest chipmaker....in Holland. Now Trump ordered holland to not sell the chinese the latest computer chips...

https://www.ed.nl/asml/diefstal-asml-kennis-begon-met-twee-slimme-chinezen~ab8f8d84/?referrer=https://duckduckgo.com/

AFAIR Holland is in mainland Europe, is part of the EU and has its own Royal Family, Prime Minister and government.

It certainly NOT a part of the USA and therefore is nothing to do with Trump or any US politicians, and if I were the PM of Holland I would politely suggest that Trump places his "order" far up where orifice where the sun doesn't shine.

Trump forbid ASML and ASMI (world's leading chipmaking machine developers) to sell to China.

Now which part of that you can't understand?

And yes it's in holland EU, keng maak maak!

Holland would get repercussions frm the USA if they don't listen....(read less business)

Edited by fruitman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Trump forbid ASML and ASMI (world's leading chipmaking machine developers) to sell to China.

Holland would get repercussions frm the USA if they don't listen....(read less business)

Wouldn't matter to much as neither company produces high grade military IC's not that China would know what to do with one anyway,

Just now, Heppinger said:
11 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Wouldn't matter to much as neither company produces high grade military IC's not that China would know what to do with one anyway,

They make the newest chipmaking machines, the ones which can produce the smallest and best computer chips.

With those chips china can make better phones than the US....no need to say these machines are in high demand...

• Like 1

Just now, fruitman said:

They make the newest chipmaking machines, the ones which can produce the smallest and best computer chips.

With those chips china can make better phones than the US....no need to say these machines are in high demand...

Can these phones then run the weapons and navigation systems of a gen 5 attack fighter jet?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

They make the newest chipmaking machines, 

Do you have a source for this? As i thought they lacked manufacturing equipment.

China lacks internal sources for basic device IP, electronic design automation (EDA) tools, and semiconductor manufacturing equipment

https://www.eetimes.com/countdown-how-close-is-china-to-40-chip-self-sufficiency/#

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

MAte if you don't know what or who ASML is and does you have a problem.

And i can totally understand why Trump ordered ASML to not sell their newest machines to china....they already tried to steal their data which was in the papers...and i posted a link to it as well. Those machines are very hot, they decide who can make the best phones and all other equipment using chips.

Any more of those childish replies or will you start googling for ASML Eindhoven now?

You replied again.

I don't need to Google that because the fact is China this:

China lacks internal sources for basic device IP, electronic design automation (EDA) tools, and semiconductor manufacturing equipment

15 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

You replied again.

I don't need to Google that because the fact is China this:

The fact is you are underestimating China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Heppinger said:

Are the chips developed and coded in China or only manufactured?

Huawei is just like Qualcomm and Apple. All 3 of them design their own chips but the actual manufacturing is outsourced to foundries such as Taiwan's TSMC and South Korea's Samsung.

Only Intel and Samsung both design and manufacture their own chips.

Edited by Selatan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hmm, I have personal take on this.

As much as I despise Trump, someone needed to put their foot down on China.

After they joined the WTO I think most countries thought they would reform, far from it.

In 2002 I was working for a major US semiconductor equipment manufacturer and the head of our China operation in Shanghai.

At 7:59am on Monday April 1st 2002 our offices were raided by police, all our computers and documents seized. I along with several of my staff were detained.

I sat in detention for 3 days since I refused to give the password for our intranet. The only reason I was released was after that amount of time they knew all my passwords and access would have been changed. 

Yeah, if thats just the world that some on TVF want, Good Luck!

I see that your company was among the first to invest in China after China joined the WTO on 11 Dec 2001 and allowed foreign investment. Quite remarkable that your company was able to set up the infrastructure and began operation in just a few months. Assuming your company did overcome the difficulties, it will be quite understandable that there will be adjustment and challenges in this early stage of policy change. Investment in any foreign country will mean that you have to comply with their laws and regulation. Right? There must be good reasons why your company took much risks to invest in China at such an early stage and profit from it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

I understand it all right. But what right has the USA, (actually Trump) to ASML and ASMI (world's leading chipmaking machine developers) to sell to China?

It is long past the time that the rest of the world started slapping sanctions on the USA. Since Trump became POTUS the USA is no longer the worlds policeman nor the leader of the free world.

The damage that Trump has done to the world and the USA will take decades (if ever) to mend and repair.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I understand it all right. But what right has the USA, (actually Trump) to ASML and ASMI (world's leading chipmaking machine developers) to sell to China?

It is long past the time that the rest of the world started slapping sanctions on the USA. Since Trump became POTUS the USA is no longer the worlds policeman nor the leader of the free world.

The damage that Trump has done to the world and the USA will take decades (if ever) to mend and repair.

What right the USA has? You better ask Trump, how should i know? The americans just do it....MAGA i guess. Trump also tells Holland to invest more in their army, he keeps on pushing....but he's right in that since Holland is happy to let the US do the dirty work...

But also in Europe there's a trend of banning the Chinese goods now...it's getting stronger every day.

• Like 1