Sweden - is the rest of the world dumb, blind or worse ?

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Isn't solitary confinement illegal for prisoners

in some countries?

“We’ve seen a year’s worth of suicide attempts in the

last four weeks,” Dr Mike deBoisblanc, lead trauma

surgeon at the John Muir Medical Center in Walnut

Creek, California, told local media on Thursday,

confirming the center had seen more deaths from

suicide over the two-month lockdown period than

deaths from coronavirus.

Yes and here is the link from May22: https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-coronavirus-rates-during-pandemic-death-by/6201962/

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

No, Spain, Italy, UK, Belgium, Russia all of these countries will hurt for a much longer period than Sweden.

I missed Russia, that is correct. I certainly don't believe that the other countries will hurt longer, probably shorter as they have the spread under control. 

Sweden has backtracked you know, they now say that herd immunity never even was a goal

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

I like Tegnell as well, he is a hero because he stood up against a majority and stood firm and he has prevailed.

He doesn't agree with everything. Being an epidemiologist, he wanted masks for all healthcare and response personnel regardless of where they work for instance. He wasn't the one saying that wasn't necessary. He didn't agree with that covid nurses could work in short sleeves if they had mask and visor either. Those were political decisions because no one would have cared for the covid sick otherwise. There's still not enough PPE for nurses. 

He's a very nice guy, let's agree on that ????

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

While its fine to debate current models in their infancy stages the proof this provides is that there has been a complete lack of coordination worldwide on this and that is the reason the world is in this mess. 

Much the same as a development of a vaccine, the initial trials in Phase 1 and 2 can provide very positive evidence of the potential. Its the trials in Phase 3 and 4 which are the ones that truly will provide all the necessary evidence.

The crucial matter is to have that evidence so that a worldwide action plan can then be implemented when the next pandemic occurs in the not too distant future and takes into account best practice for all countries regardless of their development and resources available to cope.

I think the world-wide coordination is a nice fantasy, but that is all it will ever be, we have seen with this virus that each country will make its own rules. Not just each country, within each country all the states and provinces will make their own rules. This is what's so infuriating, they can't all be right. Some have to be wrong. 

What we do know is that basing your policy on the work of Imperial College's Neil Ferguson's  would be a terrible mistake, and Sweden was very lucky that it did not do so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

The Swedish health authorities are now backtracking and say that herd immunity was never their goal

It's not the health authorities, it is again a political drive, because it started with the foreign minister of Sweden claiming in a US interview that the Swedes were not pursuing herd immunity, when Tegnell had clearly implied this in his own interviews.

So yes, there is certainly backtracking now, but it is a political backtracking. Because the Swedish foreign minister was too embarasssed to say on US tv that 'yes we are hoping for herd immunity', she put a different diplomatic spin on it to avoid Sweden looking like a heartless science monster. We saw the exact same thing in the UK with the UK swiftly backtracking politically when their scientists disclosed they were hoping for herd immunity.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Even Anders Tegnell has now said he is not convinced Sweden's policy is correct, and that he is surprised by the high death toll.

Indeed:

The scientist behind Sweden's controversial coronavirus plan says he is still not sure whether the country made the right decision by not implementing a lockdown.

"I'm not convinced at all," Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, told the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet on Friday, adding that the country's Public Health Agency — where he works — was constantly monitoring the situation.

"We are constantly thinking about this … What can we do better and what else can we add on?" he said, according to The Independent.

"I think the most important thing all the time is to try to do it as well as you can, with the knowledge we have and the tools you have in place. And to be humble all the time because you may have to change." 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-no-lockdown-anders-tegnell-not-convinced-right-call-2020-5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

It's not the health authorities, it is again a political drive, because it started with the foreign minister of Sweden claiming in a US interview that the Swedes were not pursuing herd immunity, when Tegnell had clearly implied this in his own interviews.

I have listened to Anders Tegnell's interviews in Swedish almost every day. He said "will eventually lead to herd immunity". I don't know how to explain it, his eventually was a bit quiet sort of. He certainly wasn't pushing the word. I think this matches that he is an honest person. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, he is honest and willing to change course when it turns out that the factual results are not supporting Sweden's chosen strategy.  

This does not mean that Sweden's strategy is wrong, but only that they are open-minded enough to evaluate the situation and correct where that seems appropriate.

If only other countries would have a scientific frame of mind like that, instead of the often politically dictated agendas we see.

Hang on. The Swedish health authorities don't decide how Sweden's strategy should look, they provide advice and model data and politicians decide. 

The Swedish politicians decision would have been the opposite if this virus had targeted the productive instead of the non productive. 

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't know abut that - lots of "serious" and well-respected publications are casting doubt on the success of Sweden's policy. Among them are the Financial Times, Forbes Magazine and Business Insider.

Has Sweden's coronavirus gamble paid off?

Sweden's per capita death rate among the highest

Sweden’s death toll unnerves its Nordic neighbours

As for doing better economically, even Sweden's own central bank doesn't think so.

Swedish economy to contract as severely as the rest of Europe

Of course there's plenty of animosity towards Sweden, mainly from the anglo-saxon press. That's because Sweden doing the opposite of the UK is basically taken in the UK as "you're saying we're total idiots and we got it wrong", plus of course they resent the fact that Swedes going on with their lives a bit more normally makes the British look like the scared rabbits they are. So this brings up some real vitriol from the British press.

In the US, Trump had a little repeated spat with Sweden many times over, so many of his acolytes don't like Sweden, just as Trump doesn't like them.

None of these articles mean anything. What matters is this, Sweden has had 0.039 per cent of its population die, Sweden has avoided the horrendous death toll people like Neil Ferguson had falsely predicted and Sweden is okay. Indeed Sweden would be okay if its death rate doubled or tripled, because it is miniscule right now.

Yes, of course by making per capita comparisons of course you make Sweden look worse, because it's a small country the per capita figures are skewed against it, obviously larger population countries will look better. However this does not change the fact that only 0.039 per cent of Sweden's population died.

That's a miniscule number by any stretch of the imagination.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I can't help feeling that the only meaningful number is the 'deaths per million of population'.

In that respect Sweden stands at 396 with only 4 major countries (Belgium 801, Italy 613, Spain 541, and UK 541 ) higher.

The problem is if you simply relativize the death figures on a per capita or population basis, you are actually distorting the figures a bit because such comparisons will always favour countries with big populations and make countries with smaller populations look worse.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

Indeed Scottish people are almost intimidatingly smart. How such a small nation contributed so much to scientific knowledge, economic knowledge, literature and poetry is almost unexplainable. Unfortunately German philosophy is still a little better, but as we all know I'm not one to boast needlessly.

As for whether Sweden has been a success or not, on the current evidence it is clear, 0.039 percent of the population has passed, economically they were sensible, so yes the Swedish model has to be a success, on current evidence. If that evidence changes in the future, we shall see. But even if Sweden's mortality were to double or triple, Sweden is fine.

I'm not bombastic. I'm just clear. Being German is to be clear.

Clearly. 

• Haha 1

chart, which gives deaths per million, since many people insist on this measure

That chart ends on May 11th and Sweden has seen some of the greatest falls in new cases very recently.

Anyway, look at this chart, which gives deaths per million, since many people insist on this measure, though clearly it does favour countries with very large populations. Even taking this measure, Sweden is not doing so bad:

Sweden total deaths per million.png

Belgium only has one more million people than Sweden - no favours there!

Setting aside the comparison of the number of deaths due to the common flu with the number due to Covid-19, what can be said about the argument that restrictions and requirements were imposed specifically for the Covid-19 pandemic in order to avoid an overload or total collapse of a country's health care system?

8 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Problem 1 with the anti Sweden crowd is most of you have drastically changed your argument. You argument went from "the country will have hundreds of thousands dead"  

I think you are putting words in people's mouths....... I suspect that is your own vastly exaggerated number.

396 deaths per million population is nothing to crow about.

• Like 1