BANGKOK
Bender Rodriguez

Sweden - is the rest of the world dumb, blind or worse ?

12 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Happening now all over the place in the US. I suppose the end of the world is near, right? 

DA29DCCC-6348-409C-B009-948BFAAAE63E.jpeg

Nah... those losers will crawl back under their rocks soon enough.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Happening now all over the place in the US. I suppose the end of the world is near, right? 

I think you're on the wrong thread 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coronavirus: Norway wonders if it should have been more like Sweden

Coronavirus: Norway wonders if it should have been more like Sweden

Cost of lockdown sees prime minister raise questions about strategy

On Wednesday night, Norway's prime minister Erna Solberg went on Norwegian television to make a startling admission: she had panicked. Some, even most, of the tough measures imposed in Norway's lockdown now looked like steps too far. "Was it necessary to close schools?" she mused. "Perhaps not."

It was a preemptive step only a leader with Solberg's folksy, down-to-earth style could get away with. "I probably took many of the decisions out of fear," she admitted, reminding viewers of the terrifying images then flooding their screens from Italy.

She is not the first in Norway to conclude that closing schools and kindergartens, making everyone work from home, or limiting gatherings to a maximum of five people might have been excessive....

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/30/coronavirus-norway-wonders-should-have-like-sweden/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:01 PM, utalkin2me said:

I was just getting used to the C19 malarky. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Can you point me in the direction of these people that have projected their misery.

The millions that are having their lives ruined by lockdowns.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/1/2020 at 8:14 AM, Crazy Alex said:

Nah... those losers will crawl back under their rocks soon enough.

It's time to reinstate National Service, and make it compulsory for all 18 to 20 year olds.

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, simple1 said:

As i recall you live in a small town in NZ so likely minimal risk. However, did you ignore the advisories from government which successfully mitigated the spread of Covid in NZ, what did the locals say who disagreed with your actions?

Where I live there never was a risk, but I would think the same wherever I lived.

The one thing that did stop the spread was closing the border and quarantine for arrivals.

I don't know anyone that thinks lockdown for everyone is a good idea.

They do agree that isolating those actually at risk of dying and instituting social distancing etc is a good idea.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where I live there never was a risk, but I would think the same wherever I lived.

The one thing that did stop the spread was closing the border and quarantine for arrivals <SNIP>

Lol - contradictory statements

The USA had a work force of 160,000,000 before the virus. There are now 42,000,000 on unemployment. So there are still 118,000,000 still working.  Why not let the other 42,000,000 work?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On Wednesday night, Norway's prime minister Erna Solberg went on Norwegian television to make a startling admission: she had panicked. Some, even most, of the tough measures imposed in Norway's lockdown now looked like steps too far. "Was it necessary to close schools?" she mused. "Perhaps not."

It was a preemptive step only a leader with Solberg's folksy, down-to-earth style could get away with. "I probably took many of the decisions out of fear," she admitted, reminding viewers of the terrifying images then flooding their screens from Italy.

She is not the first in Norway to conclude that closing schools and kindergartens, making everyone work from home, or limiting gatherings to a maximum of five people might have been excessive....

What an interesting article. So Norway admits it overreacted and should have taken a page out of Sweden's book. Well done Ms Solberg, at least you have the honesty and decency to admit this.

Most people will eventually see that their governments overreacted. The UK went absolutely bananas.  But even in Germany we had great overreactions. All out of fear.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Herd Immunity is still a long way off but while tracking the statistics for this, the good news for us all is that the more evidence we have of a higher rate of population infection then the more evidence we can gain on the actual true death rates. The CDC has  now published its revised estimates along with other bodies and all seem to agree that a figure of around 1% or lower seems to be the current estimate, much higher than the flu but nowhere near as bad as the WHO's suggestion of around 3%. 

The diagram below gives the figures for a few cities around the world. But for taking estimates of country population figures then studies show that France has 4.4% of its population with an infection rate. Spain also has just 5% of its population infected showing immunity.

With Sweden showing a 7.3% population infection rate in Stockholm, the figure will be less of course when the whole country is taken into account and could get down to the 4 or 5% similar to Spain and France.

There are will no doubts be arguments for or against these studies one such of course would be one poster who argue that Iceland's figures of 0.8% infection rate should be used as a model to prove that this is the figure for the whole world. Well if that were to be true than I can safely say without the need for any study that herd immunity will not happen in our lifetime.

I have not linked to the above studies purely because if you are interested enough then you can easily find them on Google. I would also just point out that you will always find a study that suits your bias but 99% of COVID studies are currently non peer reviewed because there are so many, so the term follow the science cannot be applied until they are. Only once they have been tested and appropriate critical thinking carried out by other experts can they then be accepted.

The_World_Is_Still_Far_From_Herd_Immunity_for_Coronavirus_The_New_York_Times.png