Visa Options - Non-Immigrant O-A expires soon

My Non-Immigrant O-A extension based on retirement expires 10 July.

This year will be the 1st time in 13 years that I will not be able to qualify for the extension due to the strict financial requirements in place at the moment. So I'm looking for some options on what to do.

I am aware of the no questions asked 60-day Family Visa which I can secure at my local Immigration Office the day my visa expires. If there is still no International travel come late June/early July then that may be the best and only option temporarily. Is that something that is available once per year (just for my own curiosity)?

I'm also looking into the Non-Immigrant Visa "O" (Thai Family) issued at the Royal Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86346-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(Thai-Family).html

How does that work? Once issued, would I have to make a border run every 90-days? Are most people successful in obtaining the visa? I always have all documents in order so I will be prepared.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone has to offer.

If married to or the legal parent of a Thai you could apply for a one year extension. Only 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income is required.

You could apply for the 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife or child.

No sure you would be able get a multiple entry non-o visa at embassy in Phnom Penh. Most people get them at the consulates in Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the day it is issued. You have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry or you could apply for a 60 day extension for each entry.

• Like 1

As above the 60 day would require spouse to be with you and is available one time per entry (you could use a 90 day visa entry and then 60 extension and then 90 day visa entry etc).

As you know conditions after July are an unknown currently but if a return to normal Savannakhet and HCMC are the normal go to places if unable to extend using 400k or income.  Multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year of use for up to 90 day stays.  Check current conditions at the time as we do not know if they will be the same as before or not.  But normally there is at least one place available for such visas (assuming you can return to Thailand anytime soon).  

Are you married to a thai national or do you have thai dependant children?

If so there are many options for you.

If not, there are still options left.

Note: I will respond on your query once the above has been clarified by you.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If married to or the legal parent of a Thai you could apply for a one year extension. Only 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income is required.

You could apply for the 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife or child.

No sure you would be able get a multiple entry non-o visa at embassy in Phnom Penh. Most people get them at the consulates in Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the day it is issued. You have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry or you could apply for a 60 day extension for each entry.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As above the 60 day would require spouse to be with you and is available one time per entry (you could use a 90 day visa entry and then 60 extension and then 90 day visa entry etc).

As you know conditions after July are an unknown currently but if a return to normal Savannakhet and HCMC are the normal go to places if unable to extend using 400k or income.  Multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year of use for up to 90 day stays.  Check current conditions at the time as we do not know if they will be the same as before or not.  But normally there is at least one place available for such visas (assuming you can return to Thailand anytime soon).  

Thank you very much for the quick responses, guys.

ubonjoe, does the 40K per month have to be from a particular source? Any rules on that? That's 12 months proof I assume? They refer to both single-entry and multiple-entry visas at the Phnom Penh Embassy; the later of which requires proof of 400K.  O.K. so you recommend the consulates in Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City over Phnom Penh. Well noted, thanks.

lopburi3 it's not clear to me what you mean when you say "(you could use a 90 day visa entry and then 60 extension and then 90 day visa entry etc)."  You mean instead of getting the 60-day Family visa at Immigration, leave the country and come back on a Family visa a ubonjoe pointed out? (Family visa 90-days, then 60-day extension)? I thought you have to leave after 90-days and do a border run. Do you mean to say that I could get the Family visa at  Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City and then instead of making a border run after 90-days to get a 60-day extension? Are you saying the validity is only 90-days and not one year (having to leave every 90-days). I'm not clear on that. Or is that a "multi-entry visa which is difficult to get?

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, elektrified said:

lopburi3 it's not clear to me what you mean when you say "(you could use a 90 day visa entry and then 60 extension and then 90 day visa entry etc)." 

The non immigrant O multi entry allows unlimited entries of up to 90 days for a one year period - you just exit and return for a new 90 day stay so total time almost 15 months before a new visa is required.

If you do not want to exit country/return at end of any 90 day stay you can visit immigration with spouse to obtain 60 day extension of stay.  You can only get one 60 day extension per 90 day entry so at end of 150 days you would have to exit/return again for a new 90 day stay (and could repeat the 60 day extension if you want).

The multi entry visa has not been difficult to get at suggested locations (but we do not know the future).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, elektrified said:

ubonjoe, does the 40K per month have to be from a particular source? Any rules on that? That's 12 months proof I assume?

Unless you can get proof of your income from your embassy you need to show 12 months of transfers from abroad that are at least 40k baht.

9 minutes ago, elektrified said:

O.K. so you recommend the consulates in Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City over Phnom Penh. Well noted, thanks.

They do not ask for financial proof at those consulates and issue them without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I presume you are married to a thai national or have a thai dependant child.

In that case you can - once the borders are open again - apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa at the thai consulate in Savannakhet or HoChiMinh City.

That Visa can provide you with 17 months IO-hassle free stay in Thailand (but you would have to leave the country every 90 days or alternatively apply for a 60-day extension at your local IO).

I PM-ed you a compilation of recent reports providing the requirements as well as practical details on how to apply for that Visa at the Savannakhet or HCMC consulates.

• Thanks 1

Basically 2 options.

1. Apply for a Non O multi entry Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

The Non O allows a 90 day entry, which can be extended by a further 60 days.

If used to it's potential, you can stay for up to almost 17 months with only 3 border runs, before obtaining a new Visa.

2. You can extend your current permission of stay for 1 year at your local Immigration office based on Marriage/Child Thai dependant. The financial requirement is 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, (once your extension is approved you can withdraw the 400K), OR 12 x 40K monthly overseas transfers, OR dependant on nationality, an Income letter from your Embassy in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you married to a thai national or do you have thai dependant children?

If so there are many options for you.

If not, there are still options left.

Note: I will respond on your query once the above has been clarified by you.

Hi Peter, yes married and have children. Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The non immigrant O multi entry allows unlimited entries of up to 90 days for a one year period - you just exit and return for a new 90 day stay so total time almost 15 months before a new visa is required.

If you do not want to exit country/return at end of any 90 day stay you can visit immigration with spouse to obtain 60 day extension of stay.  You can only get one 60 day extension per 90 day entry so at end of 150 days you would have to exit/return again for a new 90 day stay (and could repeat the 60 day extension if you want).

The multi entry visa has not been difficult to get at suggested locations (but we do not know the future).

Thanks lop, understood. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I presume you are married to a thai national or have a thai dependant child.

In that case you can - once the borders are open again - apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa at the thai consulate in Savannakhet or HoChiMinh City.

That Visa can provide you with 17 months IO-hassle free stay in Thailand (but you would have to leave the country every 90 days or alternatively apply for a 60-day extension at your local IO).

I PM-ed you a compilation of recent reports providing the requirements as well as practical details on how to apply for that Visa at the Savannakhet or HCMC consulates.

Many thanks for your help  Peter!

• Like 1

I just read in the "Non O Savvanahket" thread that visa extensions have been extended until 31 July. And then I read that there is talk of all "permissions to stay" being extended until the end of the year. Since my visa/extension is up on 10 July, this caught my attention. Is there any factual truth to this and if so when will we get some further news? Obviously I'm thinking of how I would get to Laos or Vietnam by the first week of July with the borders closed and such.

Also if this is the case (31 July), then do I not need to worry at the moment about that 10 July visa expiration date? Also, I guess I still have that safeguard available of the 60-day visa to visit family issued at the Immigration office to get me another 60 days. It's all a bit confusing at the moment.... But let's say that is a fact about the 31 July date and on that day or before, go to C.M. Immigration to get the 60-day family visa and then not worry about going to Vietnam or Laos until September (if even possible then)?

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, elektrified said:

I just read in the "Non O Savvanahket" thread that visa extensions have been extended until 31 July. And then I read that there is talk of all "permissions to stay" being extended until the end of the year. Since my visa/extension is up on 10 July, this caught my attention. Is there any factual truth to this and if so when will we get some further news? Obviously I'm thinking of how I would get to Laos or Vietnam by the first week of July with the borders closed and such.

Also if this is the case (31 July), then do I not need to worry at the moment about that 10 July visa expiration date? Also, I guess I still have that safeguard available of the 60-day visa to visit family issued at the Immigration office to get me another 60 days. It's all a bit confusing at the moment.... But let's say that is a fact about the 31 July date and on that day or before, go to C.M. Immigration to get the 60-day family visa and then not worry about going to Vietnam or Laos until September (if even possible then)?

Yes, all permissions to stay have been extended till 31 July, and any overstay fines or bans to re-enter will be waved. 

However, if you are on a 1-year extension of stay from your Non Imm O or O-A Visa, you will almost surely have your next 1-year extension denied when the permission to stay date of your Non Imm O - O-A Visa did expire without you having applied for an extension at your local IO.  And that will force you to leave Thailand, and start all over from scratch again.

Normally that would not be a problem if you intended to apply for the 1-year Non Imm O - marriage Visa in Savannakhet.  But even though the borders might be open again, it's possible that there would be 14-days quarantaine periods imposed when crossing the border, or that a Covid-19 insurance would be required to do so. 

So in order to avoid being subject to such measures, it would be wise to apply for the 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife at your local IO before your July 10 permission to stay expires.  That will give you a new permission to stay till 8 September, and by then the borders will hopefully have re-opened again without any additional measures you need to comply with.

If it turns out that this is not the case, you could then opt to apply at your local IO for a 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of marriage.  When doing so the thai IO-approved health-insurance is not required, and also the financials to be proven are way lower than applying for the 1-year extension of your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate to hijack any thread but this is the closest one that I have found that applies to my situation

For the last 14 years I have been "wintering" in Thailand for a little less than 6 months a year (Nov-May) obtaining an O-A Non Immigrant Visa every other year.   With the O-A it was easy to obtain two years out of the Visa.  I have Blue Cross/ Blue Shield FEP, so all hospitalizations over the years here have been covered

No wife, no children, and the cheapest policy I am eligible for due to my age is the LMG one for 11,400 THB per year

What are my options since I cannot obtain an "O" based upon retirement in the US ? 

(With the border closings I cannot even avail myself of the Vietnam or Laos option before I leave this June) 

10 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

(With the border closings I cannot even avail myself of the Vietnam or Laos option before I leave this June) 

But you might be able to on the way back (if that is even possible this year).  Or perhaps a multi tourist visa would better fit (they may be more understanding of such use for six month stays)?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I have Blue Cross/ Blue Shield FEP, so all hospitalizations over the years here have been covered

You could try to get them to complete the certification form while in the states so that you could apply for a new OA visa while there.

17 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

What are my options since I cannot obtain an "O" based upon retirement in the US ? 

You could enter visa exempt or with a single entry tourist visa and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income to apply for it or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

• Like 2

What are my options?  My retirement extension from a Non-OA visa expires on Aug. 9, 2020.  Initially my plans were to leave Thailand and return on a visa exempt entry, subsequently follow by extensions and apply at local IO for a one year Non-O based on retirement.  My financials are all in order.

If I can not leave the country and I can not apply for a 60 day family extension to visit my Thai wife since she is currently stuck in the U.S. with very slim chances to return withing the next three months unless the Thai government open up the airports.

Your suggestions would be welcomed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I hate to hijack any thread but this is the closest one that I have found that applies to my situation

For the last 14 years I have been "wintering" in Thailand for a little less than 6 months a year (Nov-May) obtaining an O-A Non Immigrant Visa every other year.   With the O-A it was easy to obtain two years out of the Visa.  I have Blue Cross/ Blue Shield FEP, so all hospitalizations over the years here have been covered

No wife, no children, and the cheapest policy I am eligible for due to my age is the LMG one for 11,400 THB per year

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which does not require the #$%^& health-insurance scam.

However, switching to another type Visa is not possible without exiting the country (in order to 'kill' the present permission to stay of your Non Imm O-A Visa), and with the borders closed that is no option now.  Also awaiting the opening of the borders (no overstay consequences because of the amnesty) is a bit tricky, as there might be quarantaine periods or covid-19 insurance measures applied once the borders are open again.

So it looks like applying for a 1-year extension of your Non Imm O - retirement Visa once your permission to stay is due for renewal is your best available option (and that implies biting the LMG insurance bullet).

5 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

Thai wife since she is currently stuck in the U.S. with very slim chances to return withing the next three months unless the Thai government open up the airports.

She can return - about 300 Thai return every day - but she has to arrange it through the Thai Consulate, pay the full fare, obtain paperwork and wait for queue opening.  Yes she will have to also spend 2 weeks in government run quarantine upon arrival.

You can leave Thailand to return to USA anytime - flights are leaving to Europe every day and onward flights are available.  When you might be able to return is the question.

Before July 31 there should be further information available as until then all have automatic extensions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

What are my options?  My retirement extension from a Non-OA visa expires on Aug. 9, 2020.  Initially my plans were to leave Thailand and return on a visa exempt entry, subsequently follow by extensions and apply at local IO for a one year Non-O based on retirement.  My financials are all in order.

Hard to predict now but there is a chance you will be able to leave and re-enter by August. If not they might extend the amnesty that ends on July 31st.

10 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

If I can not leave the country and I can not apply for a 60 day family extension to visit my Thai wife since she is currently stuck in the U.S. with very slim chances to return withing the next three months unless the Thai government open up the airports.

Immigration might wave the requirement for your wife to be with you to apply for 60 day extension to visit her with proof she is stuck outside the country.

They have already arranged sp,e repatriation flights for Thais. She should contact the Thai embassy about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

For the last 14 years I have been "wintering" in Thailand for a little less than 6 months a year (Nov-May) obtaining an O-A Non Immigrant Visa every other year.  

When you are staying less than 6 months a year in Thailand, you could consider applying for a MultipleEntry Tourist Visa.

Such a Visa is valid for 6 months from issuance, and allows you to stay periods of 2 months in Thailand after which you need to do a border-run or apply for a 1 month extension at a local IO.

When timed right you can squeeze almost 9 months of stay out of that Visa.

It is is a Tourist Visa so cannot be used continuously back-to-back, but in your case - staying less that 180 days a year in Thailand - there would be no problem as you would qualify as a genuine tourist.  So you could apply for such a Visa every year when you are back in the US.

26 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

I presume that the main reason for your intent to switch to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa is to avoid the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance when applying for a 1-year extension of your present Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

But since you mention that you are married to a thai national, did you consider applying for the 1-year extension for reason of MARRIAGE?  In that case no health-insurance is required, and also the financials to be proven are way lower than for a retirement-extension.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

Unless you can get proof of your income from your embassy you need to show 12 months of transfers from abroad that are at least 40k baht.

They do not ask for financial proof at those consulates and issue them without a problem.

You will also have to some them some kind of official document to show where the 40k comes from( ie, Social Security document listing your monthly amount (available of the SS website, a pension statement or the like). I had the disability statement from the US VA.

I prefer not to go the marriage route, too many unnecessary requirements, i.e. two copies of all documents, photos of wife and me, waiting for one month for approval, etc.  I have the 800K in the bank as its sole purpose to appease the IO.

Would anyone post a list of required documents to present to IO if I go the 60 day extension based on family visit to see my Thai wife?

10 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

Would anyone post a list of required documents to present to IO if I go the 60 day extension based on family visit to see my Thai wife?

You wife will need to be with you when you apply for the 60 day extension to visit her.

Marriage certificate and a copy of it, copies of her house book registry and ID card. Some offices will also want a Kor Ror 2 recently printed out by an Amphoe.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

I prefer not to go the marriage route, too many unnecessary requirements, i.e. two copies of all documents, photos of wife and me, waiting for one month for approval, etc.  I have the 800K in the bank as its sole purpose to appease the IO.

The over-the-top requirements to prove you are still married to your thai wife are indeed a consideration for some to prefer a retirement-extension over a marriage-extension.

But the reward to switch is considerable as the financial requirements for a marriage-extension are far less than for a retirement-extension.  For a marriage-extension you only need to provide evidence of 400K on a personal thai bank-account in the 2 months preceding your extension-application and keep it there till the application is approved (3-4 weeks).

Compare that with a retirement-extension where the 800K is to be kept two months before the application and three months after it, and for the remaining 7 months the balance should not go under 400K.

So a marriage extension frees up more than 400K permanently, and that just for providing the required marriage-documents which is somewhat of a burden the first time you do it but for subsequent years it is simply a repeat.

In your case you will also be confronted with the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for a 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.  When you apply for that 1-year O-A extension for reason of marriage no such health-insurance is required.

If you opt for the dirt-cheapest thai IO-approved health-insurance policy (LMG Insurance with 200K deductible) you would still pay an annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.700 THB in the age-category of 51 to 75.

Note: If the over-the-top requirements for a 1-year marriage-extension to prove you are still married are a burden, you could of course consider to apply for the 1-year Multiple-Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa in the thai consulates of Savannakhet, Laos or HoChiMinh City, Vietnam.

There is no need to prove ANY financial requirements when doing so, and the marriage-evidence required basically consists of simply showing your thai marriage-certificate, and next day your passport with the Visa can be collected.  That Visa provides you with a 90-day permission to stay on entry, after which you either need to leave the country (border-run can be done in 1 day) or apply for a 60-day extension of stay at your local IO for reason of visiting your wife.

When timed right that Visa can provide you with 17 months IO-hassle free stay in Thailand (with 3 to 5 border-runs during that period, depending on whether you use the 60-day extension option or not).  If you live close to a border-crossing or a thai international airport, the border-runs are not much of hassle compared with the advantages that Visa provides you (NO money locked up in a thai bank-account, NO 90-day reports, NO re-entry permits needed, NO need to apply for a 1-year extension and the associated hassle with local thai IO to prove you are still married). 

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Or perhaps a multi tourist visa would better fit (they may be more understanding of such use for six month stays)?

Thank you lopburi3 but I was under the impression with the crackdown on border runs and the restrictions placed on honorary consulates that multi tourist visas were no longer available

One border run after 90 days, with a tourist visa for another 90 days would be perfect, and the money I save on lousy insurance would certainly pay for several border runs if needed

Ubonjoe , you are correct the optimal solution is another O-A in the US but so far I have not heard of one TV member getting the Thai form signed by Blue Cross / Blue shield

Peter Dennis thank you for your guide but I am reluctant to obtain a retirement visa at one of the Embassies in the area, since I am not here for retirement, I am here for a 6 month visit, I never had problems applying for the O-A since it was never designated as a retirement visa but a long stay visa, in fact they used to have the words long stay  written on the Visa 

Visa.png.b51b5603dfb9ca68467df6309a0b34d5.png

11 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Peter Denis thank you for your guide but I am reluctant to obtain a retirement visa at one of the Embassies in the area, since I am not here for retirement, I am here for a 6 month visit, I never had problems applying for the O-A since it was never designated as a retirement visa but a long stay visa, in fact they used to have the words long stay  written on the Visa 

Visa.png.b51b5603dfb9ca68467df6309a0b34d5.png

Hi @Langsuan Man

Did you overlook my post #22, suggesting a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa which would allow you to stay max 9 months in Thailand. 

Since you only stay approx 6 months a year, such a Visa would allow you to stay IO-hassle free for that period (with 2 border-runs OR 1 border-run and two 30-day extensions).

An METV cannot be applied for in Thailand, but you can get one in a thai embassy or consulate in your home country (in some countries the thai embassy does not provide them but only the thai consulate or vice-versa).

Edited by Peter Denis