Australian Beef At Big C!

21 minutes ago, SaamBaht said:

Fresh cuts. The brand is Bangkok Bob. I don't know if they are in Bangkok but I assume. I'm in Khon Kaen and they have had them in stock over the last two weeks with regular restocking. Nice. 

Really nice, Makro sell frozen one what i have buy.

Yesterday i buy Thai beef (minced) what have  "dry  aged" 21 days, make hamburger stakes and was really yummy!

Was fresh one. Half kilogram 185 bth. Label PRO BUTCHER

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

I bought 3 kilos of Aussie ground beef yesterday at Makro. Well, 1.5kg of beef and 1.5kg of water. If this beef is better quality I would love to give it a try.

They are thinner cuts but tender and full of flavor. I was very surprised when I saw it. I hope they keep it up. 

24 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Really nice, Makro sell frozen one what i have buy.

Yesterday i buy Thai beef (minced) what have  "dry  aged" 21 days, make hamburger stakes and was really yummy!

Was fresh one. Half kilogram 185 bth. Label PRO BUTCHER

Hamburger stakes...…ouch.

The price of beef in makro is getting more affordable.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

Big C Extra has long had an Australian butcher and sold high-quality steaks from a number of countries. Australian fillet is a bit over 1500 Baht/kg, US closer to 1900 Baht, and NZ fillet was close on twice the price of the Australian offering the last time i looked. I like Australian beef, and it only works out around 50% more expensive buying it here than buying British steak back home in Blighty, so compared with the usual 100%++ markup on imported food it's something of a bargain.

I've heard adverts on 103FM for Bangkok Bob's meat at Big C, but I haven't tried it as I'm quite happy with what Big C Extra has provided for a long time now. However, if his fillet steak is less than 1500 Baht/kg, then count me in.

• Like 1

Macro near me are selling chilled Aussie beef. Bought a full tenderloin yesterday 499 kilo. They have striplion, rump, cube ( rib eye)  and all the other cuts. Manageress told me no tax on Aussie beef at the moment? 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, SaamBaht said:

The brand is Bangkok Bob. I don't know if they are in Bangkok but I assume.

I've seen them at least a few Big C branches in Bangkok (and of course you can also get delivery directly from the Bangkok Bob shop). I've never tried Bob's food, though I've been curious.

For beef, I always buy from Thai-French Butchery (behind Villa Market on Sukhumvit, near Phromphong), which is generally quite good and reasonably priced - and they'll cut or grind to order whatever you want.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, SaamBaht said:

Fresh cuts. The brand is Bangkok Bob. I don't know if they are in Bangkok but I assume. I'm in Khon Kaen and they have had them in stock over the last two weeks with regular restocking. Nice. 

What is the slaughter date of the fresh cuts in Australia. What is the transport time and the transport temperature of the fresh cuts from Australia. Has the temperature of the fresh cuts gone above 4 degrees celsius since the original slaughter and cool room storage

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I've been buying these Thai steaks (Suphanburi) from Tesco recently. 139baht and taste very nice with some cabernet sauvignon. Although Australian beef is nicer, I'd rather support Thai during this time.

20200503_174628.jpg

20200508_215837.jpg

Black Hereford. I doubt it but if the taste is good go for it.

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, SteveK said:

I bought 3 kilos of Aussie ground beef yesterday at Makro. Well, 1.5kg of beef and 1.5kg of water. If this beef is better quality I would love to give it a try.

I have bought, cooked and eaten the Bangkok Bob's steaks and thought they were very good, however the minced beef is a different proposition altogether because it's hardly minced, more like squashed/mashed, and it doesn't make a very good spaghetti Bolognese or similar because of this.

I do believe something has been added to it like vast quantities of water because my finished product was so poor, that I didn't eat much of it or save any of it, just poured it down the toilet after sampling a little of it – – very poor indeed.

1 minute ago, BOB JOSHUA said:

If you are in Pattaya, try Siamsburi, I purchased 2 Aussie Striploins last week, had one last night very tasty.

That's good to hear. My trouble is I cannot remember what a good steak tastes like until my next trip back.

• Haha 1