Australian Beef At Big C!

On 5/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, SaamBaht said:

Great to have beef in Thailand. They've come a long way in the last twenty years. 

You are absolutely right, they have come leaps and bounds over the years.  There are also so many different on-line companies now that will also deliver to your front door.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigz said:

Now you can get fresh Australian beef at Macro too at a very good price. Some of the cheaper cut steaks cost only 245 baht a kilo. Up until recently they only had frozen.

1-2 years ago the Makro started with fresh aussie beef but few months later they only had frozen...since then i haven't looked at any meat in the Makro at all, i think it's disgusting to see people grabbin chicken pieces with bare hands without washing them and after that pushing their trolleys like nothing happened.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What brand/label are those cuts carrying in Big C?

Fresh or frozen cuts?  Upcountry only, or in BKK also?

Samui big C also has.

28 minutes ago, pennine said:

Samui big C also has.

As well as Tops, carrying the fresh and frozen in the freezer and refrigerated sections.  Just bout 4 packages of the ground to make burgers which I will then make tomorrow.....Australian beef carries the Australian flag on the package.

Edited by ThailandRyan

14 hours ago, Russell17au said:

What is the slaughter date of the fresh cuts in Australia. What is the transport time and the transport temperature of the fresh cuts from Australia. Has the temperature of the fresh cuts gone above 4 degrees celsius since the original slaughter and cool room storage

You might ask the same question about the sold called beef produced in Thailand, together with the other meats sitting on counters in fresh food markets surrounded by flies.

I have been eating imported Aussie beef for years with no ill effects, had some tenderloin a couple of nights ago bought from Makro full of flavor and very tender.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You might ask the same question about the sold called beef produced in Thailand, together with the other meats sitting on counters in fresh food markets surrounded by flies.

I have been eating imported Aussie beef for years with no ill effects, had some tenderloin a couple of nights ago bought from Makro full of flavor and very tender.

I've had some steaks from Makro that were pretty decent, but nothing amazing and the quality seems to vary a lot. Had several that were tough as old boots. I've more or less given up on eating decent steaks here. The Thai beef is very poor quality, but even so, a good chef will tell you that these cuts can still be used to make delicious dishes, it just takes a bit of time.

I've done slow cooked beef and red wine casserole, slow cooked beef madras, Cornish pasties, beef fajitas (tenderised the beef with sodium bicarbonate), lasagne, beef koftas and loads more with Thai beef. Anything that you can cook for a long time, or is heavily spiced is fine for Thai beef. Marinading works well too, especially with a lot of lime juice or vinegar to help soften the meat. A pressure cooker is also extremely helpful if you want to make tender beef dishes from poor quality bits of meat.

I get the beef either from an old lady at the market who charges 150 baht for 500g, or some little stalls on the main road outside Ubon which say 

เนื้อวัวสด.
Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, alien365 said:

I've been buying these Thai steaks (Suphanburi) from Tesco recently. 139baht and taste very nice with some cabernet sauvignon. Although Australian beef is nicer, I'd rather support Thai during this time.

I find Thai beef very good. Like I said before, some of the Tops cuts are a bit uneven but tasty. I want to support Aussie beef as well as they beef is being boycotted by the Chinese because the Aussie wanted an international investigation into the CCP virus. Go Aussie beef. 

I use to buy every month, 1 kg of tenderloin, Aussie or Argentina beef in Central Festival CM.. a little expensive but Pure luxury and pleasure for lunch... with a Red wine.

And not so bad the frozen lamb in Makro.

Edited by Tarteso

Saw this morning in Big C Sukhumvit Bankok Bob's Aussie beef ,all packages there had already 2 times different lower yellow pricing labels over the original one , bought 218 gramfor 260 Thb , expiring date 20 May , so the reason for the publicity here probably …..

Watch out if going Big C , QR scanning needed for entry on your smartphone …… (big brother instructed to Big C 55555)

Edited by david555

I went early myself to Chiang Rai Big C, all sorts of signs and big QR signs as well, me no unnerstan, so I marched through, young kid thrust a temp thingie at my head and then led me to a silly little desk with a pen and flip chart asking me to sign my name and phone number, scribbled down something unintelligible and scooted off up escalator.

It was hell upstairs with an announcer just going on and on in Thai like that women on the news every evening around 6 - 7 PM. They never draw breath, so I was getting more and more irritated. The mask was not helping any as well. Grabbed a stack of Bangkok Bobs steak and made a beeline for the checkout.

F** F*** sakes.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, david555 said:

Saw this morning in Big C Sukhumvit Bankok Bob's Aussie beef ,all packages there had already 2 times different lower yellow pricing labels over the original one , bought 218 gramfor 260 Thb , expiring date 20 May , so the reason for the publicity here probably …..

Watch out if going Big C , QR scanning needed for entry on your smartphone …… (big brother instructed to Big C 55555)

They had the QR Code thing a the mall but not at Big C. Instead of using that, the mall has you sign a sheet with the time you arrived plus phone number and then you are supposed to sign you out when you leave. I left by a different door so...

13 minutes ago, SaamBaht said:

They had the QR Code thing a the mall but not at Big C. Instead of using that, the mall has you sign a sheet with the time you arrived plus phone number and then you are supposed to sign you out when you leave. I left by a different door so...

Big C Sukhumvit Pattaya South ALL has over signs at entry for QR  , and instead of 8 opened at 9 , simple sign with opening times not existing ….to difficult to put 09-xx opening hours ?, no English needed even for that.

No list for name and tel. number present only QR  (at least at that time …) no handwashing available 

Start getting really annoyed with THIS  Thailand after living here for 11 years 

Edited by david555

27 minutes ago, SaamBaht said:

". I left by a different door so..."

Oh dear oh dear T! now they are searching  you every where in the mall where you could be …..a dirty farang (by Anutin 'words }  missing....and could be a infected one as he no Thai

55555 ????

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

Who the f*** is Bangkok Bob. I suppose we have to pay more for his "name".

Think he is like Edward Scissorhands, cuts meat to order, owner and founder of Choice foods, as least that was what I remember.  He would deliver to the hotel restaurants.

In my haste this morning I picked up several packs of striploin by mistake, I really wanted sirloin, what a <deleted> idiot I am .

Anyway just had a ribeye for lunch, had a rich sauce of mushrooms, peppercorns and cream & brandy, so I can only comment on the tenderness, which was OK the more you got to the middle of the cut.

forgot to take a pic.

Give him credit, he looks the part.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, SaamBaht said:

Thai beef isn't bad. I buy Thai ground beef from Tops as well as steak cuts. The one complaint I have is they don't cut rib eye evenly across the entire cut. But still good and I'm grateful we have plenty as some countries are hurting for meat right now, like the US. I do buy some beef from Makro. Some of their frozen imported meat is great. Makro's fresh cuts aren't as good as Tops, in my humble opinion. 

Great to have beef in Thailand. They've come a long way in the last twenty years. 

Great to here that yours are getting Aussie meat up there, at great prices, we are sill paying anything from AUD16-20 kg for mince and 20-35 for steak. hopping now that China has wiped us it might bring the prices down, but as Morrison said we got get moving . It might bring some back next time I come up if its packed here might let me in with it won't mind paying $220 customer on it. any word on when they are letting flights back into the country. Will Hang in there  and keep me Jacks and Chang coming. BYE.

KIWI SHAZZA. 

On 5/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, SaamBaht said:

Fresh cuts. The brand is Bangkok Bob. I don't know if they are in Bangkok but I assume. I'm in Khon Kaen and they have had them in stock over the last two weeks with regular restocking. Nice. 

I went to Big C in Khon Kaen yesterday and was unable to locate this beef.  Is it on display under the name of Bangkok Bob or do I have to ask for said beef?

Thanks

2 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

I went to Big C in Khon Kaen yesterday and was unable to locate this beef.  Is it on display under the name of Bangkok Bob or do I have to ask for said beef?

Thanks

Here's what it looks like.

Screenshot_20200524-163956.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have cured my problems with ground meats (minced) as I buy the cut I want and grind them myself. Having worked at one time in a market, grinding my own beef/ pork you can get as close to the exact fat content you want and it is all meat no additives.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:38 PM, fruitman said:

1-2 years ago the Makro started with fresh aussie beef but few months later they only had frozen...since then i haven't looked at any meat in the Makro at all, i think it's disgusting to see people grabbin chicken pieces with bare hands without washing them and after that pushing their trolleys like nothing happened.

This happened in my local Makro (Rangsit, Bangkok). Some Thai guy was picking over the chicken wings with his bare hands. I complained to the manager of the meat dept and he went and stopped him. He then put plastic gloves next to all the meat bins. When we went back the following week, they had put signs all around the meat dept telling people not to touch the meat with bare hands, use the gloves.

Well done Makro.

• Like 2