Where can I get proper, uncooked spare ribs in Chalong/Rawai

Tapster

Hi, and I hope you're all managing in these trying times!

As a new hobby in lockdown, I've been trying to BBQ meat 'low and slow', as the Texans say.

Results have been encouraging so far, with no cremated disasters. I think the key is that if you cook at a relatively low temperature, things don't go wrong too fast!

Anyway, I cannot find a decent rack of ribs anywhere. I can now see why so few local bars and restaurants serve decent-size ribs; they all get theirs from Makro. The cut of 'ribs' that they sell in heaps at Makro, are technically ribs, because there are ribs in them, but they are not a rack, like a row of soldiers, and they're never more than a few inches long. There's plenty of meat, but no long ribs.

I'm wondering:

If I ask them, will the butchers/servers at Makro, butcher me some ribs to my specifications? 

If not, where can I go to get a proper rack of ribs: cheap, untrimmed, but actual long baby back or spare ribs??

Thanks for any advice.

????

Mr Moo had just what I was looking for.

Their racks are approx 5-600g each, a reasonable serving for one. They can get you bigger ones if you ask.

It's 250 THB/kg, but they are good ribs and don't need any trimming, just the removal of the thin membrane on the back.

Makro 'ribs' are approx 160 THB/kg, so a lot cheaper.

However, they're not really a rack of ribs, more a slab of meat/small rib/cartilage mixture (taste OK though), and you lose 20% weight after trimming, so let's say 200 THB/kilo after trimming.

For a BBQ where the appearance of the ribs matters, it might be worth going to Mr Moo, but for everyday home BBQ, I'll be happy with Makro.

• Like 1