The week that was in Thailand news: Free at last! Free at last! Well, free to laugh.

rooster59

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He smiled in appreciation - he doesn't do sarcasm or even humor to any marked extent.

Although I have lived in various parts of Asia for over 30 years, I have yet to find an Asian who truly gets sarcasm, and I have no idea why.

I used to live in a small village in Indonesia where if you saw someone that you knew and were passing them by on your way somewhere else, you still had to say something. Anything. The number of times I had this conversation:

"Ahh! Meeting you here, eh?"

My response, after a while, was always;

Ahh! Still alive I see, eh?"

No one ever blinked an eye. No one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Although I have lived in various parts of Asia for over 30 years, I have yet to find an Asian who truly gets sarcasm, and I have no idea why.

I used to live in a small village in Indonesia where if you saw someone that you knew and were passing them by on your way somewhere else, you still had to say something. Anything. The number of times I had this conversation:

Not part of the culture. Irony and sarcasm go right over the heads of many Asians because they are not taught to think that way. I have found this to be the best help in changing my approach to people and being more direct, literal. Sarcasm has a negativity associated with it. It's a kind of sneering that passes for humor. 

No it doesn't go right over the heads of many Asians. It is not regarded as funny because it causes loss of face and that is just not acceptable in public.

Try arguing with a policeman when he stops you, and you know you are in the right.

Great week it was and Sarcasm is an art that has to be finely honed. Who cares if they don't get it ?Working on the delivery takes patience and persistence...hehe

Me mum said " Son you're a sarcastic <deleted> sometimes" Me says " yes mum I learned from the best " ! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The "Nite Owl"

I miss him, too. If you find him, tell him he still has fans.  

I liked the the Crutch's articles, too, but mostly stopped reading the Post after being forced into retirement 5 yrs ago. If you're reading, Hi Crutch!!

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Finally, former PM Thaksin added to the titter fest by condemning the lockdown as being not worth sacrificing the economy. He may well prove to have been right. The comments provided the usual responses to Thaksin or Yingluck comments with 50% of posters praising and the other half deriding.

As clear a sign as any that the country remains as divided as ever.

I read to the end. What's my reward. In the long run, Thaksin, is right, but it won't fit the narrative.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, rooster59 said:

I think they will be counting the overseas clicks on Thaivisa to calculate the former and including the Thai visits to malls and parks for the latter. 

Haha, you got a good smile on me with this one, funny ! 

• Like 1

I like the glazed look you get from a Thai when you use sarcasm, you can see them trying to work it out. e.g ''The roof still leaks after you mended it but I find the water dripping on my head quite refreshing.'' 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I miss him, too. If you find him, tell him he still has fans.  

I liked the the Crutch's articles, too, but mostly stopped reading the Post after being forced into retirement 5 yrs ago. If you're reading, Hi Crutch!!

As the Sunday Bangkok Post has shrunk over the years and the supplement magazine contains nothing of value Old Crutch”s column is about the only thing we’re reading.

Unfortunately where I live in the North the newspaper often doesn’t arrive.

Try reading that last book he released “ The Long Winding Road to Nakhon Nowhere”

Plenty of laughs and humor

On 5/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, gropes said:

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" - so therefore all wit is based on it???

But you must finish the rest of it, the quote by Oscar Wilde. "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and the highest form of intelligence"

On 5/17/2020 at 6:57 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Reminds me of my usual response to "How are you?"  - "Surviving". In Thailand I've had to adapt it a bit, usually "Bai ha gig". What is definitely true is that no-one is remotely interested in how you really are. Maybe your sister or your mother., if you're lucky.