When will international postal service resume?

Aspaltso

I have several pieces of mail I need sent to me from the U.S. I previously saw information staying that postal service would t resume until after May 31. I know FedEx, and other couriers are available, but don't want to go that route due to cost. When will I be available to receive mail via post from the U.S?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just checked yesterday on a small package that was sent april 27th arrived yesterday at Bangkok

2-3 wks is pretty good considering the current situation.

Our local post office stopped delivering ordinary mail years ago when they got overwhelmed by parcels. Since then they just throw away mail (envelopes) and only deliver parcels. Occasionally we get some envelope randomly, maybe six months late or so, usually a bill. We have to pay all our bills at the different companies offices.

• Like 1

The UK restarted international postal services over a week ago, but they've got a big backlog to clear and with so few flights to places like Thailand I don't think we'll see "Express Mail" here for a while.

• Like 1

I ordered several items from China about 2 months ago and they still haven't arrived. I'm wondering if the world will ever get back to the way it was before the virus hit. Probably not if we accept all the restrictions and regulations put in place that have taken our freedoms and rights away in guise of "protecting" us.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

A family member sent me something from IN in the U.S. five weeks ago by two-week mail and it hasn't arrived yet. 

I have regularly gotten my US mail forwarded to me in Thailand the last few years. These last few months have definitely been severely impacted and delayed. The last two envelopes I received earlier this month took 5 weeks, last year 2 weeks was normal. 

I bought a small  item on Aliexpress and it was posted 16 APRIL from China.  

The package has arrived at Laksi Postal Center ( BKK airport ) on 16 MAY and at my post office in Chiangmai today 18 MAY.

So I guess some plane must arrive from China with postal items but not sure if they carry international Post out of Thailand.

Edited by cnx355
Add text
  • Like 1

Just recieved a package from Japan I ordered 10 days ago . Will oder  some things from USA later but expect delay as not many planes arriving to deliver mail but still cargo /goods arriving so some mail would be put on them.

16 hours ago, Monomial said:

Just spoke with the clerk at Thailand Post while trying to send something surface mail to the USA.

She advised me to wait until Wednesday before sending. She says big announcement coming when they are going to be restarting service to several countries.

If airmail opens to second countries, it will be sent from there to the West. Meanwhile, inbound airmail from Canada & USA work fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

The UK restarted international postal services over a week ago, but they've got a big backlog to clear and with so few flights to places like Thailand I don't think we'll see "Express Mail" here for a while.

Sounds about right.I am still waiting for U.K Post from 9 wks ago!

On 5/16/2020 at 7:20 PM, CharlieH said:

When International flights resume properly as most Post Office mail services utilize the passenger planes.

They also use cargo planes, which they don't want to do now because prices are higher.

19 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

They also use cargo planes, which they don't want to do now because prices are higher.

Actually I believe that is incorrect except for specialized categories of packages.

Normal airmail and SAL post is delivered on passenger aircraft flown under part 121 regulations and/or its equivalents. As it was relayed to me, this is due to security requirements. Unlike private couriers (FedEx/DHL/etc.) which have a single company that can oversee security, postal service is governned by international treaty through the UPU at the UN and relies on the security enforced by the ICAO for passenger planes.

Without passenger planes and the security afforded by them, there is no umbrella organization that can guarantee the packages won't be tampered with.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Guderian said:

I received my P60 last week which arrived about 3-4 weeks later than previous years. 

Yesterday (May 18) I received a parcel from the US (NY), some herbal supplement stuff.

(first try of such order)

Invoice says shipped on May 4.

Positively surprised that there was no hassle about customs.

As written in other threads I received two letters from Germany in April.

About 3 weeks from date of correspondence.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:26 AM, AlQaholic said:

Our local post office stopped delivering ordinary mail years ago when they got overwhelmed by parcels. Since then they just throw away mail (envelopes) and only deliver parcels. Occasionally we get some envelope randomly, maybe six months late or so, usually a bill. We have to pay all our bills at the different companies offices.

Same for me, my internet was cut off ( i was waiting for the first bill to arrive) i went to TOT office directly behind PO "we sent you the bill you not pay" I have had many problems before with PO. I went straight to the bank and made a standing order. That bill has never arrived nor do i expect any letter to arrive, postman comes past delivering parcels to the neighbors. pathetic.