When will international postal service resume?

Aspaltso

1 hour ago, lupin said:

The anticipated may 20th announcement is now in and reflected on the https://www.thailandpost.co.th//un/article_detail/article/11/17151 URL.

The doc shows a reversion to the updated 15th May status and only adds a few countries for AIR... no US/UK/CA/AUS etc..

That links to something older. I just called my postal manager and he said they added Bhutan, South Korea, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan - effective today. Airmail to Russia, China, and Hong Kong has always been available.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:06 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Why are there so many threads about the postal service, what's everyone posting?

The only item i've posted for years is my PP.

You need to get out more often. We use the postal service 3 times per week.

8 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You need to get out more often. We use the postal service 3 times per week.

I get out plenty but thanks for your concern, none of my outings are to the post office though.

I really can't understand what people are posting....

47 minutes ago, elektrified said:

That links to something older. I just called my postal manager and he said they added Bhutan, South Korea, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan - effective today. Airmail to Russia, China, and Hong Kong has always been available.

That link is TODAY may 20th... it is the same info that was posted then removed on the 15th.... with exactly the same counties you just listed

82610528_Annotation2020-05-20093242.png.cb8ee9cac503cb61a54046683b684704.png

Edited by lupin

5 minutes ago, lupin said:

That link is TODAY may 20th... it is the same info that was posted then removed on the 15th.... with exactly the same counties you just listed

82610528_Annotation2020-05-20093242.png.cb8ee9cac503cb61a54046683b684704.png

Thank you for that. Much appreciated. Looks like our local P.O. manager only forgot Portugal.

Just now, elektrified said:

No, actually I did look at it. When I open the link, it opens a document from 15 April. Do you get something else when you open it? That's odd.

clear your cache or hit refresh... the link remains the same every time there is an update... so if you have viewed it before, it will likely be cached in your browser

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Thank you for that. Much appreciated. Looks like our local P.O. manager only forgot Portugal.

No. He/she didn't forget. They just added France and Portugal today. That was the only practical change from the April 15 announcement. Also airmail to Switzerland and Sweden, which were surface mail only before. This announcement was a real disappointment. I was led to believe it would be big. This was a gigantic fizzle.

Special no thanks to everyone at Thailand Post for implying that they might actually have done something useful.

Still no mail service at all to Australia.

Edited by Monomial

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, Monomial said:

Still no mail service at all to Australia.

Found that out, much to my chagrin when I visited my local post office yesterday, but it wasn't only the fact that I could not send an email to Australia, it was the attitude of the woman behind the counter!

I politely asked how much it would be to send a small package via airmail, in a bubble pack envelope, to Australia. She put it on the scales fiddled about a bit with some paperwork and then said the usual response, "cannot".

I then politely asked when I could expect to send it, and she replied "three months", to which I replied three months before I can come back and send it, or if it goes now it will take three months to get there?? But that was far too much, so I gave that up as a bad job.

I'm going to to try and sell my Omega De Ville wristwatch on eBay and wondered how much it would cost to send it, along with insurance, to somewhere like the USA.

She then said "cannot" because it has a battery in it. I then said I would take the battery out and if I did, how much would it cost and she replied, "cannot" and when I asked why, she said because it have battery!

I very carefully explained that I would take the battery out before it was sent and then she said the famous word, "cannot", so I then gave it up as a bad job as she was getting very bad tempered.

After that pointless exercise I went along to the DHL office here and asked how much it would be to send the bubble pack envelope to Australia, and she said 1700 baht!! I then said I didn't think it was worth it as inside of the package were five USBs only!!!

In about a week I will have an important document to send to New Zealand, so I will probably use DHL to do that, because it needs to be quick and secure, and after my interaction with the post office, I wouldn't trust them with posting a turd.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 6:59 PM, Monomial said:

Just spoke with the clerk at Thailand Post while trying to send something surface mail to the USA.

She advised me to wait until Wednesday before sending. She says big announcement coming when they are going to be restarting service to several countries.

Combined with the announcement from Royal Mail that the UK has just started accepting incoming packages for Thailand again, it sounds like they may have some logistics issues worked out, and we might see postal services to several countries resume within the week.

Stand by. This is will be fantastic if true...

I was told Monday at local PO to come back Tuesday to send airmail to USA,  I did & was told no.  The envelopes I send are 85gm & usually cost me 30 baht postage.  Tuesday I was told 540 baht for surface!  That was a huge surprise.  Why does it go up from 30 to 540 with double delivery time quoted (they said 4 months!) 

22 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

I was told Monday at local PO to come back Tuesday to send airmail to USA,  I did & was told no.  The envelopes I send are 85gm & usually cost me 30 baht postage.  Tuesday I was told 540 baht for surface!  That was a huge surprise.  Why does it go up from 30 to 540 with double delivery time quoted (they said 4 months!) 

They have elimnated surface letter post and surface small parcel. The stated reason is because the USPS raised their prices so dramatically that the services now operate at a loss. It is only cost effective to offer surface mail now on the large packet delivery, with a weight class that begins at 5kg and costs 540 baht.

They are doubling the delivery times because they expect a significantly decreased volume with the new pricing. For surface mail, they hold the mail until they received a sufficient volume to fill a container. They are anticipating a dramatic drop in volume, thus increasing the time.

There are currently no cost effective services open to the USA for ordinary mail. Worse, recent history has shown Thailand Post is extraordinarily bad at announcing changes in their services. They closed surface letter and surface small packet to the USA with no warning. One day it was available. The next day it simply disappeared from their computers. No announcement was made. The same thing just happened today with airmail to most of the EU and UK. It suddenly became available today. Again, no announcement was made.

The staff is never informed. All you can do is ask them to please check in the computer and see if a rate has been opened for the country. Expect that it can change from day to day. If and when airmail is restarted to the USA, do not expect to be told about it from Thailand Post's announcements. You have to manually check at the counter every day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 1:42 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

What is strange is that air mail to the USA is only available by parcel post not by letter post. I assume that parcel post is a bit slower the letter post.

So have to box up your letters to send to the States?

Parcel post is for items >500 grams.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:00 PM, Monomial said:

They have elimnated surface letter post and surface small parcel. The stated reason is because the USPS raised their prices so dramatically that the services now operate at a loss. It is only cost effective to offer surface mail now on the large packet delivery, with a weight class that begins at 5kg and costs 540 baht.

They are doubling the delivery times because they expect a significantly decreased volume with the new pricing. For surface mail, they hold the mail until they received a sufficient volume to fill a container. They are anticipating a dramatic drop in volume, thus increasing the time.

There are currently no cost effective services open to the USA for ordinary mail. Worse, recent history has shown Thailand Post is extraordinarily bad at announcing changes in their services. They closed surface letter and surface small packet to the USA with no warning. One day it was available. The next day it simply disappeared from their computers. No announcement was made. The same thing just happened today with airmail to most of the EU and UK. It suddenly became available today. Again, no announcement was made.

The staff is never informed. All you can do is ask them to please check in the computer and see if a rate has been opened for the country. Expect that it can change from day to day. If and when airmail is restarted to the USA, do not expect to be told about it from Thailand Post's announcements. You have to manually check at the counter every day.

Huh? Thai Post always announces changes on their FB page. As for services to USA, currently EMS, Airmail Parcel post (>500 grams) and surface (boat - 3+ months) is available. You can send any weight package by Economy (surface). I sent a book that weighed around 400 grams and it cost about 250 Baht. The lack of Airmail Letter Post and SAL is due to COVID-19 and has nothing to do with prices in America.

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

Huh? Thai Post always announces changes on their FB page. As for services to USA, currently EMS, Airmail Parcel post (>500 grams) and surface (boat - 3+ months) is available. You can send any weight package by Economy (surface). I sent a book that weighed around 400 grams and it cost about 250 Baht. The lack of Airmail Letter Post and SAL is due to COVID-19 and has nothing to do with prices in America.

If true, you didn't do it recently. All letter surface and small parcel surface service to the USA has been suspended. Only large packet surface mail, courier post and EMS remains, unless they have made changes since Thursday.  The minimum fee for large packet surface is 550 baht.

I too was able to send code 150 packages with small packet surface to the USA in April and May. That option is now closed. If you claim something is now open, please report the exact date you sent and the specific computer code used in the Thailand Post computer system that allowed you to send. Just ask the clerk at the post. They can tell you the specific code.

Thailand Post is horrible at reporting updates. I send things every day, have an excellent relationship with the postal clerks, and have found changes are made to their internal computer systems days before they announce anything to the public.