Extension of temporary ban on all international flights to Thailand until 30 June 2020

9 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Your flights out on Delta are probably actually on Korean Air, a flight share partner of Delta. They still seem to be operating limited flights out of BKK to Seoul. They must be coming in empty, or maybe bring Thai Nationals or cargo and then picking up International departures.

Your right, why leave if you can't return? (unless you figure a vaccine might be available back home before here)

Yes KAL to Seoul, then actually Delta from Seoul to Detroit, then to Salt Lake City, then to Seattle before landing in Sacramento, Ca.  What a cluster of a flight 36 hours, but then the flight back was on Delta from Portland to Japan (Haneda), before JAL to BKK.  But I chose to cancel as they had changed my flights, and I was suppose to return on June 15th.  No way to return for who knows how long......I will go Next year

12 minutes ago, Markus Rider said:

How comes that at the moment there are still several international flights every day to Suvarnabhumi? From Frankfurt, Tokyo, Muscat, Seoul etc.... Does somebody know? 

Some are cargo flights. Others arriving with no passengers that can disembark here but can board passengers here. A few could be repatriation flights for Thais.

I am confused, Suvarnabhumi lists a daily raft of international arrivals from all over? are these just landing and taking off without passengers coming off? I suppose they are technical landings then as listed in the proclamation, I'm just surprised there are so many flights.

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

Edited by AlQaholic

2 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I am confused, Suvarnabhumi lists a daily raft of international arrivals from all over? are these just landing and taking off without passengers coming off?

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

Landing and either dropping of commodities, or repatriated Thais.  Then the outbound flights might have passengers returning to their home destinations.  Not tourists, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Landing and either dropping of commodities, or repatriated Thais.  Then the outbound flights might have passengers returning to their home destinations.  Not tourists, that's for sure.

Thanks, Ryan (and UbonJoe) for the answer. It just that the large number of flights surprised considering the Coronavirus is still so active in the regions where the flights originate.

1 minute ago, AlQaholic said:

Thanks, Ryan (and UbonJoe) for the answer. It just that the large number of flights surprised considering the Coronavirus is still so active in the regions where the flights originate.

Your Welcome.  Thailand still has products I believe that are still outbound on some flights, but then I could be wrong as there are also commercial cargo planes that also deliver.  If memory serves me correct, many airlines also hauled goods for extra money to the destination locations...

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

On foreigners - test on arrival as testing-systems become available.  Allow as many in as can be tested, first allowing all Thais to come home tomorrow (put up in the empty hotels until tested).  Re-test after 7-days if tourists stay that long.

Is this your opinion or did you get this information from somewhere?

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Most definitely just my opinion.  Though I cannot fathom why they don't put those empty rooms to use, and let their countrymen come home tomorrow. 

As to the testing - have read the airlines are lining up to get the machines ASAP - which makes sense from their business-perspective.  Who wants to get on a plane with sick people?  The surest way to get sick, pre-covid, was always to take a plane-ride.

That should mostly solve the "arrivals with covid" concern fairly soon (vs the "wait for a vaccine" insanity), though a follow up test a few days later would be needed to ensure someone did not "just get it" before boarding the plane.

I could not agree more!!! Well said.

But I fear we will not see these more "Intelligent solutions" in Thailand soon.

Edited by Berti

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Most definitely just my opinion.  Though I cannot fathom why they don't put those empty rooms to use, and let their countrymen come home tomorrow. 

One of the reasons is that you cannot just lock away people in hotels without providing them with some basic services: room cleaning, meals, delivery services, hotel maintenance. Those need people who not only need the right kind of PPE but also training in how to prevent virus transmission. Safely quarantining people is not as easy as it may seem, especially if people are infected with some of the highly infectious strains that originated in Europe. Experiences from care homes around the world, and people quarantined on cruise ships show this.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

One of the reasons is that you cannot just lock away people in hotels without providing them with some basic services: room cleaning, meals, delivery services, hotel maintenance. Those need people who not only need the right kind of PPE but also training in how to prevent virus transmission. Safely quarantining people is not as easy as it may seem, especially if people are infected with some of the highly infectious strains that originated in Europe. Experiences from care homes around the world, and people quarantined on cruise ships show this.

Sounds plausible,  but is not true.

Taiwan, the gold standard for virus eradication, put all arrivals in quarantine, and they were a lot more than 200 per day.

Taiwan even accepts home quarantine. This shows you that quarantine is something that a normal Taiwanese person can handle very well.  I can assure you that not all Taiwanese are rocket scientists or trained infectiology experts. It would be no problem to find enough staff in Thailand to handle the quarantine. 

But why should they? 

The ones that matter can always fly in "by private jet, like everyone else" (quote from someone not so poor)

• Like 2

Not surprised at all... but really more interested in what the "new" criteria for entry will be...

Current requirements are a no-go...  14 day quarantine, insurance, medical cert, etc..

...and of course, it's all waved for the 'quality' tourists...

1 minute ago, Saddic said:

Not surprised at all... but really more interested in what the "new" criteria for entry will be...

Current requirements are a no-go...  14 day quarantine, insurance, medical cert, etc..

...and of course, it's all waved for the 'quality' tourists...

Until countries drop 14 day quarantine when you return home, then most tourism is a no go. Italy is open to all EU citizens from 3rd June and Spain is saying today at the of June. I really can't see Thailand opening up until September, they will want the exisiting tourists gone first and then start fresh.

• Like 1

Even if Thailand let in international tourists after July 1, the requirement of Covid insurance and forced 14 day quarantine is going to put people off.

Not many genuine tourists would want to come due to this restrictions.

Some countries have implemented a 14 day self-paid quarantine in hotels. 

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Even if Thailand let in international tourists after July 1, the requirement of Covid insurance and forced 14 day quarantine is going to put people off.

The UK are going to ‘implement’ quarantine on the 1st of June, bit late I think and impossible to do, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 4:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

Same as before. There are no restrictions.

Had to come back to this old topic and just comment that you were correct as my family arrived from Thailand yesterday. The only weird thing was that the KLM check-in staff was surprised she had been given a Schengen C -visa (tourist I think they mean), and hence asked for the marriage certificate. She had it with her. Facepalm. I told her that she does not need the marriage certificate, but I guess Thai people know the madness logic of the Thais far better than me. Apparently no entry for people with tourist visas from outside the EU. But that is another topic than the original question ????

On 5/21/2020 at 8:42 PM, EricTh said:

Of course it will put people off IF Thailand keeps the quarantines going. But now that several EU countries have removed, or are in the process of ending quarantine restrictions this month and next, I can't fathom why Thailand would want to keep it going.

It would make much more sense to extend the flight ban or ban on incoming foreign nationals, until such time that quarantines will no longer be necessary.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:31 PM, JackThompson said:

As to the testing - have read the airlines are lining up to get the machines ASAP - which makes sense from their business-perspective.  Who wants to get on a plane with sick people?  The surest way to get sick, pre-covid, was always to take a plane-ride.

That should mostly solve the "arrivals with covid" concern fairly soon (vs the "wait for a vaccine" insanity), though a follow up test a few days later would be needed to ensure someone did not "just get it" before boarding the plane.

Not sure a lot of people will come with testing and other nuisance requirements.

Either we get back to the normal requirements we enjoyed until March, or travel will never take off like it used to, again.

11 hours ago, somtumwrong said:

I told her that she does not need the marriage certificate, but I guess Thai people know the madness logic of the Thais far better than me. 

For all you know, the check-in assistant could well have been acting under instructions originating from KLM back in the Netherlands. But KLM's decisions and actions, on the other hand, should never, in your eyes, be regarded as being lunatic illogical, right?

38 minutes ago, drbeach said:

But now that several EU countries have removed, or are in the process of ending quarantine restrictions this month and next, I can't fathom why Thailand would want to keep it going.

So can you equally fathom why the UK, as a non-EU country, only wants to introduce quarantine restrictions in 3 days' time? Or is your "fathoming" merely confined to Thailand?

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

For all you know, the check-in assistant could well have been acting under instructions originating from KLM back in the Netherlands. But KLM's decisions and actions, on the other hand, should never, in your eyes, be regarded as being lunatic illogical, right?

So can you equally fathom why the UK, as a non-EU country, only wants to introduce quarantine restrictions in 3 days' time? Or is your "fathoming" merely confined to Thailand?

Well, for starters, the UK said it will review the quarantine after 3 weeks. I have no idea why they are only introducing it this late, but several countries have recently introduced, or are about to introduce a face mask requirement to use on public transport, while in others, where people have been wearing them for 2-3 months they're becoming more complacent now.

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

Well, for starters, the UK said it will review the quarantine after 3 weeks. I have no idea why they are only introducing it this late...

The logic is that the UK has belatedly decided on a virus elimination strategy. They are trying to introduce a proper testing and contact tracing system (like that used in countries like New Zealand) for the first time. Virus elimination is not feasible without strong controls at the border. It remains to be seen whether the UK will be capable of the rapid testing and rapid contact tracing in a sustained effort over two months that is needed. The UK has several times changed its strategy already, and I have no difficulty imagining them abandoning the latest virus elimination strategy when they discover that it is hard.

• Like 1