Marriage visa 90 day border runs and Nong Khai

@pops1 @Mitkof Island Really! Pops1 I understand your at loss thoughts, but, MItkof, you are an oldy TV poster...

There is a complete amnesty, sort of, on Visa runners. You do not need to do anything until the end of July. The 31st is the 'deadline'.  Do not go to Immigration.  Near the end of July, you should either get out of Thailand, make your border run or apply for an extension.  I suggest you don't wait for the 31st. There will be nothing but a packed house everywhere (borders, airport and IO's).

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

@pops1 @Mitkof Island Really! Pops1 I understand your at loss thoughts, but, MItkof, you are an oldy TV poster...

There is a complete amnesty, sort of, on Visa runners. You do not need to do anything until the end of July. The 31st is the 'deadline'.  Do not go to Immigration.  Near the end of July, you should either get out of Thailand, make your border run or apply for an extension.  I suggest you don't wait for the 31st. There will be nothing but a packed house everywhere (borders, airport and IO's).

Thanks for your input. I was just concerned that if I don't go to immigration they would try and extort me later. 

Just to clarify please, if your non-0 multi expires PRIOR to July 31st you don’t need to do anything at all as in go to immigration for them to update your stamp to that date ?? 

So in effect when you next do your border run you will go with a seriously expired stamp. 

Correct ? 

6 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Just to clarify please, if your non-0 multi expires PRIOR to July 31st you don’t need to do anything at all as in go to immigration for them to update your stamp to that date ?? 

You non-o visa expiring means nothing after you are in the country. Only the admitted until date on your arrival stamp is important.

You can stay in the country until July 31st without a problem.

6 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

So in effect when you next do your border run you will go with a seriously expired stamp. 

Yes

But it is not important since immigration officers are well aware of the amnesty. I have already seen an example where a person was able to leave the country by air and only got a note under his departure stamp stating he was under the amnesty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You non-o visa expiring means nothing after you are in the country. Only the admitted until date on your arrival stamp is important.

You can stay in the country until July 31st without a problem.

Yes

But it is not important since immigration officers are well aware of the amnesty. I have already seen an example where a person was able to leave the country by air and only got a note under his departure stamp stating he was under the amnesty.

Cheers - I can see a lot of border town giks not being happy. ????

Just a bit of further clarification while I have your attention - the ‘admitted until’ stamps, can they be extended at an immigration office without doing a border run ? 

On 5/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, pops1 said:

Thanks for your input. I was just concerned that if I don't go to immigration they would try and extort me later. 

Someone posted a video from Richard Barrow's site with the Immigration spokesman definitely saying any non immigrant visas are covered by the amnesty. I have saved it to my phone and I if have any trouble with sus Immigration officers was going to play it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Cheers - I can see a lot of border town giks not being happy. ????

Just a bit of further clarification while I have your attention - the ‘admitted until’ stamps, can they be extended at an immigration office without doing a border run ? 

I think they will not make any stamp/notice to this effect.  You will just be told the extension is "auotomatic" - is no additional "stamping" needed.

2 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Someone posted a video from Richard Barrow's site with the Immigration spokesman definitely saying any non immigrant visas are covered by the amnesty. I have saved it to my phone and I if have any trouble with sus Immigration officers was going to play it.

Probably a good idea - but the 90-day Non-Imm entries were listed in the official order. 

It is only 1-year extensions on which there is any question about if the automatic-extensions / aka "amnesty" applies.  Some officies are saying even they are covered - though this is not explicit in the order.

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I think they will not make any stamp/notice to this effect.  You will just be told the extension is "auotomatic" - is no additional "stamping" needed.

Probably a good idea - but the 90-day Non-Imm entries were listed in the official order. 

It is only 1-year extensions on which there is any question about if the automatic-extensions / aka "amnesty" applies.  Some officies are saying even they are covered - though this is not explicit in the order.

From memory the official order did not specifically say non immigrant or maybe just the one I read. I thought it said all other visas. I know you guys know a lot about all this and as usual if you know something it seems simple to you but to others things still seem confusing(eg difference between permissions to stay and visa). I had read a lot but was still worried how different immigration department interpret things. I even saw 2 visa agents saying definitely non O were not covered. When I saw the words from the immigration spokesman's mouth I relaxed about it.

47 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

PS. He did say non immigrant and did not make any exceptions. Wouldn't that cover the 1 year extensions?

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

From memory the official order did not specifically say non immigrant or maybe just the one I read. I thought it said all other visas. I know you guys know a lot about all this and as usual if you know something it seems simple to you but to others things still seem confusing(eg difference between permissions to stay and visa). I had read a lot but was still worried how different immigration department interpret things. I even saw 2 visa agents saying definitely non O were not covered. When I saw the words from the immigration spokesman's mouth I relaxed about it.

The order gave names of entries with 15, 30, 60, 90 days.  I did not see a 365 day option. 

Some have reported here that some immigraiton officies are allowing late applications on 1-year extensions.  I would do it on time, to cover my backside (if I had a 1-year extension to extend). 

As well, I doubt those past their 1-year "permitted until" within the "automatic-extension" period would get hit with overstay if leaving before July 31 - but you never know.

So all good for all and any  currently in Thailand on any sort of Visa  that was  valid at the start time of the  amnesty. (Those with expiring  extensions of stay another matter of question because they are  Not  "Visas".)

Given that although the  amnesty applies up until the 31st July the question remains as to  what from there?

For those whose first option is to depart entirely, if passage is affordably available, to homeland or wherever by that date not an issue.

For people such as myself  who are in the situation where by being on a Multi Non O what best  option at/near end of  amnesty?

The conventional "border hop" is unlikely to be possible due to re -entry criteria --or  not?

Will/are relevant  Imm. O's grant/ing  short extensions of stay  on Visas' that have expired during the amnesty  period?

My point  of interest in this overall question is in  not having to leave if re-entry is impossibly complicated as a border hop from  Laos or Cambodia.

So  again the fact that although for the time being legitimate stay under the terms of the  amnesty is  clear enough it is a bit confusing as to what will ensue afterwards.

As I type this I  have come to the realization I would be best to pay a visit  to  my ever so  friendly and obliging  Immigration Office and put the question  there.????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As I type this I  have come to the realization I would be best to pay a visit  to  my ever so  friendly and obliging  Immigration Office and put the question  there.????

The danger with that is that despite them not having any better idea than this forum they will be unable to say "I have no idea" and instead will give a "answer" based upon guesswork.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The order gave names of entries with 15, 30, 60, 90 days.  I did not see a 365 day option. 

Some have reported here that some immigraiton officies are allowing late applications on 1-year extensions.  I would do it on time, to cover my backside (if I had a 1-year extension to extend). 

As well, I doubt those past their 1-year "permitted until" within the "automatic-extension" period would get hit with overstay if leaving before July 31 - but you never know.

Have you seen the video. Should I post it again? I assume TV will allow it?

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:
(snip video from above)

Thanks for the post. 

"Foreigner who hold Non Immigrant Visas of any type, their 'second renewal',  or so-called 'automatic visa renewal' will be extended from the 1st of May until the 31st of July, 2020.  In summary all VISA holders do not have to apply for an extension ... "

I don't know what he means by that.  What about those who are here on "annual extensions of stay" vs Visa-Entries?  I am on a Non-O-90-day entry, so I am covered until July 31. 

This was in the context of "no mass gatherings," so one would think it applies to all.  Yet immigration is still processing annual extensions of stay.

Edited by JackThompson

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thanks for the post. 

"Foreigner who hold Non Immigrant Visas of any type, their 'second renewal',  or so-called 'automatic visa renewal' will be extended from the 1st of May until the 31st of July, 2020.  In summary all VISA holders do not have to apply for an extension ... "

I don't know what he means by that.  What about those who are here on "annual extensions of stay" vs Visa-Entries?  I am on a Non-O-90-day entry, so I am covered until July 31. 

This was in the context of "no mass gatherings," so one would think it applies to all.  Yet immigration is still processing annual extensions of stay.

I am same on 90 days non O . Know very little about Thai Immigration but hopefully can help others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 9:43 AM, Bruntoid said:

Correct ? 

Yes, correct. My actual non o visa runs to December 2020 but my 90 day border run was due May 31st. Now I'm concerned that if I go out when the border opens they won't let me back in. I work here and I have a work permit.

7 hours ago, pops1 said:

Yes, correct. My actual non o visa runs to December 2020 but my 90 day border run was due May 31st. Now I'm concerned that if I go out when the border opens they won't let me back in. I work here and I have a work permit.

Why do you think you would have a problem entering the country?

When you leave the country the will do the departure stamp and make a note you had stayed in the country under the amnesty. I have already seen a photo of a stamp out and the note.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

Why do you think you would have a problem entering the country?

When you leave the country the will do the departure stamp and make a note you had stayed in the country under the amnesty. I have already seen a photo of a stamp out and the note.

Because they are not letting foreigners enter the country

8 minutes ago, pops1 said:

Because they are not letting foreigners enter the country

Your post led me to believe you were concerned about you long expired permitted to stay date when you leave the country and try to enter the country.

The borders are closed at this time and it is unknown when they will be open and what will be required for entry.

• Like 1