Vitamin D levels appear to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates

Seth1a2a

Vitamin D levels appear to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates

Patients with severe deficiency are twice as likely to experience major complications

Date:
May 7, 2020
Source:
Northwestern University
Summary:
Researchers analyzed patient data from 10 countries. The team found a correlation between low vitamin D levels and hyperactive immune systems. Vitamin D strengths innate immunity and prevents overactive immune responses. The finding could explain several mysteries, including why children are unlikely to die from COVID-19

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507121353.htm

Sounds a lot more promising than medallions or drinking bleach.  Price hikes and hoarding
of Vitamin D related food supplies or supplements might be the next big frenzy if this new theory remains intact.   

Edited by Seth1a2a

that it took that long to latch on is odd

Vitamin D has other roles in the body, including modulation of cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function, and reduction of inflammation [1,3,4]. Many genes encoding proteins that regulate cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis are modulated in part by vitamin D [1]. Many cells have vitamin D receptors, and some convert 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D.

57 minutes ago, lkv said:

That's cute, but so does hypertension, diabetes, and many others.

I would say the difference is that vitamin D falls under vitamins and minerals that people with no health issues can help themself with. Comparing that with diabetes and hypertension is not possible.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

They had fresh air back then? Must have been nice... 

the conditions in their shelters were horrible, like in 3rd world today,

they were burning wood & dung to keep warm, bad lighting,

electricity generation hadnt got started, they could venture outdoors

for a breath of fresh air, but outdoors was no heating

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the conditions in their shelters were horrible, like in 3rd world today,

they were burning wood & dung to keep warm, bad lighting,

electricity generation hadnt got started, they could venture outdoors

for a breath of fresh air, but outdoors was no heating

The Vit D thing and to a lesser extent, the fresh air thing, have been done to death already on this forum, but a picture's worth a thousand words as they say:

1128252555_images(3).jpeg.1a3f17dc8ec1685732403d95295f009a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nausea said:

The Vit D thing and to a lesser extent, the fresh air thing, have been done to death already on this forum, but a picture's worth a thousand words as they say:

1128252555_images(3).jpeg.1a3f17dc8ec1685732403d95295f009a.jpeg

actually looks far preferable to some of the scenes from hospitals that I see today.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:
2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

One of the treatments for the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic was fresh air

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

They had fresh air back then? Must have been nice... 

Come to sunny north east Issan. Plenty of clean fresh air up here. In our province there has only been one Covid case and that was imported from Phuket.

Coincidence? Maybe not.

I'm off for my walk to get my vitamin D ration right now.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take D3 and I'm NOT SURE.

Big money does research, can buy anything they want.  Because there is no cure for COVID, we will never know if buying Vit D really helped significantly.  

1.  Eat Liver, will help you with Covid.  But if you don't, maybe you have a 1% greater chance of dying

2.  Take Vitamin A

3.  Take Vitamin C

all the same........so worry about the BIG STUFF

1.  be fit, not fat

2.  less stress

3.  social distancing

all free

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

I would say the difference is that vitamin D falls under vitamins and minerals that people with no health issues can help themself with. Comparing that with diabetes and hypertension is not possible.

True to some extent.  But poor diet and lack of exercise = Increased risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes ...   So we do have  way to influence our health and try to stack the odds in our favor for survival ....

56 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

True to some extent.  But poor diet and lack of exercise = Increased risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes ...   So we do have  way to influence our health and try to stack the odds in our favor for survival ....

The question here is about vitamin D, right? You can still not compare.

Lack of exercise and poor diet leads to hypertension and diabetes

Lack of vitamin D leads to other things you could compare.

Do not ever try to compare an essence with an effect of a lack of an essence.

4 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Well Thais vitamin D must be low as they are as keen on sunlight as Dracula

This is true of most Asians, not just Thais. They do have an aversion to the sun. There's an interesting article on this very topic in 'The Nation'. (see link) Note that the article refers, in particular to 'working adults' in Bangkok. 

Of note to me is that as you move out into the rural areas, the number of C19 infections fall dramatically. And what have we got up here in the north east? Clean air, lots of sunshine and many folk spending their days outdoors. And in our province we've only had one (imported) case.

Vitamin D is probably not the only factor, but I think the overall lifestyle, including fresh air and sunshine, has played its part.

https://www.nationthailand.com/life/30259316

• Like 1

The latest on Vit D

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2020/05/high-doses-of-vitamin-d-supplementation-has-no-benefit-in-treating-covid-19.aspx

The message seems to be that low levels are bad but it's no miracle panacea.

Pretty much fits in with my own view that the institutionalised are more vulnerable, whether that's a care home, hospital, or whatever.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:02 PM, Moonlover said:

but I think the overall lifestyle, including fresh air and sunshine, has played its part.

This seems to be a key point. Superspreading events have been mainly in closed spaces with bad ventilation. 

• Like 1