BANGKOK
rooster59

Democrats launch probe of Trump's firing of State Department watchdog

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely the democrats in a population of 330 million, can find one person who is youngish, charismatic and does not have issues with memory, the bottle or playful hands.

As I've noted before the intrusive and abusive media means that no sane person with a family will touch the position of POTUS even with a very long barge pole. Who in their right mind would willingly submit themselves and their family to the sort of media assault given to Trump, and I can't see it changing.

To be fair DT does not exactly help himself.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

As I've stated before:  If you don't vote for the lesser of two evils, you get the greater evil.

The best fix to the entrenched two party system that caters to extremes is the rank order voting system, also known as the ranked choice voting system.  It's used in some localities and Maine, as well as several democratic countries (Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and others).  Instead of rewarding candidates for catering to extreme elements of their base, it encourages candidates to appeal to the broadest possible range of voters.

Changing the accepted voting method will be a hard sell, but it could be done on a state by state basis until most of the country gets the hang of it.

Speaking as one in NZ, don't claim that the voting system we have is good. It's, IMO, an atrocity which allows unelected people to sit in parliament and is not democratic. First past the post as the UK still has is by far the best option, IMO. I thought you were in favour of the popular vote.

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Anything that features Tucker Carlson has a credibility problem with me.

Your source seems primarily concerned with the fact that the bill did not specifically exclude some businesses from government assistance.  If the bill had gone into that level of detail it would have never gotten to vote.  Also, I don't know how repealing a tax deduction benefits the wealthy.  Tax deductions usually benefit the wealthy.

Don't be obtuse. It is not about specifically excluding, it is about specifically INCLUDING. These organizations were not includedi in prior PPP bailouts. Nor were 501c3's (legitimate not for profit organizations). 501c4's and 501 c6's got snuck in with the legitimate (mostly charities) organizations. Don't be a political hack. Don't let me lose respect for you. Bad is bad, wherever it comes from.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

To be fair DT does not exactly help himself.

Perhaps, but IMO he enjoys putting barking stuff out there just to see the Dems go mental. Latest example is saying he uses that malaria drug for Corona.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps, but IMO he enjoys putting barking stuff out there just to see the Dems go mental. Latest example is saying he uses that malaria drug for Corona.

To an extent, but i think you are probably giving him to much credit. i think he just says the 1st thing that comes into his head sometimes. US Politics is so polarized whatever he says one side will kick and scream and the other side will support him.

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

No reasonable person could vote for Trump or Biden, unless Biden had a really fantastic VP choice, which doesn't seem likely. Someone else is really the only honorable thing to do.

That's entirely down to the Dems then. Unless they have cloned JFK seems they're stuck with Biden. So many have endorsed him including Obama it would be a major embarrassment if they now said they made a mistake.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speaking as one in NZ, don't claim that the voting system we have is good. It's, IMO, an atrocity which allows unelected people to sit in parliament and is not democratic. First past the post as the UK still has is by far the best option, IMO. I thought you were in favour of the popular vote.

But at least nz has a pm which has huge support.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/jacinda-ardern-most-popular-new-zealand-pm-in-a-century-poll-reveals/news-story/a02a609483907ef32914f7900e0c9a9b

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

To an extent, but i think you are probably giving him to much credit. i think he just says the 1st thing that comes into his head sometimes. US Politics is so polarized whatever he says one side will kick and scream and the other side will support him.

Exactly. IMO he knows his base will not only support him regardless, but probably enjoy seeing him sticking it to the Dems. One reason that his base do like him is that he isn't just another political glove puppet that says nothing that isn't prepared and thoroughly vetted beforehand. He more like one of the guys down pub just saying a load of <deleted> like normal guys do. His "pussy" remarks probably helped him with his base more than hurt. I sure thought it was the end of his campaign, but I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's entirely down to the Dems then. Unless they have cloned JFK seems they're stuck with Biden. So many have endorsed him including Obama it would be a major embarrassment if they now said they made a mistake.

There is precedent for his removal. Hubert Humphrey became the 1968 Democratic candidate without ever winning a primary. Brokered convention.  Joe Biden became the Democrat nominee without ever leaving his basement! Democrats need a brokered convention. It's a little bit rare now, but not that unusual.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly. IMO he knows his base will not only support him regardless, but probably enjoy seeing him sticking it to the Dems. One reason that his base do like him is that he isn't just another political glove puppet that says nothing that isn't prepared and thoroughly vetted beforehand. He more like one of the guys down pub just saying a load of <deleted> like normal guys do. His "pussy" remarks probably helped him with his base more than hurt. I sure thought it was the end of his campaign, but I was wrong.

Unless he is a political glove puppet and this is the role his puppeteers have decided he use.....

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

That may change when the <deleted> she has inflicted on us comes out in the next few weeks. I wouldn't put too much stock in a poll at this point in time. She has been virtually the only politician in the public eye since she locked us up and destroyed our economy, so will have to wear whatever criticism comes, alone.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Unless he is a political glove puppet and this is the role his puppeteers have decided he use.....

That's entirely possible. I had more respect for him before he became an establishment politician. I had hoped he would bring the hounds of hell to the congress, but sadly not so far. Perhaps in his second term he will cry havoc and let them loose.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

There is precedent for his removal. Hubert Humphrey became the 1968 Democratic candidate without ever winning a primary. Brokered convention.  Joe Biden became the Democrat nominee without ever leaving his basement! Democrats need a brokered convention. It's a little bit rare now, but not that unusual.

If in fact the Dems have a surprise candidate waiting in the wings I'd expect they'll try and get him to resign rather than assassinate him at convention. That would just alienate all the voters that chose him.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If in fact the Dems have a surprise candidate waiting in the wings I'd expect they'll try and get him to resign rather than assassinate him at convention. That would just alienate all the voters that chose him.

The thing is, nobody really wants him. Ask these people. Do they really want Joe Biden? I get it, that they don't want Trump. But do they really want Joe Biden? I don't think so.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't claim the system of government in New Zealand, or anywhere else, is perfect.  I simply maintain that rank choice voting allows people to identify the person or party they think is best, while also allowing them to identify a second choice, third, etc., all the way down to the last choice.  It is a way to drive candidates to the center and to keep out the most unpopular candidate.

One can be in favor of the popular vote and rank choice.  Rank choice can also work with the current electoral system, though I would like to get rid of that.