BANGKOK
rooster59

Democrats launch probe of Trump's firing of State Department watchdog

I thought he was fired for investigation an $8 Billion arms sale to the Saudis that was intended to circumvent Congressional approval.

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

That wasn't the point of my post and you know it.  Trump has to provide Congress with a legitimate reason for firing the IG.  That is the law.

Let's try an approach that maybe you can't wiggle out of:  Do you think Trump must obey the law?

Try not baiting and I might answer.

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

Seems to me you could replace "Dems" with Republicans and "Trump" with Obama and you'd have an accurate depiction of events from 2008 to 2016.

I don't recall that it was as bad, but you may be correct. IMO the American political system has been broken for a very long time.

Eisenhower spilled the beans on the military industrial complex.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't recall that it was as bad, but you may be correct. IMO the American political system has been broken for a very long time.

Eisenhower spilled the beans on the military industrial complex.

You mean the Military, Industrial, Pharma, Banking, Media, Education complex? All with embedded growth obligations.

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I thought he was fired for investigation an $8 Billion arms sale to the Saudis that was intended to circumvent Congressional approval.

This seems to be Pelosi's new claim, which I think any rational person can probably assume isnt true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

This seems to be Pelosi's new claim, which I think any rational person can probably assume isnt true. 

I find very little reason for any President from any party to fire an Inspector General. They are apolitical and are the backbone of America's institutions. We elect schitty politicians cycle after cycle but the IGs are the bulwark that held up the institutions which hold up the government, which is meant to serve the electorate. There is absolutely no reason to remove one without VERY strong cause. Hey, what's this?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/498385-pompeo-says-he-asked-trump-to-fire-watchdog-for-undermining-state

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

They are apolitical and are the backbone of America's institutions.

They aren't apolitical, and even WaPo called his post "quasi-independent". I can rattle off quite a few appointees that are viscous partisans. I would agree that ideally it would be this way but the fact remains that some are not. 

5 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

There is absolutely no reason to remove one without VERY strong cause. Hey, what's this?

Seems like what they view as VERY strong cause. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

They aren't apolitical, and even WaPo called his post "quasi-independent". I can rattle off quite a few appointees that are viscous partisans. I would agree that ideally it would be this way but the fact remains that some are not. 

Seems like what they view as VERY strong cause. 

They view as strong cause, the fact that a preceeding President appointed the Inspector General? What next? Will they be removing Federal Appellate and Supreme Court Judges and Military Generals because they were appointed by the preceeding administration?

Edited by lannarebirth

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

They view as strong cause, the fact that a preceding President appointed the Inspector General? What next? Will they be removing Federal Apellate and Supreme Court Judges and Military Generals because they were appointed by the preceeding administration?

I think thats a straw man. I also think that the left doesn't give a turd about the Supreme Court or its appointees (that are voted on and approved by the congress) as they are already talking about just adding more, therefore gaining a majority again. 

Its all trash full of sh*t politicians. I would care if I thought there was even a remote possibility of bi-partisanship but there isnt. Its vicious partisan politics to the very end and if you dont play, you lose. 

And it'll stay this way until a revolution/massive economic crash/war on the homefront happens. 

8 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

And it'll stay this way until a revolution/massive economic crash/war on the homefront happens. 

Well, you're in luck, that's on the way. I wish we could do it because of enlightened self interest, but apparently not.

8 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, you're in luck, that's on the way. I wish we could do it because of enlightened self interest, but apparently not.

And the feeble minded will believe all the way to their grave that it was all Trumps fault. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

And the feeble minded will believe all the way to their grave that it was all Trumps fault. 

Well, the more enlightened may realize that America has been on a steady downslope since 1973 (1972-1974). We have created institutions and narratives based on embedded growth obligations and we have been artificially manufacturing growth for decades. Worked out pretty well for the Baby Boomers and the "Silent" generations but everyone after, not so much. Trump was a "Hail Mary" pass against what is obviously the managed decline of a nation. He was a horrible mistake. What's worse is, he isn't really any worse than HRC would have been or Biden will be.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, heybruce said:

You don't recall McConnell saying he wanted to make Obama a "one-term president"?  You don't recall the repeated Benghazi investigations?  You don't recall legions of idiots claiming that Obama was born in Kenya?

I ignore most things that come out of politician's mouths so no, I don't. I do remember the Benghazi thing but I'm not getting sidetracked onto that.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, the more enlightened may realize that America has been on a steady downslope since 1973 (1972-1974). We have created institutions and narratives based on embedded growth obligations and we have been artificially manufacturing growth for decades. Worked out pretty well for the Baby Boomers and the "Silent" generations but everyone after, not so much. Trump was a "Hail Mary" pass against what is obviously the managed decline of a nation. He was a horrible mistake. What's worse is, he isn't really any worse than HRC would have been or Biden will be.

But its not just 'politics' - its the media, narratives, the lying, the frauding... Villifying millions for points... 

They all have a stake. Everyone is culpable. Partisans will never admit this, but its true. 

HRC/Biden wouldn't be 'worse' in the sense of partisanship and economic doom, but they would feed the machine just like Trump. 

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

You don't recall McConnell saying he wanted to make Obama a "one-term president"?  

I hate McConnell and send contributions to a Democrat who I hope will oppose and beat him in the General Election. That said, your quote is just political speech. I get a dozen emails a day from various Democrat affiliated groups asking for contributions to "make Trump a one term president"