Todays water heater installation

Matzzon

I'm not very good at DIY, and when living in EU, I would employ tradesmen for most jobs, but since living here, I've gradually become almost proficient in many things, for the very reason that you've highlighted. 

Which is even though I don't do it as a day to day job, I know I can do it better myself. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

When I tried to say something, the guys just smiled and said "no poblem, no danger"! After that my wife paid them

My response would be  ' no problem, half money ' and believe me they will never win the argument and do whatever I say, and never let missus doing the rounding off with them.

What am I saying,.. I would do the fixing myself unless it is included (as with the air-cons mostly).

When they mounted the aircon they allegedly wanted to put the feeding cable over the ceilings instead of mounting on the wall, and on the wall having loose wires to the breakers saying they don't have enough trunking.. But I have, gave it to them and said there and do it right, and leave behind whatever you aren't using but included in the BOM.

For earthing they would use the same colored wire as the feeds, I said no no, after their response was 'we don't have the color' and they ended up using another 5 meters cable from my stock.. free.

You really have to be 'onsite' all the time to get it right.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

bum gun too cold ? ????

No! Why, would it be? I have an 8 year old and a 1 year old. Both daughters. They like hot showers. Me and my wife likes it to, as that it has been confirmed for years that hot water is needed to clean the body. I sincerely hope I didn´t made you wake up to this century too quick.

6 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

My response would be  ' no problem, half money ' and believe me they will never win the argument and do whatever I say, and never let missus doing the rounding off with them.

What am I saying,.. I would do the fixing myself unless it is included (as with the air-cons mostly).

When they mounted the aircon they allegedly wanted to put the feeding cable over the ceilings instead of mounting on the wall, and on the wall having loose wires to the breakers saying they don't have enough trunking.. But I have, gave it to them and said there and do it right, and leave behind whatever you aren't using but included in the BOM.

For earthing they would use the same colored wire as the feeds, I said no no, after their response was 'we don't have the color' and they ended up using another 5 meters cable from my stock.. free.

You really have to be 'onsite' all the time to get it right.

You´re the man! ????????????????????
I can´t care less. Just put this picture and thread up for fun. I will fix their mess tomorrow. Why pay half? They need the money, and that is how they do things in the smaller places of this country. 

3 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

I'm not very good at DIY, and when living in EU, I would employ tradesmen for most jobs, but since living here, I've gradually become almost proficient in many things, for the very reason that you've highlighted. 

Which is even though I don't do it as a day to day job, I know I can do it better myself. 

It is a nightmare. In the meantime I stand next to them and watch what they are doing. Many don't like this and complain. At the beginning I tried to be polite but in the meantime I send them home if they don't do what I tell them and look for other people or do it myself if possible. I am tired of bad installations were I have to fix a lot afterwards. Just last week I fixed one of my aircons after it was cleaned by a company. It was not built together correctly and in addition several screws were missing. I didn't expect a problem at such a simple task. My mistake. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

You may be prone to covid infection, but immunity to humour is on point.

Immunity to humour? No, not at all. Just don´t put it on a level of toilet visits and <deleted> or <deleted>. Thank you for letting me know where you put your level. Anything else I can do for you, Sir?

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Immunity to humour? No, not at all. Just don´t put it on a level of toilet visits and <deleted> or <deleted>. Thank you for letting me know where you put your level. Anything else I can do for you, Sir?

Ah, to be above it all. 

I have now been drawing a conclusion about this installation. Unfortunately it´s all my fault. I have simply chosen the wrong color of tiles in our bathroom, and confused the installation crew to the point they didn´t know what color of tape they were supposed to be using. Therefore they left the cables outside on top of the water heater, and are now awaiting my approval of tape color to come back and finish their work. Is that correct? ????:crazy:

Edited by Matzzon

19 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

That really is poor work.  It would be easy to off the breaker, open the lid, and connect properly.  It looks like they connected ground at least.  Cheers.

I don't see where a ground is connected. I see only 2 connections.

Even if they did wire it to an earth, is the earth actually any good? I paid someone to install my heater as I wanted someone to blame if it went wrong, but after they left I had to install a proper earth rod.

The water heaters I'm familiar with don't come with short bits of wire to connect with other bits of wire, so they must have connected their short bits rather than connecting the feed directly into the heater.

I did learn something from my time in LOS. After I inadvertently cut my electric drill wire it now works quite well with twist and tape joins, rather than opening the casing to put in a new wire:-)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see where a ground is connected. I see only 2 connections.

Even if they did wire it to an earth, is the earth actually any good? I paid someone to install my heater as I wanted someone to blame if it went wrong, but after they left I had to install a proper earth rod.

The water heaters I'm familiar with don't come with short bits of wire to connect with other bits of wire, so they must have connected their short bits rather than connecting the feed directly into the heater.

I did learn something from my time in LOS. After I inadvertently cut my electric drill wire it now works quite well with twist and tape joins, rather than opening the casing to put in a new wire:-)

It looks like they have connected 3 cables, which would mean a ground as well. However, I am not sure it´s any good either. Will look at that myself today. I have lot´s of knowledge about electric. Just that I didn´t like to do the work. Now it looks like I have to. ???? 

Regarding the short wire, it is because the heater is moved, and i let the wiring stay connected to the heater. Fool as I am, I thought they could use the length of it to make a proper installation. ???? It was also old cables hanging down from the ceiling. That´s why they managed to make that retarded decision.

Edited by Matzzon