CMU opens North’s first negative pressure room

rooster59

CMU opens North’s first negative pressure room

7121e7f7071987926e1515ba41716441_small.jpg

CHIANG MAI (NNT) - The Faculty of Medicine of Chiang Mai University (CMU) has unveiled the North’s first ever negative pressure room for airborne infection isolation.

Working with the CMU’s Faculty of Engineering and alumni, the Faculty of Medicine opened the facility as part of the efforts against the spread of the coronavirus disease COVID-19. The room allows for rapid and systematic isolation of the virus, and is in addition to an emergency facility at Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital. It took 21 days to build, using a budget of 5.5 million baht donated via the Suan Dok Hospital Foundation CMU Faculty of Engineering Alumni Fund.

The room is able to treat and disinfect its own air supply while remaining completely isolated from other spaces. It has four internal facilities for treatment of COVID-19 patients, protecting other users of the facility from any airborne contagions. It also protects patients from other respiratory ailments such as tuberculosis and flu.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-05-17

I would have thought that if one needs to isolate a room from unwanted elements in the outside air, one would have to maintain a positive pressure inside, or am I wrong?

Edited by damascase
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, damascase said:

I would have thought that if one needs to isolate a room from unwanted elements in the outside air, one would have to maintain a positive pressure inside, or am I wrong?

No mate, you want nuthin' creeping outta there so 'underpressure' is in order ... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, damascase said:

if one needs to isolate a room from unwanted elements in the outside air

Wrong way round.

The air inside the room is contaminated by the infected person.

Positive pressure rooms exist but for another purpose.

E.g. saving you inside from poisonous/contaminated air outside.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wrong way round.

The air inside the room is contaminated by the infected person.

Positive pressure rooms exist but for another purpose.

E.g. saving you inside from poisonous/contaminated air outside.

Thanks, I was indeed thinking the wrong way round!

3 hours ago, damascase said:

No you are not wrong , that is the exact opposite of what is needed. Most all so called CV-19 patients already have preexisting lung problems and the ones treated with this asinine treatment , their lungs have the same visible damage  the same if you were in and airplane and lost cabin pressure @ 20,000 feet. these ventilators are killing the patients @ low to 0 pressure as drowning so to speak. You listen to these guru's you are making a fatal mistake and further more mammals ( humans and animals ) breath oxygen and exhale Co2 that the plants breath. You wear a mask and your Co2 saturation levels increase to dangerous levels and the brain and the rest of your body starves to dangerous levels including death. NOW folks YOU tell me what is going on. Think about it. Cheers and enjoy your mind/body control slavery.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nervona81732 said:

No you are not wrong , that is the exact opposite of what is needed. Most all so called CV-19 patients already have preexisting lung problems and the ones treated with this asinine treatment , their lungs have the same visible damage  the same if you were in and airplane and lost cabin pressure @ 20,000 feet. these ventilators are killing the patients @ low to 0 pressure as drowning so to speak. You listen to these guru's you are making a fatal mistake and further more mammals ( humans and animals ) breath oxygen and exhale Co2 that the plants breath. You wear a mask and your Co2 saturation levels increase to dangerous levels and the brain and the rest of your body starves to dangerous levels including death. NOW folks YOU tell me what is going on. Think about it. Cheers and enjoy your mind/body control slavery.

Wow!

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll get the guys in ICU to make sure that patients in NP rooms get extra oxygen.

Maybe we'll use oxygen feeding masks......or "intubation".

If it works we might consider using it as a general technique, in a variety of situations.

Thanks once again,

Yours sincerely,

Dr Foster, The Hospital, Gloucester.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

A little bit sad it took 30 years or more to have a negative pressure room considering TB is so prevalent in SE Asia...have to wonder if hospitals even keep track of Hospital nosocomial infection rates? 

And then one must wonder About the engineering configuration of operating rooms here which should all be positive pressure room design?

The next big question is it takes a lot of effort and monitoring to keep air pressures rooms functioning effectively...I hope they are up to this big task... 

5 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Interesting but completely unrelated to the function of the negative pressure room.

Whether or not a patient is ventilated has nothing to do with such room.

These rooms are widely used in hospitals, labs etc. to avoid contamination of the outside areas.

The pressure difference is in the magnitude of natural variation of air pressure (highs/lows).

I suggest you get informed before spreading such stuff.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Anyone who questions the validation of a negative pressure room is of the same mentality of trump protesters...

they are a vital component of an overall hospital infection control plan..

they do need continuous inspection and monitoring to be effective as designed...should be under the guidance of a CIH....