Delivery Charges

Gonzo the Face

With regard to the 3 or 4 Food Delivery groups that are delivering in Chiang Mai (from restaurants to homes) does anyone know what the fee charged for this service is?   Are they all the same???? Is it a flat rate??? Dependent on distance ???  or other ??     Anybody know for sure??  I have been given a number of different figures....  Short of calling each one, do any members know for sure?   Is it added on to the food bill or billed into the original food price.  Serious replies only please.  Thanks ,  Gonzo

I am on good terms with 2 different Restaurateurs.

One is signed exclusively to one delivery service and says he gets their cheapest rate .

My other friend is signed up to the 2 main ones and he pays their normal high rate.

Both are happy with their arrangements over the lockdown period which has kept them and their staff in business.

Both receive payments to their bank account the following day.

john

42 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

One is signed exclusively to one delivery service and says he gets their cheapest rate .

My other friend is signed up to the 2 main ones and he pays their normal high rate.

Both are happy with their arrangements over the lockdown period which has kept them and their staff in business.

john

How much do they pay for delivery service? Percent of food cost?  Fixed price for distance zones?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

john

Thanks John, if you could say a it more about rates, that would be appreciated.

~o:37;

• Haha 1

John is English. We consider it not on, to ask other folks about their money matters.

I only know what they have chosen to tell me.

I have no idea on my friends financial terms of service.

As I said, in conversations, both men are happy with what they get paid into their bank the following day and it has helped them and their staff through the lockdown.

john

Wife has Panda for her restaurant. Initial cost is about 1500 to receive their machine that sends orders to. They send to her bank account only once per month. On top of that they also have a mandatory 30% fee on your bill. So if they buy 1000 baht on their order then you will receive 700.. She actually charges Panda a littler bit more to recover some of that atrocious 30% fee, so there are 2 menus. Panda and a walk in.. As for Grab there is an initial cost I think of 10k baht to get into their program. They pay on the spot to you though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Wife has Panda for her restaurant. Initial cost is about 1500 to receive their machine that sends orders to. They send to her bank account only once per month. On top of that they also have a mandatory 30% fee on your bill. So if they buy 1000 baht on their order then you will receive 700.. She actually charges Panda a littler bit more to recover some of that atrocious 30% fee, so there are 2 menus. Panda and a walk in.. As for Grab there is an initial cost I think of 10k baht to get into their program. They pay on the spot to you though. 

that is steep

How about offer your own delivery service?  Lots of guys with motorcycles and nothing to do but good maps/directions could be a problem.  I think I would try a lady with a motorcycle but not a pretty one.

The fact is you need to increase your outside menu cost and yes 30% is way too much as you cannot increase your menu price that much. So you do lose more in a profit. But it does keep people in business making some little money.. They have the network and system. So depending on where as the area the customer is calling from, they have riders everywhere who just go to restaurants in that same area.

2 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Is it "English," then, for John to brag about his inside knowledge on a public forum ?

I was asking for details about the delivery rates you pay for home delivery.

~o:37;

Good that we are getting around to it.... that was the original question .

You could try downloading the apps for Grab Panda etc...just make an order but don't go through to payment...you will then see the exact charging structure from the various companies and restaurants. Grab for me is always 10 baht...but some places like Texas chicken or KFC have special deals through Grab and can be very good value, cheaper than going there yourself.win win for me..that's Pattaya btw

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I can only pass on what I know to the ignorant.

Not even I claim to know all just what folks in trade want me to know.

john

Find your remarks of calling members igorant rather amusing from your posts to the O/P request 

Perhaps

You say it best

when u say nothing at all????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did some checking and found that 2 of the delivery groups are quoted as charging 30 % !!!   That can't possibly be correct can it ???  They make more just by delivering than most restaurants make by buying, preparing and packaging .   Not to mention the cost of business and equipment set up, etc.   Is that ????  Can that ???  30% be correct???? 

Edited by Gonzo the Face
adding too

Perhaps

You say it best

when u say nothing at all????

Yes at least I have tried to pass on practical information instead of sniping. 

Ignorant means not knowing, unfortunate that you take a negative view. 

Two different places with different approaches to the same problem and two happy owners who are still in business.

john

can restaurants charge a little more for their Grab / Panda menus so as to cover the high 30% delivery costs, or do grab/panda check up that prices are the same as the walk in prices?  i heard that they did...........

if they did it would make these apps unviable for my girlfriend, who is trying to sign up, but the apps seem essential at present times for food outlets to make money

23 hours ago, Bill97 said:

How much do they pay for delivery service? Percent of food cost?  Fixed price for distance zones?

Don't you know how internet works? If you use Foodpanda or GrabFood you get all the info you need for every restaurant. Most of the deliveries via GrabFood is free. When using Foodpanda the delivery starts from ฿10 depending on distance. 

6 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Did some checking and found that 2 of the delivery groups are quoted as charging 30 % !!!   That can't possibly be correct can it ???  They make more just by delivering than most restaurants make by buying, preparing and packaging .   Not to mention the cost of business and equipment set up, etc.   Is that ????  Can that ???  30% be correct???? 

I have heard the 30% for here and for Singapore and US also.  Possible to get it for less but 30 is a real number for it.  Agree it is stunningly high.

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Don't you know how internet works?

Of course not.  Bet you do not know either.

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Most of the deliveries via GrabFood is free.

Oh no they are not.  Somebody is paying for it for sure.

17 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Sounds reasonable.

Couple of people have started up in my moobaan, no other setup costs, they just cook the food in their home kitchen.

One Thai food supplier (50bht), one Kebab house (75bht).

There's always 2 or 3 Grab m/cs sitting outside the Kebab place.

COVID will drive everyone paying for dedicated premises out of business, and create a host of new home based food providers.

Time to change your business plan Gonzo, start selling your frozen food through Grab, cut your overheads, your restaurant is dead but not yet buried.

Edited by BritManToo

13 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Just been for my Brunch to one of my fav diners. In the 45 mins I was there they had over 6 Grab m/cycles arrive for take away and only one other sit down diner.

john

Excellent John continue on and report 5 times a day as your contract stipulates.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Just been for my Brunch to one of my fav diners. In the 45 mins I was there they had over 6 Grab m/cycles arrive for take away and only one other sit down diner.

john

Absoulately rivetting information to help the

O/P ????

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds reasonable.

Couple of people have started up in my moobaan, no other setup costs, they just cook the food in their home kitchen.

One Thai food supplier (50bht), one Kebab house (75bht).

There's always 2 or 3 Grab m/cs sitting outside the Kebab place.

COVID will drive everyone paying for dedicated premises out of business, and create a host of new home based food providers.

Time to change your business plan Gonzo, start selling your frozen food through Grab, cut your overheads, your restaurant is dead but not yet buried.

Actually I found PunPun Restaurant a very pleasant spaced out enjoyable place to relax and eat. I dont buy that these places will close. I like eating out. I dont believe I am alone in that. But Gonzo may need to focus more on social media marketing - and maybe find a cheaper delivery solution than Grab, as many others have done. Up to him!

• Like 1