Airmail is now available for some countries

croftrobin

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I hope from UK soon still waiting my new passport.

Even when they had a half decent system it didnt rely upon "airmail", DHL to (via Hong Kong) and from the UK as I recall, and it worked fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shocked said:

Why was it even stopped. Stupid Government.

Mail went out and came in on passenger flights so, since passenger flights have been stopped, no mail.

4 hours ago, asaldana said:

@croftrobin Could I have the link to the page from where you've gotten this information? Is it Thailand Post Website? Thank you.

They have reverted to the old information page, as my wife tried to send to Singapore on Monday morning and could not

The page is here. They update it when there is new imfo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view

Can't help you with Australia post.  However I am getting my monthly pension payment slip sent over from the UK, although it is taking approximately two more weeks to arrive than normal.  So you may be like me and your post is delayed. 

I have posted before about Thailand not sending OUT any mail out of the Kingdom, except by boat.  I still don't have a good answer why?  They (Post Office) just say "no airplanes".  However, my daughter mailed a package of OTC meds to me on 30 April 2020.  Today is the 20th of April 2020.  It arrived at my house here in Na Di Noi (Yasothon) today.  Mail is coming into the Kingdom.  The kicker is:  There has to be an airplane coming here.  So, my package (which cost $65.00) to mail sat in Taiwan until the 18th.  It then came into Bangkok, then thru Customs and then here to Yasothon.  Fortunately my daughter had US Post Office Tracking so I was able to see when/where it was at.  The Virus is a sad thing.

Post Office mail relies largely on passenger airlines of which there are few in/out of Thailand. Cargo/couriers have there own flights.

Other countries may be using multiple destinations to get it here and trying harder, than Thai post does to get it out of here thats for sure.

I wouldnt mind betting there is a mountain of paid for parcels sitting in swamppy on hold ! 

• Confused 1

Thai Post Office have a contract to only use Thai Airways for outgoing airmail, and as they've cut all international passenger flights (which carry belly cargo too) it means just nothing is going.  Thai don't have a stand alone cargo fleet AFAIK.

3 hours ago, Gary Maneval said:

I have posted before about Thailand not sending OUT any mail out of the Kingdom, except by boat.  I still don't have a good answer why?  They (Post Office) just say "no airplanes". 

The answer comes down to frequency and reliability of flights. Thailand Post has made the decision to terminate all airmail and SAL services unless they can guarantee that there will be sufficient capacity with sufficient frequency to handle the volume of packages they expect to receive for that country.

Incoming flights could be irregular, and other national postal services may have made the decision to try and continue operations under these conditions. But Thailand Post has specifically stated they will not open airmail services anywhere until they have guarantees of both regular and sufficient passenger airline routes to that country.

It is frustrating beyond belief, and I have complained to them many times that their position is unacceptable and that they need to do more, but they care nothing for my protests. I have asked them what discussions that are having at the UPU in the UN to overcome these issues. They don't respond with a useful answer.

Essentially, Thailand Post is not accepting airmail for most countries right now because they don't care. Yes, the shutdown of aviation is inconvenient. But they do not see international mail as a critical resource for the country, and would rather do nothing and just wait for the CAAT to fix the problems than do actual work developing alternative strategies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Monomial said:

t is frustrating beyond belief, and I have complained to them many times that their position is unacceptable and that they need to do more, but they care nothing for my protests. I have asked them what discussions that are having at the UPU in the UN to overcome these issues. They don't respond with a useful answer.

And who in Thai post were you asking this question. Unless very senior did you really think there was any point?

On 5/20/2020 at 11:07 AM, CharlieH said:

Post Office mail relies largely on passenger airlines of which there are few in/out of Thailand. Cargo/couriers have there own flights.

Other countries may be using multiple destinations to get it here and trying harder, than Thai post does to get it out of here thats for sure.

I wouldnt mind betting there is a mountain of paid for parcels sitting in swamppy on hold ! 

I would bet there actually are very few- all were returned to the sending post offices at start of April where the sender could choose wether to send surface if available for that country.

I know as we has about 200 packages returned that we had to resend!

Airmail was accepted today for korea, singapore and russia

Edited by croftrobin
correction spelling

Has anyone used the Courier Post option? It is some sort of collaboration between Thai Post and DHL, and the latest Thai Post info (20/5/2020) indicates the service is currently available for 107 countries, including the U.S.

I can't seem to get beyond this page -->  https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/article_detail/product/565/9150

Looking for the rate on 28 grams/letter, zone 5 (U.S.).

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Has anyone used the Courier Post option? It is some sort of collaboration between Thai Post and DHL, and the latest Thai Post info (20/5/2020) indicates the service is currently available for 107 countries, including the U.S.

I can't seem to get beyond this page -->  https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/article_detail/product/565/9150

Looking for the rate on 28 grams/letter, zone 5 (U.S.).

There is a rate calculator on the thaipost website choose destination , enter weight, select service  and done.

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There is a rate calculator on the thaipost website choose destination , enter weight, select service  and done.

Thank you.

I didn't scroll down far enough to see the Courier Post options.

990 baht.

I just received two packages from the UK.  One was a large (11x9 inch) and fairly heavy hardcover book.  It was shipped Royal Mail, Air Mail, and it took 23 days to arrive.  The second, a standard sized paperback book, was sent Royal Mail International Priority and arrived in 10 days.  Interesting they were delivered at the same time.