Thailand’s rainy season officially begins May 18th

webfact

Thailand’s rainy season officially begins May 18th

Rain.jpg

Thailand officially enters the rainy season Monday, said Meteorological Department director-general Squadron Leader Somsak Khaosuwan.

Citing a meteorological model, he said that the rainy season this year will last until mid-October. The rain will, initially, be scattered and will steadily increase from the end of May through mid-June, when rainfall will then taper off until the middle of July.

He said that there might not be enough water for farmland which has no access to irrigation between mid-June to mid-July adding, however, that there will be more rain during August and September, with the possibility of one or two tropical storms moving across Thailand.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-rainy-season-officially-begins-may-18th/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I would love to see a 10 year average for May to see if the day they saId it officially began is just a WAG or has any significance. It reminds me of people saying it's winter or summer or spring or fall because some old world calendar said it was. Wish there was a Farmers Almanac for Thailand.... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

The trouble with statistics like this is that there are at least 4 areas of Thailand that have totally different weather from each other, so it's very misleading...

True but they probably average the totals from all the areas for that graph.

I often find it funny that there'll be heavy rains and flooding in every province around Sa Kaeo, but not in Sa Kaeo itself for some reason. Or how sometimes it's pouring in Chon Buri, Laem Chabang and Rayong, but bone dry in Pattaya.
(Rode home from a "lunch" in Chon Buri last Fall. A deluge started just as we were leaving. Rained so hard we had to pull into a gas station because we couldn't see the road (but the cars and trucks were still flying along though). Turned at Laem Chabang and you could have jet skied in some areas. We had to ride on the far right side of the road to keep out exhaust pipes out of the water as the left side was knee deep in places. 
Got to around the highway 36 intersection, rain stopped.
Got home to the Darkside, everything was dry. Stepped off the bike and there were puddles every step I took. Neighbours told me it'd been clear skies and dry all day.)

And the North-West, North-East, Central and Southern regions do seem to have their own unique weather patterns. The Gulf seems to eat a lot of the storms so that stuff hitting the West Coast rarely crosses over to the "Eastern Seaboard" and visa-versa. (Insert science stuff about thermal currents and updraft and such.)
The North-East is fairly "flat" all the way to Laos while the North-West is more mountainous.

Always preferred the rains in Thailand though compared to the ones I used to endure back in Canada (BC). There, even in the middle of summer, when it rained the temperature would drop dramatically and the rain would last days. Never as hard as Thailand - but it would go on and on and on like it was never going to stop. Last summer (end of June) I was back there for a week. One day it was a nice 28 degrees during the day (dropping to 16/17 at night). Then it rained. Within a couple hours the temperature was down to 7 !!
And it lasted for nearly 3 days ! (I'm sure some of the mountains to the North-East of my "village" had fresh snow as well.)

Meanwhile in Thailand, there'll be a deluge that threatens to wash the whole place into the ocean, but an hour later the skies are blue and the roads are dry again (and the temperature rarely even dips at all) !
Love it !!

• Like 1

The weather bureau predictions on the weather are like "guessing how many fleas there are on a dog. They dont have a clue Ok i make a prediction see if i am right? 
The world is flat. Well before anybody says you are wrong and the world is not flat I was meaning to finish the sentence and say the world is flat broke after the virus lol Yesterday they predicted nice sunny day for Ubon and man we had a huge storm and lots rain  Close boys try again So what they were meant to say about ubon yesterday was Its a sunny day but it could rain  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I often find it funny that there'll be heavy rains and flooding in every province around Sa Kaeo, but not in Sa Kaeo itself for some reason. Or how sometimes it's pouring in Chon Buri, Laem Chabang and Rayong, but bone dry in Pattaya.

That's nothing. I remember once as a kid in London it rained on one side of my street and not the other ????

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's nothing. I remember once as a kid in London it rained on one side of my street and not the other ????

Raining at the House in California in the front and dry as a bone in the backyard, kids swimming in the sunshine.  It was like there was an invisible barrier the clouds never crossed.  Maybe because it was the daughters birthday party....lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Raining at the House in California in the front and dry as a bone in the backyard, kids swimming in the sunshine.  It was like there was an invisible barrier the clouds never crossed.  Maybe because it was the daughters birthday party....lol

I saw an invisible barrier once flying to the UK from Paris. Clear skies until we reached the coast. and then there was cloud covering the UK mainland as far as you could see, exactly as if there had been a barrier to keep the cloud in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand officially enters the rainy season Monday, said Meteorological Department director-general Squadron Leader Somsak Khaosuwan.

So does he draw two salaries????

• Haha 1

This monsoonal weather is not like cold and warm fronts.  The storms build up in one spot; let go; and may move a little.  This was the weather in the Southwest U.S. 'monsoon' season.  We lived on the slopes of the Huachuca Mtns. at 4500 feet with the highest point Miller's Peak at about 9500 feet.  I could stand in my yard and see up to five separate storms in Cochise County- Arizona.  Convection thunderstorms is all.

Whoop de do.

The Met office got it right for once.

Today is the 18th May and out here in rural Khampaeng Phet the rain started at 12.30 just as I was settling down for lunch. The temperature has dropped as well.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

May I have some extra rain in Nonthaburi this year pleasw?

Yes last year was quite dry if I remember at my condo near the MOPH.  Lived there from May 2019 to February this year before i relocated to my new abode here near Lumpini Park...

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

True but they probably average the totals from all the areas for that graph.

(Rode home from a "lunch" in Chon Buri last Fall. A deluge started just as we were leaving. Rained so hard we had to pull into a gas station because we couldn't see the road (but the cars and trucks were still flying along though). Turned at Laem Chabang and you could have jet skied in some areas. We had to ride on the far right side of the road to keep out exhaust pipes out of the water as the left side was knee deep in places. 
Got to around the highway 36 intersection, rain stopped.
Got home to the Darkside, everything was dry. Stepped off the bike and there were puddles every step I took. Neighbours told me it'd been clear skies and dry all day.)

And the North-West, North-East, Central and Southern regions do seem to have their own unique weather patterns. The Gulf seems to eat a lot of the storms so that stuff hitting the West Coast rarely crosses over to the "Eastern Seaboard" and visa-versa. (Insert science stuff about thermal currents and updraft and such.)
The North-East is fairly "flat" all the way to Laos while the North-West is more mountainous.

Always preferred the rains in Thailand though compared to the ones I used to endure back in Canada (BC). There, even in the middle of summer, when it rained the temperature would drop dramatically and the rain would last days. Never as hard as Thailand - but it would go on and on and on like it was never going to stop. Last summer (end of June) I was back there for a week. One day it was a nice 28 degrees during the day (dropping to 16/17 at night). Then it rained. Within a couple hours the temperature was down to 7 !!
And it lasted for nearly 3 days ! (I'm sure some of the mountains to the North-East of my "village" had fresh snow as well.)

Meanwhile in Thailand, there'll be a deluge that threatens to wash the whole place into the ocean, but an hour later the skies are blue and the roads are dry again (and the temperature rarely even dips at all) !
Love it !!

Rain? don't talk to my about rain, I'm from England lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

The trouble with statistics like this is that there are at least 4 areas of Thailand that have totally different weather from each other, so it's very misleading...

Try this site. You can choose you province

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/khao-kho-weather-averages/phetchabun/th.aspx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Whoop de do.

Today is the 18th May and out here in rural Khampaeng Phet the rain started at 12.30 just as I was settling down for lunch. The temperature has dropped as well.

Please send it Eastwards to Phitsanulok.

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That's not rain in the UK, that's a miserable, low life excuse for rain, a pathetic attempt at rain, a liberal, hand wringing weeping rain, that lasts for fxxxing years and makes you wet even just looking at it. I hate the UK weather.  The rain in LOS is massive and spectacular, for a short time and then it dries out, real macho rain, in your face rain, big guns rain, that also makes you wet just looking at it, but for a different reason.   

I was thinking more about kerry's British Colombian rain, I like Thailand's rainy season mostly...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

mean_monthly_rainfall.gif.a0ee6528b1c668a43ce521d47a2b794d.gif

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/climate.php?FileID=7

I'm not sure what crystal ball or fortune teller they are using to predict no water from mid-June to mid-July, but it could have something to do with the periodic El Nino/La Nina weather cycles in the Pacific which can cause increased/decreased storms in S.E. Asia (as well as the effect they have on North/Central America).

During El Nino cycles, there are normally fewer storms (and thus less rain) in the Western Pacific as the warm water shifts to the East. It is the reverse during La Nina cycles.
La Nina cycles average about 4 years, but can be as short as 2 years and as long as 7.

And I have no idea if we are currently in an "El Nino" or a "La Nina" cycle right now but one would hope the people predicting the weather would know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Niño#Effects_on_the_global_climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Niña

We are currently idling away in a neutral cycle.  Temperatures drifted towards a weak El Nino system in January but have drifted back to being between cycles.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Whoop de do.

It only lasted 30 minutes and then went away.

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Please send it Eastwards to Phitsanulok.

It's real close. Humongous rains in Phetchabun today. I have found the forecasts they make about the start & end of the rainy season each year to be very accurate and useful.

Drizzled in my part of Bangkok from 4 am to 6 am, thought it might continue and pour as the dark clouds were thick, went for my run in Lumpini Park expecting to get soaked, but they just rolled over the top....sigh

11 hours ago, canopy said:

It's real close. Humongous rains in Phetchabun today. I have found the forecasts they make about the start & end of the rainy season each year to be very accurate and useful.

Yep, it took it's time but got here last night. Thank you.