Footballers doing carnivore

UbonThani

I started swimming when I was 6 and am now in my 70's.
My daughter started swimming from when she was 3 months old.

I used to do competition swimming ( UK and international for school / college ), river and sea swimming from when I was around 10.   When I moved to Australia I took up body surfing.

My daughter also swam regularly in competitions.

The training is intensive if one is still in full time education, pool up to 2 or 3 kilometres each time.

Both my daughter and I noticed that, when our diets changed from a meat and two veg to a vegetarian / vegan diet we lost the aggression required for short distance competition events but, for long distance races or treading water waiting for a wave we had more stamina.    Why ? i understand the aggression bit for a meat based diet but not the stamina for a meatless diet, any ideas ?   Perhaps it's a mind thing too ?

• 8 months later...

I have been on a loose "carnivore" nutritional plan now for about 3 months and love it! 

As a cyclist, when I first moved to Thailand, many of my fellow cyclists were Vegans and I tried to embrace it.  It was hugely popular and there were dozens and dozen Vegan restaurants in Chiang Mai that are a testament to its' popularity.

The thing is, over time, I not only did not see any real-world benefits to it but actually noticed a lot of negative things about it, and probably the most noticeable was that the excessive amount of carbs you eat as a Vegan results in some pretty nasty effects on your metabolism IMO.

If you listen to Vegan "gurus", being a Vegan is supposed to be incredibly healthy to your metabolism in terms of avoiding unhealthy weight gain, but I found exactly the opposite to be true.  What's more, I just felt pretty crappy eating that way, and although some vegan meals are pretty tasty, overall most are not.

I abandoned Veganism a year ago and started focusing on lowering carbohydrates from my diet and almost immediately felt better...WITHOUT a sacrifice to energy levels.  This was contrary to what most cyclist thing.  Most cyclists and other athletes still cling to the unfounded belief that you need loads of carbs in your diet to perform competitively in sports.  Well, that is simply not true!

I no longer use things like energy gels and power bars when I ride.  I no longer eat carb-rich in preparation for a long or arduous ride...and I do as well if not far better, performance-wise than when I was practicing carb-loading as a Vegan rider.

So, long story short, up until a few months ago I was keeping my daily dietary carb intake to around 50 grams per day which is quite low, but then I decided to go further, and cut my carbs down to almost zero by going carnivore...and guess what?  I felt amazing!

Like any major nutritional change, there's a period of adjustment.  For me, it was about three weeks of feeling hungry, most of which was simply psychological (I missed the tastiness of carbs).  But after that I was just fine.

Most people simply believe that carbs are an essential part of a good diet, and they simply are not!  All of the valid medical studies have proven that.  There is nothing unhealthy about adapting a carnivore style diet.  All the talk about meats, and other high fat foods being bad for your is simply false and medical science has now definitely proved this to be true

The level of carbs in your diet depends on the individual.  Some people will need some carbs (simply for the psychological sense of well-being); some will not.  The fact is though, the body does not need dietary carbohydrates at all because it can actually manufacture all of the glycogen it needs without them; the body is a remarkable machine when it comes to how metabolism works!

Only YOU can determine the level of carbs that makes you feel best, but if you're really interested in optimizing your metabolic health, it's worth experimenting with lower and lower levels of carbs in your diet and allowing your body to acclimate so you can really find the ideal level.  You owe it to yourself to explore cutting down carbs as low as you can, and find for yourself whether carnivore style eating works for you or not.

Edited by WaveHunter

14 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I have been on a loose "carnivore" nutritional plan now for about 3 months and love it! 

As a cyclist, when I first moved to Thailand, many of my fellow cyclists were Vegans and I tried to embrace it.  It was hugely popular and there were dozens and dozen Vegan restaurants in Chiang Mai that are a testament to its' popularity.

The thing is, over time, I not only did not see any real-world benefits to it but actually noticed a lot of negative things about it, and probably the most noticeable was that the excessive amount of carbs you eat as a Vegan results in some pretty nasty effects on your metabolism IMO.

If you listen to Vegan "gurus", being a Vegan is supposed to be incredibly healthy to your metabolism in terms of avoiding unhealthy weight gain, but I found exactly the opposite to be true.  What's more, I just felt pretty crappy eating that way, and although some vegan meals are pretty tasty, overall most are not.

I abandoned Veganism a year ago and started focusing on lowering carbohydrates from my diet and almost immediately felt better...WITHOUT a sacrifice to energy levels.  This was contrary to what most cyclist thing.  Most cyclists and other athletes still cling to the unfounded belief that you need loads of carbs in your diet to perform competitively in sports.  Well, that is simply not true!

I no longer use things like energy gels and power bars when I ride.  I no longer eat carb-rich in preparation for a long or arduous ride...and I do as well if not far better, performance-wise than when I was practicing carb-loading as a Vegan rider.

So, long story short, up until a few months ago I was keeping my daily dietary carb intake to around 50 grams per day which is quite low, but then I decided to go further, and cut my carbs down to almost zero by going carnivore...and guess what?  I felt amazing!

Like any major nutritional change, there's a period of adjustment.  For me, it was about three weeks of feeling hungry, most of which was simply psychological (I missed the tastiness of carbs).  But after that I was just fine.

Most people simply believe that carbs are an essential part of a good diet, and they simply are not!  All of the valid medical studies have proven that.  There is nothing unhealthy about adapting a carnivore style diet.  All the talk about meats, and other high fat foods being bad for your is simply false and medical science has now definitely proved this to be true

The level of carbs in your diet depends on the individual.  Some people will need some carbs (simply for the psychological sense of well-being); some will not.  The fact is though, the body does not need dietary carbohydrates at all because it can actually manufacture all of the glycogen it needs without them; the body is a remarkable machine when it comes to how metabolism works!

Only YOU can determine the level of carbs that makes you feel best, but if you're really interested in optimizing your metabolic health, it's worth experimenting with lower and lower levels of carbs in your diet and allowing your body to acclimate so you can really find the ideal level.  You owe it to yourself to explore cutting down carbs as low as you can, and find for yourself whether carnivore style eating works for you or not.

Never too late to reply.    Thanks WaveHunter for your detailed observations and responses and thankyou for at least trying an alternative diet ( none or lower meat based diet ).

Most people change to a vegan diet because of their views on intensive livestock farming methods.    I was involved in farming since I was 15 until I reached 65, most of it in other countries as a lecturer and hands-on consultant and with various types of farming.   

Some will mark me as a hypocrite once I became vegetarian and vegan but still worked in farming, had I had a different career then that would have been more acceptable to others.     I excused myself regarding this in that I taught livestock farmers ( mainly duck and chicken including here in Thailand ) to be more considerate of the wellbeing of their animals be this by spending a little money on improving housing but also feeding etc.   This produced a more healthy animal, improved quality and growth and reduced medication costs.  The farmer having more to sell and most times a better quality product.

One thing I will admit to now ( in my 70's ) is that following a stroke complicated by Rab ( almost total loss of muscle etc ) some 3 years later I am finding it harder to maintain muscle.     I eat less so have to find high protein foods such jackfruit seeds and chickpea ( tahini or hummus ), and yes they taste good too.    I still exercise, unfortunately no decent swimming pool where I live, but I do walking and various yoga floor exercises.    

Perhaps once you settle in to a suitable diet for yourself you can occasionally challenge it in order to reduce your animal products intake.

As with most things in life variety is the key.....everything is bad for you in the wrong amounts....and good for you in the right amounts........I am not a vegetarian, but rarely eat meat......I enjoy alcohol, but go months without a drink....I exercise, but not to the point of exhaustion or injury......none of this is rocket science......setting your stall out to do just one thing...like eating  nothing but ****** is mental.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Never too late to reply.    Thanks WaveHunter for your detailed observations and responses and thankyou for at least trying an alternative diet ( none or lower meat based diet ).

Most people change to a vegan diet because of their views on intensive livestock farming methods.    I was involved in farming since I was 15 until I reached 65, most of it in other countries as a lecturer and hands-on consultant and with various types of farming.   

Some will mark me as a hypocrite once I became vegetarian and vegan but still worked in farming, had I had a different career then that would have been more acceptable to others.     I excused myself regarding this in that I taught livestock farmers ( mainly duck and chicken including here in Thailand ) to be more considerate of the wellbeing of their animals be this by spending a little money on improving housing but also feeding etc.   This produced a more healthy animal, improved quality and growth and reduced medication costs.  The farmer having more to sell and most times a better quality product.

One thing I will admit to now ( in my 70's ) is that following a stroke complicated by Rab ( almost total loss of muscle etc ) some 3 years later I am finding it harder to maintain muscle.     I eat less so have to find high protein foods such jackfruit seeds and chickpea ( tahini or hummus ), and yes they taste good too.    I still exercise, unfortunately no decent swimming pool where I live, but I do walking and various yoga floor exercises.    

Perhaps once you settle in to a suitable diet for yourself you can occasionally challenge it in order to reduce your animal products intake.

Life's a journey I think.  You try new things and see what benefits you and what does not.  For me, I have gradually come to the conclusion that carbohydrates has a negative effect on my physical health.  I did much better when I cut carbs significantly, and then, even better when I more or less cut them down to close to zero.  That's just me.

I'm not saying I NEVER consume carbs.  In fact I allow myself to go a little crazy once in a while with a trip to McDonalds or nice big pizza pie, but those are exceptions, not the rule.

Again, as I stated before, all of the views that fatty meats and and other fat-rich foods  that are high in cholesterol are bad for you is just not true.  There has been a lot of truly science-based studies from unbiased sources that indicate this. 

Cholesterol found in foods like red meats and eggs, for instance has a very small amount of cholesterol, compared to what the human body naturally produces on a daily basis in a healthy person.  So, if you were to eat red meat and eggs every day, that, in itself does not make you any more susceptible to metabolic related disease such as cardiac conditions, diabetes, or fatty liver.  Excessive carbohydrates, on the other hand does.

Just my 2 cents worth, but my view is soundly backed up by objective, unbiased science.

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

As with most things in life variety is the key.....everything is bad for you in the wrong amounts....and good for you in the right amounts........I am not a vegetarian, but rarely eat meat......I enjoy alcohol, but go months without a drink....I exercise, but not to the point of exhaustion or injury......none of this is rocket science......setting your stall out to do just one thing...like eating  nothing but ****** is mental.

Yes, I agree that variety is "A" key to good nutritional health, but I don't think it is "THE" key. 

All I am saying is that there are a lot of unfounded myths about foods.  The simple truth is that of the three macronutrients, only fats and protein are considered "essential" in the diet for metabolic health.  The third macronutrient, carbohydrates (which the body converts into glycogen), are not essential because the human body can produce all the glycogen it needs on its' own through a process called gluconeogenesis.  

In other words, carbohydrates are entirely unnecessary for a healthy state in human.

In most obese people, they get that way, not due to fat in their diet or lack of exercise, but simply from too many carbs.

One of the most prevalent myths is that fatty foods like red meat and eggs, for example, are bad for you and will lead to obesity, heart attacks, diabetes, etc.  In fact, those ideas have no real science-based clinical data to back them up.  Eating fat does NOT make you sick and it does not make you fat; it is a myth with no underlying science.

I know there are plenty of "studies" that support the notion that people should eat a Low-Fat diet, and organizations like the American Heart Association, et al support this view, but when you really look at the underlying studies that support this view, almost all of them are majorly flawed studies, and there is not a single one that proves this notion with hard, science-based clinical data (as in double-blind placebo lab studies)...not a single one!

Major fallacies also exist with respect to carbohydrates.  If you look at the food pyramid from not too long ago, carbs were considered the foundation of a healthy diet.  Today it's known that excessive carbs are the primary driving factor for the development of Diabetes type 2, and yet still the American Diabetes Association will not acknowledge this in spite of overwhelming evidence. 

Rather than promote proper nutrition as a way to control and avoid, and even reverse D-type 2, they firmly state that D type 2 is a chronic condition for which there is no cure and the only option is eventually the use of insulin injections!

The proven fact is that if nutritional steps to sharply reduce carbohydrates are taken early enough, many people that are pre-diabetic or even fully diabetic can not only control the syndrome but even reverse it.  Contrarily, once a patients starts insulin injections, all they can do is get worse over time.  Insulin may relieve the immediate symptoms but in fact it is exacerbating the underlying cause.  It's like putting a band-aid on an infected would; it may make the symptoms feel better but is not addressing the underlying cause at all.

A variety of foods is not going to fix issues related to metabolic syndromes, even if the variety is all "healthy" foods...not if carbohydrates are the underlying cause...and for most obese people today, carbs are the reason, clear and simple.

My view (and it's just my personal take on things) is that, yes, variety is important, and there is nothing wrong with an occasional foray to McDonalds or your favorite pizza parlor, but they should be occasional treats, not the rule.  And most importantly, I think the vast majority of the population eats far too many carbs, and worse, most of those carbs come from heavily processed foods which are fortified with dangerous types of carbs like high fructose corn syrup. 

It's no wonder there is an epidemic today of obesity and diabetes type 2...in children!  As little as twenty years ago, Diabetes type-2 in children was unheard of; today it is an epidemic!

Food for thought ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yes, I agree that variety is "A" key to good nutritional health, but I don't think it is "THE" key. 

All I am saying is that there are a lot of unfounded myths about foods.  The simple truth is that of the three macronutrients, only fats and protein are considered "essential" in the diet for metabolic health.  The third macronutrient, carbohydrates (which the body converts into glycogen), are not essential because the human body can produce all the glycogen it needs on its' own through a process called gluconeogenesis.  

In most obese people, they get that way, not due to fat in their diet or lack of exercise, but simply from too many carbs.

One of the most prevalent myths is that fatty foods like red meat and eggs, for example, are bad for you and will lead to heart attacks, diabetes, etc.  In fact, those ideas have no real science-based clinical data to back them up.

I know there are plenty of "studies" that support the notion that people should eat a Low-Fat diet, and organizations like the American Heart Association, et al support this view, but when you really look at the underlying studies that support this view, almost all of them are majorly flawed studies, and there is not a single one that proves this notion with hard, science-based clinical data (as in double-blind placebo lab studies)...not a single one!

Major fallacies also exist with respect to carbohydrates.  If you look at the food pyramid from not too long ago, carbs were considered the foundation of a healthy diet.  Today it's known that excessive carbs are the primary driving factor for the development of Diabetes type 2, and yet still the American Diabetes Association will not acknowledge this in spite of overwhelming evidence. 

Rather than promote proper nutrition as a way to control and avoid, and even reverse D-type 2, they firmly state that D type 2 is a chronic condition for which there is no cure and the only option is eventually the use of insulin injections!

The proven fact is that if nutritional steps to sharply reduce carbohydrates are taken early enough, many people that are pre-diabetic or even fully diabetic can not only control the syndrome but even reverse it.  Contrarily, once a patients starts insulin injections, all they can do is get worse over time.  Insulin may relieve the immediate symptoms but in fact it is exacerbating the underlying cause.  It's like putting a band-aid on an infected would; it may make the symptoms feel better but is not addressing the underlying cause at all.

A variety of foods is not going to fix issues related to metabolic syndromes, even if the variety is all "healthy" foods...not if carbohydrates are the underlying cause...and for most obese people today, carbs are the reason, clear and simple.

My view (and it's just my personal take on things) is that, yes, variety is important, and there is nothing wrong with an occasional foray to McDonalds or your favorite pizza parlor, but they should be occasional treats, not the rule.  And most importantly, I think the vast majority of the population eats far too many carbs, and worse, most of those carbs come from heavily processed foods which are fortified with dangerous types of carbs like high fructose corn syrup. 

It's no wonder there is an epidemic today of obesity and diabetes type 2...in children!  As little as twenty years ago, Diabetes type-2 in children was unheard of; today it is an epidemic!

Food for thought ????

Thanks for that....very interesting ......genuinely....not being sarcastic!

13 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Thanks for that....very interesting ......genuinely....not being sarcastic!

Well, my sincere thanks for saying that...really! ???? 

Just to be clear to anyone thinking I'm trying to be a wise *ss, I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all.  I've gotten a lot of things wrong over the years but I've always believed in not simply accepting the status-quo because my doctor says it's so, or major health organizations take a stance...unless it can be proven that underlying science truly supports it.

I hate to say it but you just can not trust what you hear in the media or even from your own doctor these days.  If the proponents of low fat nutrition were right, then there would not be an epidemic of obesity and diabetes type-2 IN CHILDREN today, when that was unheard of twenty years ago.

You really have to do your own research and experiment on yourself to find what works best for YOU and your loved ones.

All I'm trying to do when I post these admittedly overly wordy posts is get others to not simply accept what I or anyone else tells them, but instead to go and do their own research and come up with your own conclusion...easier said than done, but ultimately worth the effort.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1