Here’s what it is like to visit a shopping mall in Thailand during COVID-19

webfact

1 minute ago, Susco said:

I would have thought that someone bragging about being an expert and having a truckload of Cisco certificates, would be smart enough to look at the image info, and discover that it was originally taken from an online source.

Stadtler methinks Susco doth protesteth too much.  You don't have to be embarrassed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

When this become common knowledge, many will hesitate to visit any mall. At the entrance is expected, but also at all shops? Too much.

I was at Big C in Central Marina....had to do the song and dance at the entrance but after that, the only stop was to sanitize hands before going into Big C...I am not knowledgeable of the guidance enough to comment on if Central Marina is being lax or if other malls are stepping it up. 

1 minute ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

had to do the song and dance at the entrance

First pushups by the nutty police and now this ... when will it stop?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, samsensam said:

so true, when dating i often ask a girl to take me somewhere interesting in bangkok, something a foreigner might never see, a favourite or special place. invariably all they want to do is go to a mall, thats the limit of their imagination, and to be honest they usually get dumped at that point, i simply cant bear wandering aimlessly round shopping malls......

When it's too too hot outside I like to use the malls to get my 10k daily walk.

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

In 2 words............................A joke !

In 2 letters BS

Try going to some other countries, lets say England as an example... only one person can go shopping in some stores [you can't go in with your partner] to browse around.

Numbers of customers within premises is strictly monitored at all times with queuing outside waiting for you to be allowed in.

Many offices and facilities will only conduct business via email or phone, or making appointments, they will not allow you to go in person on a walk in basis.

You say Thailand is a joke.. but you do have your freedom !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, adammike said:

When it's too too hot outside I like to use the malls to get my 10k daily walk.

"When it's too too hot outside I like to use the malls to get my 10k daily walk."

When too hot outside, I much prefer to do my daily 10k walk at home, on my treadmill with the A/C turned on, watching something interesting on the wall-mounted entertainment system than wandering aimlessly around a mall.

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Why is it a joke, the same procedure was taking place at Makro this morning?

Your suggestion as a Public Health Expert is ?

Well you know it’s kind of comical what’s going on now because it was literally easier to get inside the mall a few weeks ago than it is now ????. Now you apparently have to sign in with your name and phone number at the door and during the so called lockdown before they just shuttled us in the back way to maintain crowd control. Now there are lines to get in the mall during the lockdown it was actually easier to go to the mall. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, david555 said:

if you do not have credit or data credit on the number you use for QR scanning, the website gives notice : "website not available " , so finally those on guard on entrance give up and let me in after another temperature scanning …… that is how it worked for me at Big C , :biggrin: 

I have 2 numbers on smartphone, one always credit empty as it eat any money...., even loaded in very short time it eat my credit even not using to call , a real mistery AIS people can not find why even , so I only load once a year 100 baht  to keep the line open for 1 year, for  receiving only , other number for calling , that one keeps the money at normal rate …

there is a code you put in your phone and it stops the funny deductions by AIS . google it. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, samsensam said:

so true, when dating i often ask a girl to take me somewhere interesting in bangkok, something a foreigner might never see, a favourite or special place. invariably all they want to do is go to a mall, thats the limit of their imagination, and to be honest they usually get dumped at that point, i simply cant bear wandering aimlessly round shopping malls......

The first 'date' I took my now Thai wife on was to Bangkok Zoo. A calm , quiet oasis with lots of entertainment and good value. She was totally bemused but strung along with the experience. She admitted to enjoying the day; 'the most exciting day of my life' she said.

But that was shortly after I asked her how much the condos overlooking the zoo were and replied to the number she gave me with...'That's ok, not too expensive'.

10 years later and never been anywhere else other than a restaurant or mall!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I don't need any mall anymore, all I order at Lazada.

I have found Lazada to be both efficient and good value. Unfortunately they sometimes have a problem accepting UK credit and debit cards.

If you really wanna know what it’s like to visit a mall right now than try it in person. I have 3 videos at my local mall from the last 6 weeks including yesterday at Tesco and it was actually easier to go to the mall during the lockdown than it is now. Although I think there was only a line because it had just opened yesterday morning so it still might be ok here. We passed by the mall yesterday but we haven’t been inside the mall since a week ago. I saw a small line outside the mall yesterday but probably just because it was only 10AM. We were in the big Tesco yesterday though and they do make you sign in we just scribbled something on the paper and went about our business. Last time we were at the mall they were not making people sign in but they definitely control how many people can go inside the mall at a time but not many people are going to the mall anyway right now. Over the last few months the mall crowds have been really small here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

I have found Lazada to be both efficient and good value. Unfortunately they sometimes have a problem accepting UK credit and debit cards.

You know I bought 3 big expensive things at our local mall over the last 6 weeks! No problem at all. 

Not sure if the photo is from Hua Hin. But take note: No social distancing. Guard is not wearing gloves nor an N95 mask. Plastic face shield--good! Woman at rear has her hands on the table where she's signing a register touched by hundreds already and likely using the same pen.

I don't have QR. Pretty happy at home...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fling said:

Well you know it’s kind of comical what’s going on now because it was literally easier to get inside the mall a few weeks ago than it is now

Exactly.

Now they manage to build queues and crowds at Tesco and Makro as I experienced today.

Check in, check out.

All for useless waste paper.

Who will ever be capable to make use of these handwritten endless lists?

Everyone is free to write whatever he wants.

No plausibility, no consistency.

Different shops, different handling.

Global Home: only temperature check.

Two 7/11: nothing (less than before).

Food court at Tesco: about 30% of former seating capacity.

No cutlery tray, no self service for spices etc.

You are handed spoon/fork and these wasteful little plastic bags with spices.

No paper towels in sight!

Next point on checklist: never enter without your own towels.

All in all an experience I can abstain from.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Call yourself happy.

Two weeks ago I came back from Khon Kaen.

Daughter jumped out with alcohol spray.

Applied on clothes and hands.

Last week came back from Udon Thani.

Wife insisted on changing clothes immediately.

Off to the bathroom.

I read somewhere that Thai people are the most Covid anxious in the world.

The rulers know how to keep them under control.

I read that report, but I think you misinterpreted the meaning. Yes, Thais are anxious, but due to various reasons. Still, they are certainly over the top fearful, but not any more than Filipinos or Chinese from what I gather. More than farang - absolutely.

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

In 2 letters BS

Try going to some other countries, lets say England as an example... only one person can go shopping in some stores [you can't go in with your partner] to browse around.

Numbers of customers within premises is strictly monitored at all times with queuing outside waiting for you to be allowed in.

Many offices and facilities will only conduct business via email or phone, or making appointments, they will not allow you to go in person on a walk in basis.

You say Thailand is a joke.. but you do have your freedom !

Thailand has freedom? LOL!! Granted, out in the sticks, it's still pretty OK...just avoid all supermarkets and malls.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, mr mr said:

only boring people say stupid things like that. you're way off about nothing to do in bkk. this city regardless of its faults is incredible. i constantly find new places and am amazed by new neighborhoods. how unique some of them are is wonderful. there is so little to do here in fact that it is in the top 5 cities in the world for tourism. 

so millions are wrong and internet guy is right. got it. 

Without the nightlife scene, Bangkok becomes incredibly boring after you've done the ubiquitous grand palace, walked around Khao San and done a river cruise. Not sure what is so exciting about Bangkok. Even your average traveler can't find any reason to spend more than a night or two in transit to the beaches or Chiang Mai, or Cambodia or Vietnam.

4 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Thailand has freedom? LOL!! Granted, out in the sticks, it's still pretty OK...just avoid all supermarkets and malls.

maybe Thailand has freedom out in the sticks... but that's where they grow all the produce that supplies the supermarkets, malls and distributors to keep the non-producing city dwellers fed!

If they locked down the "sticks" the office wallers of Bangkok would have starved, your food does not come from supermarkets... it comes from farms!

12 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yes, Thais are anxious, but due to various reasons.

Yesterday I received some herbal supplements from USA.

Was 15 days on the way.

When I told my wife that it is from USA she looked at me like I had imported nuclear waste.

How can you do???

Now!

So much Covid in USA.

:crying:

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Woman at rear has her hands on the table where she's signing a register touched by hundreds already and likely using the same pen.

After everybody has already sanitized their hands and then sanitized them again after the pen use....

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Stadtler said:

How is that working out for you, lately?

for me ? i am retired at 43. live rent free. have a property back home. loads of investments. other than the stupid nonsense happening with this plandemic things are working out quite well for me. 

ask me again in a couple years when we live in a dystopian dream world where you scan to do anything in life.

• Like 1

A royal pain in the <deleted>, sign in as you enter the mall, sign into the shops ( each shop) no sign out so it's just another charade. A couple of the smarter restaurants seat you first and bring the sign in sheet to the table rather than doing contortions over a table built for midgets.  Just put in some jibberish and smile...I had to laugh when my daughter and I walked into a restaurant holding hands then they tried to make us distance at the table.... That's not the rule but anyway I just give em my best go to hell look. More total and complete lunacy...

• Like 1

it's too late.
People literally hand over their data to the government, or maybe a private company.
They've been made to believe it's for their own safety, and they don't realize it's for surveillance.

We are getting closer and closer to a dystopian society. 

3 hours ago, Greg O said:

A royal pain in the <deleted>, sign in as you enter the mall, sign into the shops ( each shop) no sign out so it's just another charade. A couple of the smarter restaurants seat you first and bring the sign in sheet to the table rather than doing contortions over a table built for midgets.  Just put in some jibberish and smile...I had to laugh when my daughter and I walked into a restaurant holding hands then they tried to make us distance at the table.... That's not the rule but anyway I just give em my best go to hell look. More total and complete lunacy...

Why would you want to sign out of each shop? The data being collected is the date and time you entered the shop, not how long you spent there. When you clocked in at the next shop it's obvious that you'd already left the previous shop. Think of contact tracing as a join-the-dots puzzle.

Nice to see you're doing your bit anyway.

51 minutes ago, zhounan said:

it's too late.
People literally hand over their data to the government, or maybe a private company.
They've been made to believe it's for their own safety, and they don't realize it's for surveillance.

We are getting closer and closer to a dystopian society. 

Or you can refuse to QR code or give a bogus name and number. You know, thumb your nose and delay the advent of this mythical big brother.