Here’s what it is like to visit a shopping mall in Thailand during COVID-19

webfact

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

When you clocked in at the next shop it's obvious that you'd already left the previous shop.

So, if a person is assumed to be in the location until they clock in at the next place, I've been at Tesco Lotus near Ladprao since yesterday afternoon (they didn't have a sign-out sheet and I haven't yet gone to another place where I have to sign in). Still there. How will that work if someone gets flagged at that location today?

Edited by JCP108
  • Haha 1

If you've ever looked at restaurant reviews or such in google maps, you've noticed the 'usually busy this time' charts. They already know how long you spend in each place, not just with GPS but through google's massive database of wifi signal locations.

It's evil farang corporations that will have the useful data. Which is why it'll never work in Thailand as they must always reinvent the wheel and it comes out square.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JCP108 said:

So, if a person is assumed to be in the location until they clock in at the next place, I've been at Tesco Lotus near Ladprao since yesterday afternoon (they didn't have a sign-out sheet and I haven't yet gone to another place where I have to sign in). Still there. How will that work if someone gets flagged at that location today?

Now you are being obtuse. Nobody hangs out at a Tesco Lotus overnight.

It's still a fairly precise record of somewhere you have been and a time stamp of when you were there. That's the fundamentals of contact tracing.

I bet you were rubbish at join-the-dots puzzles as a kid as well.

Or you can do as I did yesterday at Central Chaeng Wattana; I waved them off and walked in without producing a phone nor writing any information on a paper.

Stop submitting to paper tyrants.

• Like 1

I also, did not honor or use a QR code in any bank or store I entered.  There was hardly anyone in the mall yesterday and it was a complete waste of time which I ignored justly.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Now you are being obtuse. Nobody hangs out at a Tesco Lotus overnight.

It's still a fairly precise record of somewhere you have been and a time stamp of when you were there. That's the fundamentals of contact tracing.

I bet you were rubbish at join-the-dots puzzles as a kid as well.

Those who try to connect the dots in this forum get daily abuse. 

So, you are saying that I can safely rely on the governmental oversight response if someone tests positive at a place where I have checked in (but not out) will be logical and reasonable. Good to know. I can relax. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Fundamentals of data gathering maybe, but another very important aspect is the speed of it. By the time they digitize the logs (never), the outbreak is already months old. It's lip service.

One thing that could work would be a guard with a scanning app at the ingress/egress. Scan IDs or passports, the phone number connected to it is available in the SIM card database, civil registry or immigration data. Feed it all to a central database and use big data to identify hotspots. Can't rely on common Thais to do anything. A real-time TM30 system for all in essence.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-how-to-do-testing-and-contact-tracing-bde85b64072e

0*GNQf6oaKSBrn2AZ3

Edited by DrTuner

9 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I signed in 3 times yesterday at Tesco just scribble something down and go about your business. 

4 minutes ago, Fling said:

I signed in 3 times yesterday at Tesco just scribble something down and go about your business. 

I waved off the paid lookers and went shopping.  I don't like to cooperate.

1 hour ago, Stadtler said:

I waved off the paid lookers and went shopping.  I don't like to cooperate.

I almost did the same thing but my wife noticed the sign in sheet as we were walking away so I just did it. But when I noticed that they were asking for phone numbers I quickly changed my mind and didn’t cooperate I just scribbled on the sign in sheet and went about our business next time I’m not even going to stop. I’ll stop for the quick temperature check but that’s it. I’m also going to start ditching the masks when going inside a store by July NLT. 

On 5/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, KhunBENQ said:

So useless.

They register that you have entered a big mall with maybe some hundreds of other people.

Then they find Covid infected Mr.X. has been there (during some timespan of hours?).

And then? Inform hundreds of customers: Mr.X. has been there.

And then? Hundreds to quarantine or what?

Real useful methods can be studied elsewhere.

Mobile app using Bluetooth function to actually trace if an infected was CLOSE to you.

Exactly, it could be thousands of people over the course of a day. Who is going to ring all these pizza shops sorry people.

22 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Those who try to connect the dots in this forum get daily abuse. 

So, you are saying that I can safely rely on the governmental oversight response if someone tests positive at a place where I have checked in (but not out) will be logical and reasonable. Good to know. I can relax. 

Yes, relax and stop overthinking about how it works or why it works or whether it will ever work at all. Either QR code, sign the book (with your own pen) and get on with your life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Exactly, it could be thousands of people over the course of a day. Who is going to ring all these pizza shops sorry people.

Oh dear... ringing up people? I guess the wonders of mobile phone technology hasn't been fully grasped by some of the 'land-liners' among us who may also have missed out on commercial SMS messaging. There are a whole lot of nations and states with natural disaster early warning systems that can blanket-alert millions of people in an instant about an earthquake, tsunami, etc. Nobody starts calling people except in Hollywood disaster movies. Sending instant messages simultaneously to several thousand mobile phone subscribers should take maybe 300 nanoseconds.

Ringing up people?... LOL