Thai hoteliers appeal to PM for help after major tour group fails to pay up 2 billion baht for trips

webfact

31 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Deal with it! Most of us are in the same situation. Why should they pay if nobody was staying... Idiodic to think otherwise. They clearly have to pay their customers back. Its the right thing to do you greedy pigs. 

Yes and no.  If governments forced businesses to close, they should pay to keep them "in business" until they allow them to re-open. 

The company in question got a bailout - not sure what expenses that was supposed to cover - just employees in Europe, or ?? 

To the extent any country involved cut the business off from doing business - whether Thailand or foreign - they should pay at least enough the hotels are not forced into bankruptcy. 

• Like 1

Never mind greedy hotels.

I saw a sight this morning on BBC news about a brewery in South Africa that would bring tears to your eyes.

They had to destroy $20 million of beer because of the cigarette and alcohol ban there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I edited this as I have done a bit of research and it appears TUI is in big trouble.

May 11th - Announced measures to curb COVID-19 transmission when things get back to normal

May 12th - No travel until 12th June 2020

May 12th - Announced 8000 job cuts

May 15th - Critical travel advice issued including refund credits with bonus incentive or cash refund

May 16th - TUI announce doctor's notes required for refunds

May 18th - Thai hoteliers appeal for help after being stiffed

I wouldn't hold my breath for payment if I was a Thai hotelier. It's going to get very interesting how bad this crisis is going to be for the Thai tourism industry. Personally I think everyone is underestimating the situation... this is like an apocalypse for tourism and that is 20% or so of Thai GDP.

It is going to be as bad as only possible. 
p.s. I wonder if the billion bahts donations made by Western lovers to their Thai gfs are somehow included in those 20% number. If not - then the real number should be much higher.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 2