Thai hoteliers appeal to PM for help after major tour group fails to pay up 2 billion baht for trips

webfact

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Actually i think this relates to customers who DID stay in Thai hotels in the first quarter. So TUI have been paid but won't pass the money on to the Thai hotels. Terrible sharp practice.

Yes that's how I understood reports from Germany.Tui like many is in trouble, however a contract may be enforceable, if we thinj back to the abandoned 1997 projects or teh Saxona debacle.

Of course should, if when any firm becomes insolvent especially in a different jurisdiction it becomes hard to "get blood out of a stone".

There seems to be a resentment by some here against Thai hoteliers inwith  my experience provide excellent comfort and value compared to many other places, albeit with some safety issues.I recall a 4 star resort where 2 bare wires 3 m of ground hung above a bathroom mirror , of course having living here many years was unsurprised.

The real issue is Thailand needs tourists, TUI may fold but the unique attractions of LOS will continue.

There may be some restrictions, but these will likley be similar in competing destinations .

Europeans may have less disposable income and reluctant to do long haul at any price but Indians and Chinese may fill the gaps.

The othe rmajor factor will be the exchange rates versus the source country relative to other choices like Bali langkawi Mauritius for thse who want a tropical beach or pattaya who want more bang for ther buck.

6 minutes ago, CuriousKen said:

Thais being swindled by foreigners? Are they? On Thai's past reputation I doubt it.

Is it just a ploy to be paid at a bad time for hotels in Thailand?

If the case was tried in Thailand the verdict would be they should be paid. If it was tried in Germany there maybe an opposite verdict.

As Thailand persists in their habits of cheating foreigners at a local level, a police level, and a government level, they should expect the same treatment from foreigners.

Clearly you didn't read the whole thread as Tui is trying it on worldwide

Tui Group defers 75% of winter hotel payments

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/369853/tui-group-defers-75-of-winter-hotel-payments

Who knows as Tui is a British-German company maybe your preferred solution is for the Thai Goverment to ban all European flights both outgoing and incoming until Tui has resolved the payment issue.

I am sure that would bring the matter to a quick conclusion

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I agree. But it's probably more like 30% of Thai GDP when all the gray area stuff and sex trade is included. 

If you talk to all the TAT experts here in quieter times more like 5%.

4.5% being European expats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Deal with it! Most of us are in the same situation. Why should they pay if nobody was staying... Idiodic to think otherwise. They clearly have to pay their customers back. Its the right thing to do you greedy pigs. 

Who says nobody stayed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Thai hoteliers provided a service and should be paid in full for that service, I see on this forum many members don't have an issue with what TUI is doing with hoteliers but do have an issue with VFS taking their money and not providing any service

TUI goes bankrupt in the near future. That is the most probable scenario. From this perspective, do you still think that they SHOULD pay up? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

TUI goes bankrupt in the near future. That is the most probable scenario. From this perspective, do you still think that they SHOULD pay up? 

If they don't pay money that they owe they wouldn't get any future business and any  hotel doing business with them in the future is going to demand money up front as their current action shows they can't be trusted to honor a contract

Is Tui planning to default and not repay the German taxpayers 

TUI AG secured a 1.8 billion-euro ($2 billion) loan from state-run KfW bank, in one of the biggest bailouts in Germany so far.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/tui-gets-2-billion-bailout-after-pandemic-halts-tour-activities

No surprise Here

Bailed-out TUI's bosses refuse to accept a pay cut despite furloughing 11,000 UK staff

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-8211035/Bailed-TUIs-bosses-refuse-accept-pay-cut-despite-furloughing-11-000-UK-staff.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TUI also run an airline and all planes will have been grouded for the past several weeks.

It's tough. I dont know the German legal system but it wouldn't surprise me if they file for bankruptcy or administration in the near future and let the  accountants sort out what should be paid to whom. ANd if that happns it won't be 100%. Maybe the hotels would do better to accept the offered 25% now and at least get something in the bank in the hope there's more to come.

Im surprised we're not hearing similar from the Scandinavian Thomas Cook survivors, Ving and Tjaerborg.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seajae said:

makes it hard if the people can no longer travel here due to covid regulations & are not going to stay in the hotels all due to the virus, why should they pay for something they are cannot use, 25% for nothing  is better than getting no money at all. I know I wouldnt pay if travel etc was banned but if the travel company has been paid it should be refunding the customers before paying the hotels anyway

Is this for rooms already taken 

• Like 1

German bankruptcy law like most put crditors in a line

First to get paid understandably are the insolvency administrators(how else would you induce skilled accountants otherwise).

Secured creditors the taxmen probably eat most of the rest , if any crumbs the unsecured creditors may just get cents on the Euro.

So whatever the merits, justice of the contracts a haircut may be better than nothing, a fine judgement.Perhaps the locals should reciprocate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Many of the bookings are for January and February. For those bookings customers have paid Tui in full, customers stayed for the full period but Tui is not paying.

For once the Thais have been scammed.

Good, Karma hurts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

When you can't pay you can't pay.  Thomas Cook went belly up too.  All that money and bills - gone.  It happens.  

Thomas Cook didn't received a huge bailout

TUI AG secured a 1.8 billion-euro ($2 billion) loan from state-run KfW bank, in one of the biggest bailouts in Germany so far.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/tui-gets-2-billion-bailout-after-pandemic-halts-tour-activities

• Like 1