Thai hoteliers appeal to PM for help after major tour group fails to pay up 2 billion baht for trips

webfact

What did TUI do with the KFW loan they got? 180 million € apparently? 

They do refunds on flight tickets. I guess they do as EU law tells them to do. Thai hotels don't matter to them. Why does Thai govt. not deal with German govt. to get assistance? How embarassing for Germany.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Letseng said:

They do refunds on flight tickets. I guess they do as EU law tells them to do. Thai hotels don't matter to them. Why does Thai govt. not deal with German govt. to get assistance? How embarassing for Germany.

1.8 billion-euro loan not 180 million euros

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Actually i think this relates to customers who DID stay in Thai hotels in the first quarter. So TUI have been paid but won't pass the money on to the Thai hotels. Terrible sharp practice.

Yes, this it is. It's simply a fraud TUI is doing. Their tob are unacceptable, only coz of the volumes they provided, it was justidied working with them. To hell with them and their Managers

• Like 1

No worries, the extra 300 baht / person at airport fees fixing to be implemented.  The Chinese and Indian tourists will save Thailand.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

Why would it be embarassing? It's a normal bankruptcy. What does the Thai gov or Germany have to do with private parties dealing with bankruptcy? If you or your business goes bankrupt it works the same. There's like 100+ other countries hotels with the same problem. 

This is a case of force majeur/act of god, like all the people hotels refused to refund, airlines refused to refund, cruiseships refused to refund, Thai schools stopped paying english teachers, Restaurants here fired their workers, millions lost their jobs world wide.

They are all doing the same right now, just this time it hits the hotel and not someone who booked there. Billions of people lost money due to covid, thai hotels aren't anywhere special. 

https://www.ft.com/content/1d384970-6478-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

Greece, Spain all hit too, TUI is the biggest tour operator in the world, and their employers are also partially fired off...

The whole travel business depends on ongoing cashflow, the hotels would have never been full without TUI and co, that's why they agree to these contracts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, seajae said:

Thailand has cancelled flights to here  till end of June, my daughter and grandson were coming here in june for 2 weeks, I prepaid domestic flights to and from bangkok on air asia and thai smile,  told them that the flights are no longer needed because they will not be arriving from Australia due to the pms no fly order, they said no refunds for the 4 flights or credits, too bad not their fault(also paid their aussie/thai flights with singapore air but they look like they will refund). Why should anyone pay Thailand businesses  anything when Thailand businesses rip off the rest of the world as they please, karma is a bitch

With Airasia you can change the dates to any other ones where seats available - for a fee and tariff difference - through your account on their web-site/smartphone application ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

All's fair in love, war, and business. Pretty naive to think a business that's struggling to survive is gonna honour it's debts, 25% seems pretty generous to me. Living in La La land will get you nowhere, accept reality and start making plans accordingly. I doubt the Thai PM has any power in this matter, maybe they're hoping for a handout.

I am sure you are correct I guess the Thai Goverment will pay the Thai Hoteliers that are out of pocket from TUI, suspend the 30 day  Visa exemption , increase the Visa fees

So everyone pays for TUI failure to honor their contracts

But as you say All's fair in love,war and business

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 1

Wow, there were so good payment terms for TUI - many other companies had conracts to pay prior to the tourists' check-outs or check-ins or even in advance plus floating deposit... ????

Highly trusted company )

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thailand hotels have slammed travel giant TUI Group which is dragging its feet over outstanding payments for stays completed between January and March.
TUI has informed hoteliers it wants to defer the bulk of payments indefinitely and is asking them to sign new contracts.
Unsurprisingly hotels are incensed.
Hotels are normally paid within 30-60 days after guests check out and TUI says it will pay 25% within 10 days - only after they sign the new contract.
The remainder of the debt is delayed indefinitely with hotels unsure of when they will be paid.
The company says it will be remitted only when TUI's business is back to normal.
Hoteliers now want Thai government officials to intervene.

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2042613

Travel Mole 2020 05-11

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Inn Between said:

I guess the little man at the top of the gov't has blown his own horn so loud and so often that Thais must be convinced he can anything, including forcing companies he has absolutely no power or control over to make unconfirmed payments. 

And now they're going to see what Prayut can magic up.  :whistling:

• Like 1

What a shame....well done TUI....do not budge.

Treat the corrupt country the way it treats others.....tell the thai gov to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Make these corrupt baboons hurt as much as possible.....they do it on a daily basis to other innocent folks, without a care in the world for anyone except themselves.

I hope this country collapses.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Blumpie said:

When you can't pay you can't pay.  Thomas Cook went belly up too.  All that money and bills - gone.  It happens.  

Britman is owed for 4 flights from air asis,and how many others.?

hundreds? Thousands?, but thats ok for the Thais government.

but someone stiffs them, and that's not ok?????

a lot of people and companies will be bent over a stump before the dust settles on this one! ????????????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Deal with it! Most of us are in the same situation. Why should they pay if nobody was staying... Idiodic to think otherwise. They clearly have to pay their customers back. Its the right thing to do you greedy pigs. 

Correct, how can you claim for something that never happened.

The tourist will be looking for a refund from the tour group for a holiday that was cancelled... rightly so.

To try to claim for a holiday package that never arrived is ludicrous.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:38 AM, malathione said:

Would be helpful if you actually bothered to read before posting. This is for services utilized. 

Good to see that some read the article before posting.

TUI looks for the weakest partners to offload their own debt.

Of course they are in trouble, having cashed in from customers and (could) not deliver service.

By European law they would have to fully reimburse which could mean instant bankruptcy.

There is ongoing legal/political battle whether offering some "coupons" to customers is acceptable practice.

Germany says yes, EU commission says no.

• Thanks 1

Here is a point. The Safari beach hotel in Patong does not give refunds.

The Pattaya hotels that i have checked only give refunds if the customer has paid extra for the option of a refund. If not - no refunds.

So, how can these hotels demand payment for rooms that were never occupied, when if they have been paid they do not give a refund when the room is not occupied?.

Pay in front to these hotels, if you do not arrive, or even give notice of not arriving - no refund.

Have the room booked and you do not arrive, they want to be paid.

Some hotels give refunds, the Pattaya Hilton for example, but is there a service fee?

14 hours ago, CuriousKen said:

Here is a point. The Safari beach hotel in Patong does not give refunds.

The Pattaya hotels that i have checked only give refunds if the customer has paid extra for the option of a refund. If not - no refunds.

So, how can these hotels demand payment for rooms that were never occupied, when if they have been paid they do not give a refund when the room is not occupied?.

Pay in front to these hotels, if you do not arrive, or even give notice of not arriving - no refund.

Have the room booked and you do not arrive, they want to be paid.

Some hotels give refunds, the Pattaya Hilton for example, but is there a service fee?

Would like to shout, but won't.

Please read, this is about bookings that were paid for by the customers to TUI, customers enjoyed their vacation, rooms were used, but TUI refuses to pay. Your post has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

• Like 2

Carpet baggers are gonna have a field day when all these guys go under. You'll be picking up stuff for a song. The question is when is the right time to enter the market, I'm guessing it hasn't quite bottomed yet. Depends a lot on how quickly the market recovers. Pattaya should be a good indicator, given the demand for cheap and friendly sex.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Would like to shout, but won't.

Please read, this is about bookings that were paid for by the customers to TUI, customers enjoyed their vacation, rooms were used, but TUI refuses to pay. Your post has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

I am trying to point out, and badly it seems, that the Thai hoteliers want their money back, but do not give money back themselves.

It seems to me if that is the way they want to play, they should not be surprised if they are treated the same way, which is: no money back.

31 minutes ago, CuriousKen said:

I am trying to point out, and badly it seems, that the Thai hoteliers want their money back, but do not give money back themselves.

It seems to me if that is the way they want to play, they should not be surprised if they are treated the same way, which is: no money back.

Your example was really bad, since these people showed up for their vacation and have paid for this to Tui. But TUI refuses to pay now. 'No money back' has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Still waiting 60 days already for my Air Asia refund...all of these travel related businesses are flat broke....don't have any money to refund anyone....maybe someone should look into the business model after this is all over

1 hour ago, CuriousKen said:

In a rare moment of lucidity, Dutch’s note on the issue was reasonably factual in content regarding the alleged action of TUI. However, your comment was worthy of note and the practice of fleecing customers of deposits has been going on for years. One year, I had paid a deposit of 5000 Bhat to a hotel in Patong but was unable to travel due to being snowed-in at LHR. I emailed the hotel to explain my situation and requested a full refund. I received a terse, poorly worded rant from the owner’s Thai wife informing me that I would not receive a refund. Her logic was that she said she had ‘checked’ (and so had I – there were no available flights for at least 5 days), that there was a flight 2 days later I could have taken for £4800 – I had paid £900 for my original flights. There you have it in the world of big business, if they ain’t gonna pay, they ain’t gonna pay. With all these big companies teetering on the edge of collapse wanting government bailouts/other, the last person on the end of the line is the customer. They have the muscle to drag these things on for so long that should it ever get to court, the claimant’s, in the instance of this topic, would have long gone bust.