Food delivery hoaxes: What is wrong with these people? Are they seeking revenge?

webfact

Food delivery hoaxes: What is wrong with these people? Are they seeking revenge?

news_wECabPEnOc133350_533.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai media reported on a major food delivery hoax in which dozens of Food Panda riders were sent to two addresses but no one accepted the food.

Fears are growing that such hoaxes are being used as a means of getting revenge. If not then it is sheer unpleasantness. 

A Facebook user questioned the mental stability of people who would do such a thing.

Daily News reported that two names were used for deliveries in Baramratchachonnanee Sois 63 and 65 in Taking Chan, Bangkok on Saturday.

But after the orders were rejected pictures showed dozens of orders liked up on the road. Daily News said nearly thirty riders were affected.

Sanook said it was forty and gave two names of people who allegedly had ordered the food. Their story appeared to relate to the same incident.

They mention 80 food orders.

96364454_2538032516511906_7412998593801355264_n_1589696305-1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook said the delivery company would take responsibility for the losses.

Thaivisa notes that food delivery motorcycles have been very noticeable in the streets of Bangkok during the long lockdown and stories about hoaxes are becoming more prevalent.

It may be a means of getting revenge, we note. 

Source: Daily News | Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-18

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

where all these deliveries going to the same address ?

If so sounds like a party was in progress so they were breaking lockdown rules 

I was also out and about today for a bike ride and it became evident that not all beaches are closed when you travel out of pattaya - a beach I visited today had a sign "open 8am - 4pm of course it was what I would class as a Thai beach

18 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

It was ordered from phone. Phone has a SIM. SIM is registered. Phone has serial number. It gets sent to network operator when the SIM connects to the network. If Wifi was used, IP address was recorded. IP can be traced back to specific internet router, and by that to specific internet connection. If this is done from home, the owner of the internet connection can be found - deep logging that most routers take would have a cache of MAC addresses that have connected. If this is public location, on top of that there would likely be CCTV cameras, and with date/time, it could be checked who was around, then trace the IMEI and use outside cameras to track person who used public Wifi and then moved out to know who at the premise was the one who did the order.

In any case, should police assist, the culprits can be found. This basically falls under computer crimes, and they went after offenders for far less.

Not just a civil case, in actuality possibly theft as the riders have paid for the food out of there own pockets in some cases, and or the restaurant has lost money as well as Food Panda, with its image being damaged... 

28 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

It was ordered from phone. Phone has a SIM. SIM is registered. Phone has serial number. It gets sent to network operator when the SIM connects to the network. If Wifi was used, IP address was recorded. IP can be traced back to specific internet router, and by that to specific internet connection. If this is done from home, the owner of the internet connection can be found - deep logging that most routers take would have a cache of MAC addresses that have connected. If this is public location, on top of that there would likely be CCTV cameras, and with date/time, it could be checked who was around, then trace the IMEI and use outside cameras to track person who used public Wifi and then moved out to know who at the premise was the one who did the order.

In any case, should police assist, the culprits can be found. This basically falls under computer crimes, and they went after offenders for far less.

Theoretically you are right. But it is a bigger effort for instance to get the correct IP number and therefore the police might not care much what I can understand. 

• Like 1

kids prank call the emergency numbers all the time

pizza place has been doing delivery via phone long before there's any 'app' yet they don't force people to pay upfront via credit card or whatever,

if it's too much trouble for the restaurant /app company or riders, they'll find a solution in either making it pre-pay only, or if the drivers are forced to pay out of pocket, they'll move on to ride for better apps

• Like 1

You cant go anywhere today in secret, several years ago and armed robbery on a rural petrol station and a request for Cctv owners on a length road 8 miles in length netted 106 offers of assistance with the police even checking the local bus cctv that was on the road at the given time. Worked out the robbers only travel 3 miles into a farm building all viewed on numerous camera recordings, so a bit like now you see it now you don't so back pedal a bit, and it was the bus recording showed it turned into a lane but a house cctv didn't show it coming out the other end, nabbed.

3 minutes ago, Almer said:

You cant go anywhere today in secret, several years ago and armed robbery on a rural petrol station and a request for Cctv owners on a length road 8 miles in length netted 106 offers of assistance with the police even checking the local bus cctv that was on the road at the given time. Worked out the robbers only travel 3 miles into a farm building all viewed on numerous camera recordings, so a bit like now you see it now you don't so back pedal a bit, and it was the bus recording showed it turned into a lane but a house cctv didn't show it coming out the other end, nabbed.

we can also add fingerprints and DNA testing.

5 minutes ago, tgw said:

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Didn't we do that as kids, as well as knock door ginger, <deleted> alight and other jinxs

Not funny for average panda rider with little in his pocket to pay for the food and then not get paid and have no money to take another order, last week we ordered 720 baht Macdonalds on grab and got a phone call from rider he not have money to but it and to reorder and pay on card please.

11 minutes ago, tgw said:

Some people annoy me when they complain about cctv etc and there civil liberties <deleted> but are the first to complain when somebody pinches a garden gnome from the door step, ID cards and stop and search the way to go.

3 minutes ago, Almer said:

Some people annoy me when they complain about cctv etc and there civil liberties <deleted> but are the first to complain when somebody pinches a garden gnome from the door step, ID cards and stop and search the way to go.

In this case, the shop must have an IP address as well as an associated hostname identifying the ISP. a court order should be necessary for the ISP to release details to the police.

It might clear the case or not... the connecting device may be used by others, for example in hotels and restaurants and cafés with "free wifi" but no record of customers. Or someone left his WiFi router open. or or or...

Moreover, the identified user however might not be the culprit - police would still have to locate the originating phone, because there are many possibilities of using someone else's internet connection.

10 minutes ago, Almer said:

Government CCTVs get a problem when they are used with a working face detection. 

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

What if wifi was not used ?

48 minutes ago, Retarded said:

Don't accept order unless it is paid with credit card. 

Difficult for the street food people but it would start to get away from this prehistoric cash only culture, maybe suit the government, but would have to still be cash in government buildings !!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

What if wifi was not used ?

It's either cellular or Wifi/LAN or (unlikely) satellite internet. Regardless, cellular has IMEI/SIM, so does satellite connection, and LAN/Wifi has external IP of the router or to the router. It's possible to trace if one is determined.

12 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

It's either cellular or Wifi/LAN or (unlikely) satellite internet. Regardless, cellular has IMEI/SIM, so does satellite connection, and LAN/Wifi has external IP of the router or to the router. It's possible to trace if one is determined.

Ok so IMEI/SIM...

So they can triangulate a signal from cell towers, still not sure what could that would be.

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Something like this happened to me, and I managed to obtain the IP address. Went to the police but they did not want to know, didn,t even know what an IP address was, but as you say, the calls can be traced since all call data is stored by the provider for at least 6 months !  I spent almost 6 months proving who had made the call. Even then the police were not interested ! So I hired Thailand,s biggest law firm and then things started to happen VERY quickly ???? Ended up with all my work being very well rewarded, but one really has to be determined to see it through !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Ok so IMEI/SIM...

So they can triangulate a signal from cell towers, still not sure what could that would be.

IMEI is unique to a phone not a SIM, so if the phone was bought legally from a store that recorded the IMEI against the purchaser, then it's traceable, assuming the original purchaser hasn't sold it on. If those conditions untrue, IMEI is no help.

SIM tracing works IF the user has legally registered the number against his/her correct name & address or ID/Passport number.

Again if the SIM and hence number has been passed on or stolen, then it is no help

Therefore, the only way IMEI/SIM tracing works is with legally owned and registered phones.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

So how does it create/bring revenge? 

Since nobody has answered your question, lets ask again.

What has revenge to do with this, and the revenge would be on who?

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

IMEI is unique to a phone not a SIM, so if the phone was bought legally from a store that recorded the IMEI against the purchaser, then it's traceable, assuming the original purchaser hasn't sold it on. If those conditions untrue, IMEI is no help.

SIM tracing works IF the user has legally registered the number against his/her correct name & address or ID/Passport number.

Again if the SIM and hence number has been passed on or stolen, then it is no help

Therefore, the only way IMEI/SIM tracing works is with legally owned and registered phones.

Thanks, yeah my phone was purchased (new) from Lazada... doubt the IMEI is recorded to my name.

My sim is not legally registered to my name, when all that nonsense came about I used a Thai ID number that I got from a Thai ID number generator.

• Thanks 1

Of course, using a card is so safe. My son in the UK has used his contactless card in the UK to pay for food orders since the lockdown. Last week he had an unknown debit - to Lazada in Vietnam! So someone has ripped off his card data. He will get the money back (easy to prove he was not in Vietnam) but now has to wait for a new card. Fortunately he recently opened a new bank account so has another card.

Lessons he learned: 

Contactless is not as safe as claimed.

Never rely on just one bank account.

I personally do not like contactless cards.

58 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Of course, using a card is so safe. My son in the UK has used his contactless card in the UK to pay for food orders since the lockdown. Last week he had an unknown debit - to Lazada in Vietnam! So someone has ripped off his card data. He will get the money back (easy to prove he was not in Vietnam) but now has to wait for a new card. Fortunately he recently opened a new bank account so has another card.

Lessons he learned: 

Contactless is not as safe as claimed.

Never rely on just one bank account.

I personally do not like contactless cards.

That particular scam could have been perpetrated on a contact OR contactless card.

The contactless feature only applies when you actually use the card in person and tap it rather than swipe it - it also removes the need to enter a PIN and only works up to a certain value (currently £45 in UK) and occasionally you're asked to enter a PIN anyway.

If you order remotely, (telephone) it's a "Cardholder not present" transaction and the contactless feature is irrelevant. Often the CVV number is requested meaning that you must have the physical card or know the number.

Yes, someone has ripped off his card data but the Lazada debit could have occurred from ANY past transaction's details having been stolen. 

As for not liking Contactless....I used to agree but I'm OK with Contactless CREDIT cards (where they have to ask me for the money) but not so keen with DEBIT cards (where I have to fight to get my money back if I'm scammed.)

Edited by VBF

10 hours ago, smedly said:

where all these deliveries going to the same address ?

If so sounds like a party was in progress so they were breaking lockdown rules 

You have not read the article whatsoever have you?

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Any free VPN can hide the IP address of the user.

20 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Your not in Europe!!! to much thinking to solve a case...lol

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

So how does it create/bring revenge? 

By wasting the time & energy of a delivery service that someone has a grudge against.. also costing them money to cover the non-delivery of food.