Can Thai nationals leave the country?

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

If they have a valid visa for the destination

And good luck finding a country that let's them in.

So many locked for overseas arrivals.

27 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Are Thai's allowed to leave?

A qualified answer would need details.

Otherwise as above: generally impossible to enter other countries (few exceptions for married, child custody or so).

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Which is why the other half of my sentence that you didn't quote said "and meet all other current requirements"

For example the U.K if married to a U.K national, no problem flying there 

thai nationals and neighbouring countries to thailand are SEEMS free to travel ONLY border cross. I know a cambodian waitress who just went to her hometown and come back like a week ago or maybe 2. But its only for land border.  its only for who hold border pass. Also this one im not sure but one of my friend told me his friend (thai national) went to Laos and came back like 2-3 days ago

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Example - mates got a 17 year old daughter ( half thai ) currently in Thailand and he would like her to fly to the uk.

If she can get a flight no issue whatsoever for her entering UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Eva Air has flights to London Heathrow (if I'm not mistaken).

I think there are also Swiss Air and Qatar Airways flights.

@ HBH: If your 17 yo daughter can secure a flight, the UK cannot prevent her entry as she is a British National.

This topic is of interest for me as I'm considering 'ditching' Thailand as my base:

I'm currently in the UK and can't get back to Thailand. Thus, in a month, once my (6yo) son's school term is finished, I'd like to bring my Wife and Son over to the UK (Wife is holding a 10-year regular visit Visa).

My work *(before the Covid-19 crisis) was international, primarily in the UAE (on rotation), I worry of the hoops I may have to jump through just to get back to my family each time, I'm concerned that we may be dealing with these issues for a couple of years. My son is in (International) Primary School in Thailand; we were looking at moving back anyway for his A levels (in about 10 years).

Thus, I figured, this could be the right time (and apply for Spouse Visa, then ILR, then British Passport etc.).

So... with all of the above in mind - I'm here in the UK, will probably just get a house here, bring my Wife and Son over for the Summer before Schools starts (obviously have processes to go through on the schooling front etc.).

The Key question is flights and admission to the UK - At this time (Covid-19) can a non-EU citizen enter the UK with a regular Visit Visa? (I've looked online, and can't see anything which suggests this is not possible)

Yes they can enter; I have a Thai friend traveling this Sunday 7th June on the weekly EVA flight.

That timing is fortunate in that they will just miss the 'quarantine' requirements that are effective from 8th June. Not that they would have been an issue but it is one less of those hoops to jump through.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Key question is flights and admission to the UK - At this time (Covid-19) can a non-EU citizen enter the UK with a regular Visit Visa? (I've looked online, and can't see anything which suggests this is not possible)

Yes, a non EU visitor can enter the UK, but will still need to satisfy the Border Force Officer on arrival that they are a genuine visitor who intends to leave the UK at the conclusion of their trip, and has the means to do so. You need to keep in mind the planned quarantine rules that will apply on arrival in the UK soon, but that shouldn't be an issue.

If your wife wishes to settle in the UK she should apply from Thailand, though of course the Visa Application process is currently on hold. There is currently a process where visitors in the UK can have their leave extended until the end of July if they cannot travel home, and can even to convert to a long stay, including Settlement, from within the UK. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents though my gut feeling is that if BF Officer suspects on arrival that your wife is travelling to the UK just to apply to settle, she may have a problem, but it's only a gut feeling.  

16 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, a non EU visitor can enter the UK, but will still need to satisfy the Border Force Officer on arrival that they are a genuine visitor who intends to leave the UK at the conclusion of their trip, and has the means to do so. You need to keep in mind the planned quarantine rules that will apply on arrival in the UK soon, but that shouldn't be an issue.

If your wife wishes to settle in the UK she should apply from Thailand, though of course the Visa Application process is currently on hold. There is currently a process where visitors in the UK can have their leave extended until the end of July if they cannot travel home, and can even to convert to a long stay, including Settlement, from within the UK. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents though my gut feeling is that if BF Officer suspects on arrival that your wife is travelling to the UK just to apply to settle, she may have a problem, but it's only a gut feeling.  

Thanks for the input.

I wonder if the decision is influenced by the fact that my Wife would be traveling with a British National.

Would 'staying with your husband' for 2 months be deemed a reasonable excuse?

On 5/18/2020 at 5:36 AM, KhunBENQ said:

A qualified answer would need details.

Otherwise as above: generally impossible to enter other countries (few exceptions for married, child custody or so).

there has never been a problem entering the uk, assuming you have the relevant passport/visa/paperwork ????

On 5/18/2020 at 4:05 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Example - mates got a 17 year old daughter ( half thai ) currently in Thailand and he would like her to fly to the uk.

She would be leaving on a Thai passport and entering UK on her british passport.

Sounds like it should be ok then?

Your friend should check the announced requirements for a 14 day self isolation period for entry to the UK

Archived