Got my 1-year Non-O (Marriage) extension today at Chaeng Wattana

I knew today's visit would be quick; here is the timeline.

0800 Arrived at CW; went through screening (no line).
0805 Took a seat at their socially-distanced queue in the large central lobby.  I was number 154 in line to get a ticket for my counter.  Note: They now pass out tickets in the line to get tickets; I guess this is to counter those who jump ahead of their place (I saw a lot of line-cutting last time, but zero this time). 
0830: Got ticket #14 for L2 (Counter 38) where people come to collect their results. 
0831: Ran downstairs to Bangkok Bank to update my passport. I do not have an ATM Card for a variety of reasons, mainly related to security, so I had to wait for the bank to open, deposit 2000THB which is the minimum deposit when you have a fixed account.
0845: Ran across the way to make copies of my passbook and passport, 75% of which was not wanted today even though I was instructed last month to bring these copies.
0855: Back upstairs.  They had already passed my number, but the nice girl said standby and she would take my package.
0915: The two ladies working at Counter 38 went on a 30-minute break. Told us all to come back later (about 20 people standing around waiting for their approval stamps).
0945: They called my number; signed the form in a couple of places, received my newly-bestamped passport, and I'm done.
0950: Went back to Bangkok Bank to withdraw some cash, as now I'm finally able to spend the 400,000 that's been languishing.  One thing I like about the marriage extension is that your cash is tied up for "only" 3 months of the year.  So now I can use it for rent, etc. until it has to be replenished again next year for seasoning. 

Interesting to read your post. 

I'm going to apply next week for my first marriage, change from retirement. 

Hope mine goes as smoothly as yours. 

With regards to your change of adress, 

Until you actually settle in 1 place,  I would just treat your situation as that you are living in on nut, but on vacation where ever you are at the time, but your wife should give her sister the heads up in case there's a knock on the door, that you live there, but have gone on a well earned family vacation. 

Incidentally, I'm selling a new condo in HH if you're interested, it's completion is scheduled for July, or I should say was, until the covid outbreak. 

4 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Interesting to read your post. 

I'm going to apply next week for my first marriage, change from retirement. 

Hope mine goes as smoothly as yours. 

With regards to your change of adress, 

Until you actually settle in 1 place,  I would just treat your situation as that you are living in on nut, but on vacation where ever you are at the time, but your wife should give her sister the heads up in case there's a knock on the door, that you live there, but have gone on a well earned family vacation. 

Incidentally, I'm selling a new condo in HH if you're interested, it's completion is scheduled for July, or I should say was, until the covid outbreak. 

Yes, I agree... we'll continue with our method of "extended vacation" while maintaining residence at the Onnut house.  We still have a lot of our stuff there, and stay there from time to time when we're in BKK -- but not during Covid, as it's bad form to mingle with family members whom we don't live with.

Feel free to PM me about your condo.  Last week, we moved from a penthouse condo into a pool villa (private yard & pool). We're really enjoying the pool villa so that might be the type of home we eventually settle into.  But we continue to research.  This is one reason why we're moving around so much.

24 minutes ago, unheard said:

Any difficulty (friction) in opening a bank account as a US national?

No problems at all; sheer simplicity. That’s why I posted the branch location.

• Thanks 1

USNret, Thank you for a well written, comprehensive report. I'm due for my 18th extension based on marriage in October, and I assume the process will change a bit by then. But your excellent report will serve as a starting point for the New Normal.

Cheers, Don (Also USN ret)

• Like 1

Thanks, I did the first part last week (application is in, I got my "under consideration" stamp).

Does anyone know offhand:

1. Will I definitely have a house visit, or is it luck of the draw?

2. My 400k THB is in SCB, which - contrary to previous advice here - doesn't have a branch at CW. For the letter I needed to make the application, we went to the branch at Big C Chaeng Wattana, but they don't open until 10.30am, so we didn't manage to apply until after 11am, and so didn't get seen until after lunch. My local branch opens at 9.30am, so I'm planning to get my second letter there for my return visit, and then taxi to CW from the bank (should get me there by 10.30am or so). Is there any other way to get a letter before 9.30am?

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, thatmanagain said:

2. My 400k THB is in SCB, which - contrary to previous advice here - doesn't have a branch at CW. For the letter I needed to make the application, we went to the branch at Big C Chaeng Wattana, but they don't open until 10.30am, so we didn't manage to apply until after 11am, and so didn't get seen until after lunch. My local branch opens at 9.30am, so I'm planning to get my second letter there for my return visit, and then taxi to CW from the bank (should get me there by 10.30am or so). Is there any other way to get a letter before 9.30am?

1. Yes if it is your first application. They will contact you about the home visit.

2. No need for a letter when you return to get your extension stamp. You only need your updated bank book and a copy of it.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes if it is your first application. They will contact you about the home visit.

2. No need for a letter when you return to get your extension stamp. You only need your updated bank book and a copy of it.

Thanks.

On #2, the officer at CW very clearly stated that they will need to see both the updated book and a new letter when I return, so I'll go with what she said.

2 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

USNret, Thank you for a well written, comprehensive report. I'm due for my 18th extension based on marriage in October, and I assume the process will change a bit by then. But your excellent report will serve as a starting point for the New Normal.

Cheers, Don (Also USN ret)

Go Navy! We ought to get together someday and swap sea stories... I mean, lies ????  

38 minutes ago, thatmanagain said:

Thanks.

On #2, the officer at CW very clearly stated that they will need to see both the updated book and a new letter when I return, so I'll go with what she said.

UbonJoe is correct... You do not need a letter when you come to pick up your results (the 1-year stamp). My IO told me something different.... 2 copies of the bank book & 2 copies of my passport.  At the final visit yesterday, they wanted only ONE copy of the bank book and zero copies of the passport.  So in other words, IO's do not know what the Counter 38 people want, so they just make up any random stuff to tell you.  Do not bring a bank letter. 

The fact that SCB does not have a branch at the Government Complex building would be reason enough for me to switch banks. I use my account ONLY for immigration purposes (i.e., to stash my 400K). If I need another account for more routine purposes, I would open a separate account for that.  I've heard too many stories of people "accidentally" dropping below 400K due to some unexpected fee, leading to massive inconvenience and confusion for their extension.  

It's real handy having your bank branch right downstairs from the immigration office, and since they open at 8:30 AM it greatly simplifies the day of your visit. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get the letter they want for my marriage extension.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I also have a SCB account and went to Big C CW where (a few weeks ago) there was already quite a que at 10 am (though mainly Thais eventually heading to the standard counters). However, I think that in 'normal' times the banks here open 09.00. Problem by going to a small local SCB branch is that they may not be familiar with the bank letter (should be a standard form though?) or a supervisor will not dare to take responsibility for signing (helps if you speak Thai, as English may be a problem).

I pressed them about the original SCB bank at the immigration office but the SCB-staff at the Big C seemed rather uneasy about this and did not volunteer any info. As far as I am aware, SCB is the only major bank that now does NOT have an office at the immigration building (three months ago it was still there).

1 hour ago, thatmanagain said:

Thanks, I did the first part last week (application is in, I got my "under consideration" stamp).

Does anyone know offhand:

Thanks.

Just to clarify... I got the house visit as a result of converting from my VE to Non-O.  Not sure if you are going through this process or not.  I got an "under consideration" stamp, and they did the house visit.  Then the Non-O conversion was approved.

They did NOT do a house visit a month later when I went back for the 1-year extension.  Even though we got another "under consideration" stamp at that time, and the IO lady suggested they *might* do a visit, I think she was bluffing.  And then they never did. 

Edited by USNret
clarity

As I mentioned in a previous post, at PT IO, l only needed updated bankbook and all the copies (passport only one photocopy of any stamper pages ), Bank letter,etc  at initial application.

After the "consideration" period, just walked in with my passport ONLY, got the stamp, and that was it.

I don't think "normally" that any confirmation of the 400k is required at the end if the consideration period.

Every office is different.

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, at PT IO, l only needed updated bankbook and all the copies (passport only one photocopy of any stamper pages ), Bank letter,etc  at initial application.

After the "consideration" period, just walked in with my passport ONLY, got the stamp, and that was it.

I don't think "normally" that any confirmation of the 400k is required at the end if the consideration period.

Every office is different.

At CW, they definitely want to see the bank book after the 1 month consideration period. Your money must still be there. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 8:02 AM, unheard said:

Any difficulty (friction) in opening a bank account as a US national?

There is particularly no difficulty openin bank account if one a is US naional. If a branch of bank officer is going to give problem, they will give problem to all foreingers. The don't pick and chose US nationals. Also I found opening a bank account in Kringsri bank in Central Festival is easy. You only need your passport. I just opened a few days prior to all the lockdowns. My plan was to go to each bank in Central Festival, Pattaya, and try out to see who can open accont for me. I already have three bank accounts now (two bangkok bans and one Krungsri). I plan to liquidate all my real estates in two continents (US/Europe) after this virus situation is resolved (may be next year) and transfer a large sums of money to Thailand and ultimately settle (I was in 6 month-in 6-month out in pre-covid days) permentatly in Thailand (I have a Thai daughter) in the next few years, I need at least 10 bank accounts in Thailand to distribute the money. 

57 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

There is particularly no difficulty openin bank account if one a is US naional. If a branch of bank officer is going to give problem, they will give problem to all foreingers. The don't pick and chose US nationals. 

There is a certain history to this with Americans. Some years back, under George Bush 2, America imposed onerous reporting requirements on foreign banks with American depositors.  The penalty for non-compliance was painful, basically cutting off banks from U.S. markets.  For foreign banks, it was not worth the risk so their response was to stop taking American customers.  This impacted American expats all over the globe, cutting them off from normal banking services.  The purpose of the law was to prevent the hiding of funds offshore, since America is one of the few countries that taxes its citizens on income wherever it is earned, all over the world. But the real impact was on us "little people" with a few thousand dollars, which was not the point of the law. 

Little by little, foreign banks have come to terms with the U.S. law, which remains in place. They have to submit specific IRS reports (the US national taxation authority) for each of their American customers.  When I applied for my account at Bangkok Bank, they had the actual IRS form which I filled out & signed on the spot. A few years ago, they would have been unable to do this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, USNret said:

Just to clarify... I got the house visit as a result of converting from my VE to Non-O.  Not sure if you are going through this process or not.  I got an "under consideration" stamp, and they did the house visit.  Then the Non-O conversion was approved.

They did NOT do a house visit a month later when I went back for the 1-year extension.  Even though we got another "under consideration" stamp at that time, and the IO lady suggested they *might* do a visit, I think she was bluffing.  And then they never did. 

I'm converting from a 90-day entry on multi-entry non-O to a 1-year extension.

My "under consideration" expires in a week, that's when I'm due back at CW.

Still no word from anyone about a home visit. If they don't show up before I'm due back there, will I get the 1-year stamp, or another "under consideration" until they find time to make that visit?

2 hours ago, thatmanagain said:

I'm converting from a 90-day entry on multi-entry non-O to a 1-year extension.

My "under consideration" expires in a week, that's when I'm due back at CW.

Still no word from anyone about a home visit. If they don't show up before I'm due back there, will I get the 1-year stamp, or another "under consideration" until they find time to make that visit?

You will not get another "under consideration" stamp.  You'll get your approval.  Probably too late now for a home visit, so I think you're good. (all the above is my opinion, but likely correct)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 12:37 AM, USNret said:

You will not get another "under consideration" stamp.  You'll get your approval.  Probably too late now for a home visit, so I think you're good. (all the above is my opinion, but likely correct)

You were absolutely correct, just to follow up there.

I'm not sure if they never showed up for the home visit, or if they came while we were out, or what. We never heard from them, and it wasn't mentioned at all on my return.

I got my full 1-year stamp, and even got the multiple re-entry permit done too, all before the lunchtime shutdown.

21 hours ago, thatmanagain said:

You were absolutely correct, just to follow up there.

I'm not sure if they never showed up for the home visit, or if they came while we were out, or what. We never heard from them, and it wasn't mentioned at all on my return.

I got my full 1-year stamp, and even got the multiple re-entry permit done too, all before the lunchtime shutdown.

Glad it worked out! If they had wanted a visit, they would have called for an appointment. I don’t think they just show up unexpectedly.

Here’s to an enjoyable year before we go through all this again.