BANGKOK
webfact

Farang in the free food queue in South Pattaya

A lot of people "lose" their passports while in Thailand. The usual story is they were robbed or pickpocketed. 

However, many years ago I learned that a valid Canadian passport was worth something like $3,000 US and a US passport could get you up to $10,000 US.

Just ask any of your friendly neighbourhood pawnshops downtown. :whistling:

(No, I have never done that myself.)

A lot of people who "lose" their passports know they can always get a replacement, or Emergency Travel Documents, to get them home where they then have the time to apply for a new one.

200 baht for a UK passport ? You'd have to be pretty far gone to let it go that cheaply.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bramley said:

They loan you the money for your flight and you have to pay it back?

He should not be worried about paying it back, surely he's learnt with his time in Thailand that no one pays a loan back!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, edwardFuture said:

This is a big problem nowadays: People  travel 10,000km only to become homeless in a faraway  country. The  embassies need to check banks statement of ALL people traveling to Thailand. In fact, this is done for example in the Thai embassies in Tokyo and Osaka. This should be done everywhere.

They do check account savings for multi entrance tourist visas but not 60 day visas. Even so he might have had the funds and spent them.

Ive zero sympathy for these losers, now scrounging off bargirls and expecting repatriation for free at some point when he’s ready.

One of the Kev in Thailand brigade of go fund me beggars I suspect.

Edited by twocatsmac

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, Susco said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

he sold his passport for 200 baht some weeks ago to a Thai stranger who said he had a very fine collection of them.

This one is gold

Yes, would fit perfectly in a movie intro monologue similarly to Dan Aykroyd's in the Dragnet movie.

Anyhow, good luck to this chap..

Edited by kotsak

1 minute ago, Canuck1966 said:

Pull the other one it's got bells on it

The Thais facilitate all the sex and booze culture here

If they didn't want to profit from it then they would have never allowed certain parts to be full of whoores and bars

Same with Las Vegas and gambling. But not all Americans are gambling. And not all of them like gamblers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Thailand is more than this sex business. Great Britain is more than Soho - or?

We're talking about Pattaya ...........

23 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Thailand is more than this sex business. Great Britain is more than Soho - or?

Which reminds me I was thinking with the Brexit downturn and the pound having lost half its value vs. the baht I would see a few English lasses waddling around the clubs here. No such luck. I guess there are enough horny Russians still in London to go around.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The British embassy have a programme where they will pay for a flight home so why is he still here?

What flight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Why Me said:

and the pound having lost half its value vs. the baht

on the eve of the UK election the pound shot up to 41.63. It hasn't been any higher than that for over a year. Today it is 38.84.

Forgive me but my maths has always been pretty good, and I reckon that is a change of less than 10%.  Slightly different to your 50% statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1